The last roll of Kodachrome – what would you shoot with the last 36 frames?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rienzphotoz said:
Sporgon said:
Digital has freed photography from the shackles of film. :). Unfortunately it has also devalued it enormously. :(
Very true ... I still remember cringing at the cost of developing film and seeing several of my shots were useless but I used to pay a lot more attention to how I was making an image ... but now I find myself not as careful, I guess it is the blessing or curse of PP ... but I still prefer digital, coz its easier and cheaper :-[

I think this is really wide open for debate, and I'd fall on the side of digital improving photography immensely. For every person who takes a crappy picture, there are people like me who will take 10 crappy pictures as tests, then use that as a basis for one very good image -- and the 10 crappies vanish with a delete key. And as I recall, they guy who shot that last roll of K did just that, using digital images to get his film image just right.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
distant.star said:
Rienzphotoz said:
Sporgon said:
Digital has freed photography from the shackles of film. :). Unfortunately it has also devalued it enormously. :(
Very true ... I still remember cringing at the cost of developing film and seeing several of my shots were useless but I used to pay a lot more attention to how I was making an image ... but now I find myself not as careful, I guess it is the blessing or curse of PP ... but I still prefer digital, coz its easier and cheaper :-[

I think this is really wide open for debate, and I'd fall on the side of digital improving photography immensely. For every person who takes a crappy picture, there are people like me who will take 10 crappy pictures as tests, then use that as a basis for one very good image -- and the 10 crappies vanish with a delete key. And as I recall, they guy who shot that last roll of K did just that, using digital images to get his film image just right.
+1

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Dave_NYC said:
Load up the Mars One astronauts in 2023 with all that freezer Kodachrome and tell them to shoot to their heart's content, on the basis that the astronauts apparently have as much chance of coming back as the film they're shooting does. Send 'em both out Major Tom style I say.
???

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Dave_NYC said:
Rienzphotoz said:
Dave_NYC said:
Load up the Mars One astronauts in 2023 with all that freezer Kodachrome and tell them to shoot to their heart's content, on the basis that the astronauts apparently have as much chance of coming back as the film they're shooting does. Send 'em both out Major Tom style I say.
???

'Scuse, sometimes I'm really not clear. Have to work on that :)

My point is: if the hoarded rolls of kodachrome in freezers are never going to be developed, might as well up the ante on the mystery of what exactly was shot with them. Sending it out Major Tom (ala David Bowie) on the Mars One mission would have it exit stage right on a more stylish note than it just being dropped in the rubbish bin over the years, unused.
Ok I get now ... but I see those Kodachrome rolls being sold for good money on ebay and elsewhere (even though they aren't in "working" condition)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.