The exact announcement date for the Canon EOS R5 is still unknown

Bro,

you've been talking about official announcement a lot in a "RUMOR" forum, and at the same time you got info that you're hanging onto. WTH???? Just spill the rest of technical specs on the camera already .... lol

The rumoured specs of the R5 have been published here multiple times, just scroll the newsfeed back a bit.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Man you guys are a bad influence on my wallet. Discussion about memory cards ensues... I decide to just browse cards... next thing you know I just got done dropping a cool thousand on memory. Picked up two 128GB UHS-II cards (one Sony, one Sandisk), a Sandisk 128GB CFExpress card and a 512 GB Delkin CFExpress card.

What am I doing?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Man you guys are a bad influence on my wallet. Discussion about memory cards ensues... I decide to just browse cards... next thing you know I just got done dropping a cool thousand on memory. Picked up two 128GB UHS-II cards (one Sony, one Sandisk), a Sandisk 128GB CFExpress card and a 512 GB Delkin CFExpress card.

What am I doing?
I definitely realised that these cards are a significant % of the total cost. Add RF-EF adaptor, card reader (maybe dock or just use HDMI cable for the moment), grip, spare battery/charger and the accessory cost mounts up. I will stick to 128GB cards and if >1500 shots in an event, then shoot CRAW instead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, my CF Express and UHS-II SD cards just came today, so consider me totally and utterly ready.

Also picked up some more 8 TB drives ahead of the sheer onslaught of data that 20 FPS at 45 megapixels is going to leave me with..

20fps is a gimmick 99% of the times. I almost never use it on my A9, you find 10fps is plenty and gives you way too many identical shots. Still nice as an option as there are a few cases where 20fps is handy. Hopefully R5 allows custom frame rates like on 1D series, I choose 14 hi, 10 mid, 6 lo.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
20fps is a gimmick 99% of the times. I almost never use it on my A9, you find 10fps is plenty and gives you way too many identical shots. Still nice as an option as there are a few cases where 20fps is handy. Hopefully R5 allows custom frame rates like on 1D series, I choose 14 hi, 10 mid, 6 lo.

I'm that 1% unfortunately as my primary photo beat is breaking news for my newspaper, so even the 16 fps in live view on my 1dx2 often doesn't feel like enough. Plenty of moments in my career where the frontpage photo is a shot from a sequence of maybe 4 of the actual action before it was over in the blink of an eye, even when captured at 16 fps.

And to add to that, there are moments I distinctly remember where I didn't press the shutter for fear of being shot or stabbed if I made any noise, being able to shoot that 20 fps silently is going to lift a lot of weight off my chest. Before in a few of those situations I've found myself using my phone camera and shooting from the hip when I didn't feel safe to use my 1dx2.

That said, 12 fps mechanical will be fine for a dog Easter egg hunt or other silly general day to day assignments.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
As we all wait like expectant parents for that first baby (R5) to be delivered, has anyone thought about what they are going to photograph with all this new gear in the world of COVID? I have already had 5 trips canceled since the beginning of the year and don't anticipate any travel in the remainder of 2020 unless I can slip out to GTNP / YNP. Even that is a challenge considering that the National Park Lodges are closed (some availability of cabins). My focus is nature and wildlife, but I have even considered breaking out the studio gear and doing a little model photography. The only problem is that involves a models, makeup artist, etc. While there are photo opportunities in driving distance of my home, there is nothing that requires any more gear than my current 1dx II and election of L lenses. What do with all that gear? Damm the torpedoes and full speed ahead! I want my R5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well. I am looking more at the R6 than the R5 but luckily in Aus we are starting to lift internal state restrictions and Tasmania provides ample landscape and wildlife photography in Winter. AND(fingers crossed) the sun is just about to wake up from its solar minimum and we will start to see more Aurora activity which is best done in Winter. On the other hand I have no work, so therefore no friggen money and will have to wait until Xmas at best before I can get the camera. Why the hell did I write this post then? :(

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I'm that 1% unfortunately as my primary photo beat is breaking news for my newspaper, so even the 16 fps in live view on my 1dx2 often doesn't feel like enough. Plenty of moments in my career where the frontpage photo is a shot from a sequence of maybe 4 of the actual action before it was over in the blink of an eye, even when captured at 16 fps.

And to add to that, there are moments I distinctly remember where I didn't press the shutter for fear of being shot or stabbed if I made any noise, being able to shoot that 20 fps silently is going to lift a lot of weight off my chest. Before in a few of those situations I've found myself using my phone camera and shooting from the hip when I didn't feel safe to use my 1dx2.

That said, 12 fps mechanical will be fine for a dog Easter egg hunt or other silly general day to day assignments.
Don't take this the wrong way, but having 20fps is also very handy when looking for that one frame that makes it look like someone is giving a Nazi salute or a derogatory sneer, evil smirk or is just looking batcrap crazy. And we all know what editors prefer to go with.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Don't take this the wrong way, but having 20fps is also very handy when looking for that one frame that makes it look like someone is giving a Nazi salute or a derogatory sneer, evil smirk or is just looking batcrap crazy. And we all know what editors prefer to go with.
ha, editors. The papers I work with haven't had the staffing to have photo editors in years. I make most of my own photo decisions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
ha, editors. The paper I work with haven't had the staffing to have photo editors in years. I make most of my own photo decisions.
Yeah. it is definitely a sad demise in the newspaper industry. My better half used to be a journo but got out years ago and went to the dark side of Media officer for govt. Better pay.

Upvote 0
What im surprised about is how similarly priced uhs-II cards are to CFE. I suppose the backward compatibility is nice if your requirements don't need blazing write speeds so you can use old generation sd's. But it kinda makes me wish they went all in with dual CFExpress if we're going to be migrating to new generations anyway.
I agree. I get the backwards compatibility of SD cards but having 2 x CFe gives full speed to both cards and no advantage if CFe and USH-II carsd are roughly the same cost

Upvote 0

I liked Steve Martins joke about editors at the Oscars a few years ago. He said, “I turned in a script and they didn’t change one word! The word they didn’t change was on page...”

Upvote 0