The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

And David Breshears carried an IMAX camera to the top of Mount Everest. :)

---

Try carrying and HIKING with 75 lbs+ worth of BetaSP/DigiBeta, NicCad batteries and Water-pacs in a desert environment for 20 miles in a day for weeks straight AND carrying an M4 with all its mags too! NOT LIGHT! A Canon 1Dx2 system would have been A DREAM to have at the time for weight saving grace!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Are you telling me that you can hold all that weight in your hands and grip it well and not have sore hands at the end of the day? Because a lot of times when I do it, my hand does ache.
His arms/hands are almost as stout as his intellect. Only a problem for mortals. ;) I carry my 70-200 f/2.8L II on my 5D mark III all day, but my arms are far stronger than my intellect. ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
---

Try carrying and HIKING with 75 lbs+ worth of BetaSP/DigiBeta, NicCad batteries and Water-pacs in a desert environment for 20 miles in a day for weeks straight AND carrying an M4 with all its mags too! NOT LIGHT! A Canon 1Dx2 system would have been A DREAM to have at the time for weight saving grace!
Hmmmm.... was the helicopter in the shop?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I still have my Canon 1Ds Mark2 from billion years ago. It works almost like new. I did not use it for years tho. This line is simply undestroyable
Just curious. How do you know it works almost like new if you haven't used it for years?

Upvote 0
I absolutely do not want a tilty flippy screen on the 1DX3. There are far too many times I’m running across a venue or field to get a shot and the last thing I want to worry about is if I’m going to break the screen. I’ll put on my monitor if I need a video screen.

But you don't have to tilt or flip it. It can be positioned exactly like a fixed screen.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jimmy Chin filmed his Academy Award winning documentary Free Solo, while simultaneously shooting stills for Nat Geo and hanging 1000 ft down a rope from the top of El Capitan with a 1DX Mark II. That’s why people buy 1DX2’s for video. Not sure what else there is to say about it.

So a typical 1DX2 user will typically hang 1000ft down a rope from a top of a cliff?

Upvote 0
And David Breshears carried an IMAX camera to the top of Mount Everest. :)
All due respect to Mr Breshears but I seem to recall he had a little help. :)

In any event, Chin could have used any video cam on the market, had access to anything in Canon’s portfolio, had several C300’s on site and yet he personally used a 1DX Mark II because he thought it was the best tool for the job. He also used them for pre positioned remotes.

No argument on the ergos of DSLRs for video. As you say, the 1DX2, (or any dslr) is far from an ideal video camera but that doesn’t mean it can’t excel in certain conditions. That’s why people buy and use 1DX2s for video as hard as it is for some anti video folks to accept.

Not referring to you as anti-video Don. Your post on ergonomics was valid as far as general purpose video is concerned. I’d love to have a Cinema camera for that but my 1DX2 gets the job done for now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Jimmy Chin filmed his Academy Award winning documentary Free Solo, while simultaneously shooting stills for Nat Geo and hanging 1000 ft down a rope from the top of El Capitan with a 1DX Mark II. That’s why people buy 1DX2’s for video. Not sure what else there is to say about it.
As though a 1DX Mark II was the required equipment for such a stunt. ;) Could have taken a 60D. Either would have broken into smithereens from that height if dropped. :rolleyes: Cameras aren't afraid of heights.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Are you telling me that you can hold all that weight in your hands and grip it well and not have sore hands at the end of the day? Because a lot of times when I do it, my hand does ache.
Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying. With a non-1-series body, my hand hurt. Even with a gripped body (T1i, 5DII or 7D – my prior cameras), the ergonomics are different.

To be clear, though, the hand strap makes a world of difference. When the camera is at my side instead of at my eye, most of the weight is taken by the strap on the back of my hand, meaning it’s on my arm and not my fingers which are mostly just providing balance and enough grip to keep the body from sliding off.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying. With a non-1-series body, my hand hurt. Even with a gripped body (T1i, 5DII or 7D – my prior cameras), the ergonomics are different.

