The CP+ 2020 trade show in Yokohama, Japan has been canceled

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
That does not make any sense to me. There are hardly any cases in Japan (28 the last time I checked) and the whole Tokyo metro area will not get much less crowded by cancelling a trade show or even the Olympics. I also did not understand why the MWC was cancelled. At the same time you still have long queues at millions of supermarkets around the world.

Staying at home does not make you much safer unless you really self-quarantine in your house without any contact to the outside world.

Personally I would be very angry if the Olympics were cancelled. I had to pay about $400 per night for an 11 square metre hotel room in a (at normal times) very cheap hotel and that money is not refundable. For me that is quite a lot of money. I am not rich and I am so much looking forward to visiting my third Olympics after Beijing 2008 and Rio 2016. I did not make any vacation at all last year, because I had to save all my money for the Olympics.

Of course I do not want to catch the virus, but I do not see how staying in Germany (where we also have some cases) instead of Japan should save me from catching the virus. Actually if you even live in a dangerous country like the US, staying at home might statistically even be more dangerous than visiting Japan, where crime is almost non-existant. Also inside a plane you are statistically safer than outside a plane. So cancelling flights will cause many deaths.
I can't say I agree with all of your arguments, but I'm with you! I hope the Olympics aren't canceled...

Upvote 0
Of course I do not want to catch the virus, but I do not see how staying in Germany (where we also have some cases) instead of Japan should save me from catching the virus. Actually if you even live in a dangerous country like the US, staying at home might statistically even be more dangerous than visiting Japan, where crime is almost non-existant. Also inside a plane you are statistically safer than outside a plane. So cancelling flights will cause many deaths.
It is indeed horrible to see events we look forward to getting cancelled.
But.... 2 points:
1) If you are going to stop the virus spreading, you need to lock transport down BEFORE it spreads, otherwise it already too late
2) being locked inside an airoplane for hours is just the sort of enviroment a virus would love

Upvote 0
I think Japan are taking these extreme preventive measures to hopefully avoid canceling the Olympics, however it is not looking good I'm afraid.

Now hopefully this will not delay the R5 release as fortunately Canon builds their mid to high-end cameras in Japan and produces their own sensors. For example only the card reader is being delayed for 1DX3.

That said, we are probably going to miss seeing a R5 prototype at CP+ and perhaps a chance to get more details like megapixel count, more detailed video specs etc.. which is a major bummer.

Oh well, health comes first!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
As this topic relates to parts production and distribution, it is tangentially relevant to Canon Rumors.

But, please, don't use this thread as an excuse to start making wild, judgmental claims about any nation's culture. Whether or not I or others share your views or disagree with them, please, reserve this sight for arguing about photography only, not political, health, and social issues we know even less about!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
<snip> Actually if you even live in a dangerous country like the US, staying at home might statistically even be more dangerous than visiting Japan, where crime is almost non-existant. Also inside a plane you are statistically safer than outside a plane. So cancelling flights will cause many deaths.
What do you mean "dangerous country" like the US?

Certainly no one here lives in fear daily....??

I feel perfectly safe here....always have.

Not sure at all where you're coming from on this....

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
What do you mean "dangerous country" like the US?

Certainly no one here lives in fear daily....??

I feel perfectly safe here....always have.

Not sure at all where you're coming from on this....

I do not feel unsafe in the US either, but the US have a homicide rate of 5.3 (per 100,000 people) and year, while Japan only has 0.3. That means that if less than 5 in 100,000 people die in from the virus within a year, it is safer to go to Japan than staying in an average US city. Of course it depends on where you live in the US. Comptom and Nantucket have very different homicide rates.

You are also more likely to die on you way to the airport in your car than in a plane crash. Statistics sometimes can help to put things into perspective. Climbing a ladder for a few minutes is much more dangerous than one month in Japan. 300 people per year die after falling from a ladder in the US alone and more than 200 people per year accidentally shoot themselves.

Japan has a population of 126 million and so far only one person has died there from the coronavirus. Of course the number will rise, but it will be a long way before the death risk from coronavirus is higher than the risk of getting hit by a car for example. The person who died, was over 80 by the way.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
That does not make any sense to me. There are hardly any cases in Japan (28 the last time I checked) and the whole Tokyo metro area will not get much less crowded by cancelling a trade show or even the Olympics. I also did not understand why the MWC was cancelled. At the same time you still have long queues at millions of supermarkets around the world.

