The missing link: 2000$ 200-600mm lens for Sony bodies

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Received the 200-600 yesterday. Took some shots today. well performing. AF is really fast and accurate. A7III and 7RIII do work well on this lens. Handholding is very godd. Changing from 200 to 600mm is simple, the focal length can be changes by turning just about 90 degrees.
And grip space is enough for my hands.
Interesting. I have been following the Sony Forums closely on the lens. There are several complaints that the lens is too heavy and a monopod is required, but that is clearly not your experience and opinions obviously vary. Playing around with Sony bodies in the store, I think I would find them too small, just as I find the 100-400mm on the M5 very difficult compared with the 7D/5D series. Some of the shots on the 200-600mm flickr group https://www.flickr.com/groups/14620456@N20/pool/with/48364766576/ seem very sharp. But, some of the images birds in flight that you can download, especially the swallows, are pretty grim. But, they might be because of bad technique. Some, like Alex Phan who is well known in the birding field, have returned the lens because the AF is not good enough for their extremes of BIF. Everyone has different requirements for AF, and if it's good enough for you, then that is great. Enjoy your Sony + lens!

Upvote 0
Interesting. I have been following the Sony Forums closely on the lens. There are several complaints that the lens is too heavy and a monopod is required, but that is clearly not your experience and opinions obviously vary. Playing around with Sony bodies in the store, I think I would find them too small, just as I find the 100-400mm on the M5 very difficult compared with the 7D/5D series. Some of the shots on the 200-600mm flickr group https://www.flickr.com/groups/14620456@N20/pool/with/48364766576/ seem very sharp. But, some of the images birds in flight that you can download, especially the swallows, are pretty grim. But, they might be because of bad technique. Some, like Alex Phan who is well known in the birding field, have returned the lens because the AF is not good enough for their extremes of BIF. Everyone has different requirements for AF, and if it's good enough for you, then that is great. Enjoy your Sony + lens!
Well, the lens is heavy, but sometimes I shoot with the 600L II handheld, too. So, this does not matter for me (by now). But it is well balanced and the plus is, that the tube does not extend - so the balance is stable
I will use the lens on longer walks, where the 5DIV/1DXII&600mmII combo is to large/heavy. Ad the quality of my shots is quite a little bit lower than the pro´s like Mr. Phan :ROFLMAO:. So the lower AF speed is ok. The pics on this website are really pleasing - I think I´ve to learn really a lot where to get such good shots (and birds)
But most times, I´m struggling witht he menu of the 7´s...

Still waiting for Canon´s answer....

Upvote 0