The killer feature for 6D is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Has anyone spied this little pearl?

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos_remote.aspx

As it appears:

1) Proof your shots on your phone without syncing, card readers, laptop boot, etc. -- seems Apple PhotoStream-like. Solid feature.
2) Use it as a basic remote shutter release. Nice, I guess.
3) Use your phone for Live View when the camera is in a tough position, direct sunlight, etc. I'm sure they nerfed the true functionality of LV, but I am stunned that Canon, the slow moving technology juggernaut, is trying it at all. This is a leadership / first-ever move, isn't it? (I've seen hacks of this, but never a first party offering.)

As a 5D3 owner, I am now somewhat (remotely) jealous. Not of the IQ or horsepower of the 6D, but of this very useful looking functionality. I do not see any commentary that coupling the 5D3 with a wifi transmitter will work with this app. Sadness.

All of this could be toxic for battery life (of your camera and phone), so it's not necessarily a good thing all around.

Other than this feature, I find the 6D to be a seriously nerfed FF camera, particularly with the unimpressive AF offering and button rearranging for size reasons. But this wifi / cloud-ish / Live View functionality is potentially super handy. Hats off to Canon, but please let me do this on my 5D3 with a firmware update + WiFi transmitter.

Pleasepleaseplease don't riff on 'technology marches on' and 'buyer's remorse is endemic with technology', I am well aware as a long time Apple guy. I just find it odd that something that could be tremendously useful for higher-end camera owners is only an 'entry-level' option. One would think -- even though it would need to be a klugy transmitter option -- that this gap should be rectified, right?

I welcome the forum's thoughts on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.