Staying at home does not make you much safer unless you really self-quarantine in your house without any contact to the outside world.

Personally I would be very angry if the Olympics were cancelled. I had to pay about $400 per night for an 11 square metre hotel room in a (at normal times) very cheap hotel and that money is not refundable. For me that is quite a lot of money. I am not rich and I am so much looking forward to visiting my third Olympics after Beijing 2008 and Rio 2016. I did not make any vacation at all last year, because I had to save all my money for the Olympics.

No. Safety first. Lots of people will travel and come in contact. So this is GOOD.
Actually, are you joking?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I do not feel unsafe in the US either, but the US have a homicide rate of 5.3 (per 100,000 people) and year, while Japan only has 0.3. That means that if less than 5 in 100,000 people die in from the virus within a year, it is safer to go to Japan than staying in an average US city. Of course it depends on where you live in the US. Comptom and Nantucket have very different homicide rates.

You are also more likely to die on you way to the airport in your car than in a plane crash. Statistics sometimes can help to put things into perspective. Climbing a ladder for a few minutes is much more dangerous than one month in Japan. 300 people per year die after falling from a ladder in the US alone and more than 200 people per year accidentally shoot themselves.

Japan has a population of 126 million and so far only one person has died there from the coronavirus. Of course the number will rise, but it will be a long way before the death risk from coronavirus is higher than the risk of getting hit by a car for example. The person who died, was over 80 by the way.

Ok....just that I took your original post to making it sound like living in the US was like living in a bloodbath.....

back to photography talk

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Its because of the many Cameras, and all the accessories are made in China, and China has sealed off entire cities, Airlines are suspending travel to China, and anyone traveling from China is suspect. Just one person in a crowded environment spreading the virus is all it takes.

Since the disease is highly contagious well before any fever or symptoms show, it could be spread to hundreds of people at a trade show, and then to thousands before anyone knew it.

That's why its scary. 2% or 1 in 50 are dying, many more will be weakened for life, the medical capabilities of the world can't handle a full blown epidemic. While its not expected to reach that level, plans are being made in the US to convert available buildings to temporary hospitals that will house and keep corona virus patients separate. Huge medical supply stockpiles are already available but manufacturing more is planned and raw materials are being gathered.

As I understand it, the plan calls for non critically ill people without the virus be moved to those temporary hospitals. That keeps them from contact with the virus.

The virus is being slowed down from spreading by things like limiting trade shows or other events where international travel is needed, but its now spread wide enough that it will eventually be everywhere. Its not going to be stopped unless a antiviral medication is developed, and this type of virus tends to mutate quickly, so a antiviral may not work for long before a new strain develops.

While some in the public may not take it seriously, the medical establishment does and has been working.

I ts possible that the Olympics will be cancelled, the organizers don't want to, but if people and athletes won't or can't travel, workers refuse to show up, then it won't happen. Keeping it going is all about money, but money is not everything.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle

The US as a whole isn't a dangerous country. There are certain large metropolitan cities you do not want to live in or, in my opinion visit, but for the most part, the US is quite safe

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
As i do agree with this, its a shame its being canceled for what is a big year for Canon and they could use the good publicity. They release their new hardware pretty much every 4 years so kind of a bad situation it happens like this. This also raises questions about the up coming summer Olympics. I know F1 race in China has been postponed.

Upvote 0
As i do agree with this, its a shame its being canceled for what is a big year for Canon and they could use the good publicity. They release their new hardware pretty much every 4 years so kind of a bad situation it happens like this. This also raises questions about the up coming summer Olympics. I know F1 race in China has been postponed.

You can reach WAY more people online these days then a trade show, as we saw with
their press release. Canon wasn’t going to have any new cameras there for hands on anyways.

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Smart. Maybe they could do a few more hands on commercials about their products on youtube instead
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not? But, Canon, and Sony and Nikon, do that quite well already. They all have their well planned junkets to great locations where they invite the likes of DPR, Jared Polin, Tony Northrup and many others to test out their pre-production cameras. Then we get to see the good, the bad and the ugly of many reviews on YouTube.

Upvote 0