To be clear, though, the hand strap makes a world of difference. When the camera is at my side instead of at my eye, most of the weight is taken by the strap on the back of my hand, meaning it’s on my arm and not my fingers which are mostly just providing balance and enough grip to keep the body from sliding off.

Well John, I'm glad it doesn't leave your hand aching. But not all of us that do use the 1dx are so fortunate. I have a used one of those wrist straps, but not sure how much it helped.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I'm a monster. CPS hates me. I'm a pro sports photog and my 1DX and 1DXMKII'S and big whites are rocked by athletes on the sidelines, watered down for America Cup, sand swept on beaches and sea sprayed for kite and windsurfing. Yet, they keep going and keep placing food on the table. Higher resolution? I'm doing two page spreads in hi-gloss magazines and 10ft wide banners for in store displays. You want to improve my 1DXMKII, throw in something "magic" because I'm really happy. Mirrorless?? Have not seen one that can keep up yet!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
---

Technically, I AM MY OWN MEDICINE! I'm your cringe-worthy rumour gravy train steaming in from across the pond with some INSIDE DOPE on FAAAANTASTIC AV and mobile gear coming soon from some of the BIGGEST and BADDEST companies out there! Stuff with technical specs, prices and SHEER IMAGE QUALITY unmatched by anyone else! ..... AND ..... it's right here .... just around the corner .... !!!!! AND YOU TOO CAN BUY IT ALL !!!! -- CAN YOU FEEL THE THUNDER ????
In all the time you have been posting your crazy claims NOTHING has ever come to fruition. Your trolling ceased to be amusing at least a year ago. It's time for you to get some professional help.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm a monster. CPS hates me. I'm a pro sports photog and my 1DX and 1DXMKII'S and big whites are rocked by athletes on the sidelines, watered down for America Cup, sand swept on beaches and sea sprayed for kite and windsurfing. Yet, they keep going and keep placing food on the table. Higher resolution? I'm doing two page spreads in hi-gloss magazines and 10ft wide banners for in store displays. You want to improve my 1DXMKII, throw in something "magic" because I'm really happy. Mirrorless?? Have not seen one that can keep up yet!
Food on the table? But... but... 4KDRFPSIBISMEGAPIXELS!!!

Glad your 1DX is producing for you :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I've been 1DX2 for quite a while now and occasionally feel like complaining about the weight but the Jobu foot on my most used lens, the 400 DO is what holds and carries the camera in the crook of my right arm and I do that for many hours with the lens strap supporting most of the weight. It's actually worse with smaller lenses.

Today I got my R plus ND and control ring adapters. A nice little camera but oh does it feel bad with the 400 DO compared to the 1DX2. Whatever weight loss there is, the benefit is lost due to a quickly fatigued hand. With other lenses it'll probably be OK. Dropping down to the buttons and controls of the R is a bummer. I miss the two buttons on the front by the lens a lot and the AF-ON position is just so awkward as to make it a pass. Lots of programability but not in the same league as the 1DX2 if you use advanced AF modes and settings. However, there are different ways of accomplishing things and that is going to ease the pain and make this a nice backup ... until my daughter takes it from me and then I have to decide which model I'll buy. I hope it's one that is physically a little bigger (not heavier).

My biggest regret is that the 1DX2 never got more MPs.

Jack

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
The hinge and bearing need to be designed for years of DAILY use. And they need to be water-sealed. That's a hell of a beating for any rotating fitting. And the connecting ribbon cable needs to remain anchored and instact after years of vibration and falls. And then there's the additional weight, on a camera that's already 1.7kg

I can imagine the 1DX3 receiving a full touch-screen update. But I can't believe that Canon would add mechanical complexity to a functional tool like a 1D; it has to work every time, no margin for a cable getting worn or a hinge getting loose. Certainly not without extensive field testing, which isn't a luxury they appear to have before Summer 2020.

I, for one, will use the crap out of a tilt screen almost exclusively for stills.

Upvote 0