The First Rule of Photography is....

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
drmikeinpdx said:
Have a camera!

Today there just happened to be a search and rescue helicopter from the local Air Force Reserve unit doing training in one of the fields next to the road where I ride my bike. I know the area well and figured that I could get to a spot where the helicopter would be right in front of Mt. St. Helens.

The Air Force guys were very cooperative subjects. :)

It was great fun for me and reinforced my belief that I should always have a camera.

Does this qualify for "Bird In Flight" :)

Upvote 0
NancyP said:
At least one camera in the house should be charged fully, have an empty card, be set to its "routine" setting , and be sitting out (or whole bag sitting out) ready to go. That way you don't lose shots, and can't roll over in bed and whine to oneself- "it's too EARLY.."

+1. I learned this one the hard way by missing too many shots of the kids doing something interesting and the two minutes it took me to get my camera ready: retrieve camera case from closet, open camera case, install right lens, speed light, adjust settings, etc.

Now I always have one body ready to go for shots around home that I can access in seconds, not minutes. I change my cameras back to fairly standard settings before I shut them down. Nothing worse than grabbing a camera for use on the kids and find out you left iit set for 20 second exposures with mirror lock-up on and 2 second delay shutter.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
AcutancePhotography said:
DominoDude said:
Learn all rules, then break them.

Well, learn the rules so that one is knowledgeable enough to make the decision when and how to use the rules appropriately. :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. It was a superquick reply. Perhaps I should have rephrased it to something like "...and then don't be afraid to break them".
A hint at that creating one's own style might require a few broken and circumvented rules.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
AcutancePhotography said:
sanj said:
PureClassA said:
First Rule of Photography is..... Buy a camera! (iPhones don't count)

Err. They they do! (Photo not mine)

Those are some nice pictures!

My city - Mumabi - is filled with HUGE hoardings of "shot on Iphone" with some fantastic photos. I felt tempted to get rid of my Sony Rx100 and to just use my Iphone. One less camera to deal with. But I won't do that yet, the IQ does not match. And Iphone does not shoot RAW... and never will I feel.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
How about this one...

In six months you will realize that you aren't as good today as you think you are... So show some humility.

Spot on! I look back at older pics that I want to revive and, at times, wonder why I didn't think the shot through enough.
My biggest 'take-away' from starting out with a DSLR - shoot raw.
If you edit photos before owning a camera, you'll have the obsession to get the shot right the first time.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
I didn't shoot raw for years because I didn't have a program that would edit or recognize the image, so there's not much I can do with the shots moving forward...

There's one in particular, where I over exposed the whole scene, and it was one of those bursts where only one image is good... And note I thin... I could have easily reduced the exposure in post and it would look... Not great, but much better... :/

KeithBreazeal said:
jdramirez said:
How about this one...

In six months you will realize that you aren't as good today as you think you are... So show some humility.

Spot on! I look back at older pics that I want to revive and, at times, wonder why I didn't think the shot through enough.
My biggest 'take-away' from starting out with a DSLR - shoot raw.
If you edit photos before owning a camera, you'll have the obsession to get the shot right the first time.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
No, but I do feel as though I keep learning stuff... I thought about saying 1 year rather than six months, but months is practically a lifetime when it comes to understanding and applying a myriad of techniques...

sanj said:
jdramirez said:
How about this one...

Is this directed at me?

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
Second and third rules for outdoor nature photography:
2. Check weather. It is nice to know if there is risk of tornado/ high winds, lightning storm, hail predicted.
3. Check hunting season. I didn't do the latter a week ago, and was alarmed to see a turkey hunter walking out while I was hiking and NOT wearing hunter-orange vest or other loud-color clothing.

Upvote 0