The First Rule of Photography is....

AcutancePhotography said:
NancyP said:
3. Check hunting season. I didn't do the latter a week ago, and was alarmed to see a turkey hunter walking out while I was hiking and NOT wearing hunter-orange vest or other loud-color clothing.

Depending on how drunk the hunters are in your area, it probably won't make a difference. :)

"Two game wardens, seven hunters and a cow." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfW2tYIn8-Q

Upvote 0
NancyP said:
I am pretty cautious about going places during deer season and duck firearms season. Bow season, not so much, though I am still cautious (they are better hunters). Turkey season - the gobblers are more challenging than either deer or ducks, and the hunters seem better than the run of the mill deer hunter.

My experience with hunters is similar. Around here shotgun season for deer is when all the idiot hunters are out shooting at anything that moves (and some things that don't...). The bow hunters and turkey hunters in general are much more skilled and less likely to shoot something that isn't their intended game.

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
MintChocs said:
Make sure you put a memory card in the camera before you leave the house with it!

Been there, done that. Nothing more embarrassing that discovering on site that you have NO cards in your camera, bag, pockets, etc.!

When I first got into dSLR photography, I refused to accept the storage requirements for RAW images, so I shot JPEGs for a couple of years. Finally came to appreciate the superior latitude RAW provides and switched over. Then, when I bought a 5D3, I stingily set it to mRAW. Then I discovered that mRAW isn't kind to colors in dark situations (at least on the 5D3; black tuxedos came out green), so I'm back to full RAW. Have I finally learned my lesson?

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
How about this one...

In six months you will realize that you aren't as good today as you think you are... So show some humility.

+1

Although I'm a much slow learner than that. It takes me a couple of years to realize that most of the pictures I took "back then" could have been better if only I knew how to recognize and fix this or that problem (and I'm not even going to talk about the HDR stage).

Upvote 0