The last roll of Kodachrome – what would you shoot with the last 36 frames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
distant.star said:
To answer the OP:
'd load the roll into Steve McCurry's camera, take one picture of him, then turn it over to him for the last 35 shots! The last roll of THAT film deserves a lot better than me!
Actually Steve McCurry did exactly that ... he took one picture of him standing next to a taxi and the rest were of people and places who/which meant a lot to him.
distant.star said:
Finally, as for doing justice to the last roll:
The greatest justice you could do would be to take perfectly exposed and composed and lighted pictures. I would do whatever it took to make that happen.
+1 ... I absolutely agree!
Image having the last film roll ever to be produced given to him and the exposure of some of the images are messed up, that would've been a great shame ... sure he could've got another roll and re-do the shot but then it would not have been with the last film roll that was ever produced, thus losing the impact, meaning and the soul of that video ... It was very wise of him to make "test" shots with DSLR and then get the perfect exposure with Kodachrome ... it showed his respect for Kodachrome and what it meant to him.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Mr Bean said:
Ewinter said:
A portrait, in different locations, of 36 different people from Kodak. From the chairman to the Janitor.
Get them misty about their jobs, record their thoughts on what they loved about what they did. Get them emotionally built up and then catch images so punchy and full of emotion that anyone who looks through them can't help but think what a shame it is and think about what we've lost
While I would have gone with the idea of landscapes in National Parks as being the end of the last roll, this one does seem fitting for such a beautiful film.
While I understand and appreciate the point Ewinter is making, IMHO that would have made a depressing video ... like a funeral, if I may say so.
I am sure we all would agree that we would make 36 totally different images than what Steve came up with ... but I think I understand why Steve went with those particular 36 images ... the images he made, so many years ago, in the sub-continent made him famous and thrust him into the "A" list photographers ... and he is a New Yorker, so I suppose it was his way of paying his tribute to a great tool (Kodachrome) in his favorite venues ... its like any sports person, apart from their home venue they all have a favorite venue that they really like because they've always scored well at that venue or it is the venue where they became famous etc. I like how Nat Geo made that video with Steve McCurry, it is not depressing, yet it make you feel nostalgic about a bygone era and at the same time it is uplifting, especially when you see yesteryear super stars like Robert De Niro, Amitabh Bachchan & Steve himself who are still very much relevant today, just like all those images made with Kodachrome many decades ago.

Upvote 0

m

Nov 24, 2012
Rienzphotoz said:
sure he could've got another roll and re-do the shot but then it would not have been with the last film roll that was ever produced, thus losing the impact, meaning and the soul of that video

He's not re-doing one roll, but pre-doing a hundred of them.
It's pretty much the same thing, if not worse.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
m said:
Rienzphotoz said:
sure he could've got another roll and re-do the shot but then it would not have been with the last film roll that was ever produced, thus losing the impact, meaning and the soul of that video

He's not re-doing one roll, but pre-doing a hundred of them.
It's pretty much the same thing, if not worse.
I disagree ... the intent of the photographer was showing his respect and paying tribute to a tool that (in a way) helped him to be what he is today by using the very last film roll out of production line by getting 36 perfect exposure. Bare in mind that even though he was testing the shot with a DSLR, he still needed to get the perfect shot with an "analog" camera & Kodachrome ... getting a perfect exposure with an analog camera is not as easy as people think, even if you "test fired a bunch of digital ones", it still takes a great deal of skill and a lot of thought and concentration in not screwing up the shot ... especially when you know you only got one shot at it. Therefore, IMO it is NOT "pretty much the same thing"!
By the way how do you know he was "pre-doing a hundred of them"? ... that kind of comment implies that Steve McCurry is not competent.

Upvote 0
TrumpetPower! said:
AJ said:
I'd shoot test charts, brick walls, and the inside of my lenscap.

One of these days I'm going to take it as an artistic challenge to make interesting art out of the typical measurebator subjects. Not sure yet how I'll pull it off, though I've got a few ideas....

b&

That's a great idea. It reminds me of a time back in school. We had a list of subjects that were so cliche that they were off limits to shoot. One classmate took it upon himself to combine them all in very creative ways. It was one of the best, or at least most memorable, pieces in the class.

I'd love to see what you would come up with using charts and brick walls and color chips...

Of course not with the last roll of Kodachrome. I think the right person had access to that.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I know it's not really answering the question, but I don't think I'd use it. Non of the (commercial) pictures that I produce now could have been shot and viewed on film.

Digital has freed photography from the shackles of film. :). Unfortunately it has also devalued it enormously. :(

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Rienzphotoz said:
TrumpetPower! said:
One of these days I'm going to take it as an artistic challenge to make interesting art out of the typical measurebator subjects.
Is that a typo ;D

Ha ha - I think I get your joke. The other subjects would be much more interesting ;D

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Sporgon said:
Digital has freed photography from the shackles of film. :). Unfortunately it has also devalued it enormously. :(
Very true ... I still remember cringing at the cost of developing film and seeing several of my shots were useless but I used to pay a lot more attention to how I was making an image ... but now I find myself not as careful, I guess it is the blessing or curse of PP ... but I still prefer digital, coz its easier and cheaper :-[

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
m said:
Rienzphotoz said:
coz its easier and cheaper :-[

This depends on whether you develop the film yourself, which film you are using, how many pictures you take etc.
I no longer use film cameras ... been a long time (I think 2002 was the last) but when I used to shoot film it was around 50 rolls a year.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.