The next major firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6 will come in Q1 of 2021 [CR2]

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Apparently along with the rise in positive Covid-19 tests, general crankiness, self-pity, and ingratitude are surging. Wow, what a reaction, so far, to a nice set of responses to requests being announced.

Take the gear you have and get out and take some photos and/or video of people who are dealing with real-world issues. Or just get some sunshine and fresh air if you are worried that what you have wouldn't do them justice because of how crippled and backward your gear is.

Happy Festival Season, all! And watch out for falling Snowflakes!
I got here because of my curiosity (not Canon shooter) but your last sentence make me laughing a lot - thank you!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I mean canon is getting ridiculous and so are we for thinking they will change or get better. There are some days where I’m half tempted to get rid of all of it and jump ship. Then I think of the financial loss and I get sad.
The only thing that would make me jump ship from Canon is if ARRI made a “Komodo”-like camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Somewhat video newbie here ....

I have checked the R5 manual but I can't see how itrecords non-8k video. 8K raw is full sensor width. How is 4k normal and HD video recorded? Is it pixel binning or line skipped or crop?

If I understand pixel binning (2x2 for 4k and 4x4 for HD) then the signal-to-noise ratio should be improved with the 45mp sensor width being ideal for 4k and HD recording widths. But would the pixel binning be done on the sensor or the processor? Is the latter = 4KHQ ie oversampled 8k->4k.

Is line skipping used instead? This seems to be the least best option as information is lost from the sensor.

It looks like there is a movie cropping mode - mandatory when EF-S lenses attached) but it isn't clear to me if the HD is then pixel binned or line skipped.

Does it all really matter?

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
The 1080/120 was somewhat committed to by Canon, but that is the problem with these quasi official announcements. Even this rumour is CR2 after all. From the Japan Canon site:

Regarding the content under consideration for firmware upgrade

• Supports full HD / 120P recording size
  • Added low bitrate mode to RAW and IPB for all resolutions and frame rates
  • Canon Log 3

None of that is even remotely official and wasn’t even a whim at launch. There is no such thing as “somewhat” committed to.

Upvote 0
Hey Canon. Here is my wish list for next R5 Firmware Upgrade.

* IS menu available when an IS capable lens is fitted.
This is to be able to select IS on Half Button Press Only. Useful for Superteles that run their battery hungry IS long after the shot is taken & they are back on your shoulder.

* Adjustability of VF Eye Detect sensitivity.
This to stop the case where VF is activated when a shadow passes over the sensor & the VF & IS run for another 30 seconds with corresponding hit on the battery.

* AF improvement.
To address the case where focus freezes at a given distance & won’t refocus on a new target (often closer & larger & under the spot focus square).

* Reinstatement of Canon traditional Image Playback where, after the cam shuts down after inactivity, playback resumes at the last image viewed.
At the moment if the R5 shuts down itself, playback resumes at the last shot taken again. Then a hunt for the subject image starts again.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Silly according to who?

Silly according to logic. If a camera is capable of doing 4k 120, then it's technically capable of doing higher frame rates and lower resolutions. Another one is the IS system. Why isn't their more granular IS control in the new bodies? Meaning why can't you choose to turn the IBIS off but keep lens IS. Another, keeping the 30 min record limit timer when it's no longer a legal workaround. I can go on...

artificial according to who? EOS HD?

Lol, many reviewers have shown that the limit is artificial. If you can come out with a firmware upgrade that "fixes" overheating issues which seemingly have little connection to ambient temps, then it was either artificial or the product wasn't ready for market.

no reason according to who?

I'm not claiming to understand the the ins-and-outs of Canon's (or any other company's) product development and tiering strategy , but they obviously omit features, not because the hardware isn't capable, but because they want to push consumers to a higher product tier.

To be clear, I like canon gear, I own all canon gear, and I'm really excited for their upcoming products, but I also think it's completely fair to examine companies that you like through a critical lens. (Rim shot)

Again this is not necessarily just about Canon, many tech companies play this game and it's more or less par for the course, but it's still somewhat frustrating to experience.

Upvote 0

binary

EOS R6
Nov 23, 2020
Silly according to logic. If a camera is capable of doing 4k 120, then it's technically capable of doing higher frame rates and lower resolutions.
I totally agree with you. They did exactly the same with 24fps for some other models it was the dumbest thing I've ever seen from Canon.
I'm actually glad Sony & Fuji made some awesome hybrid cameras otherwise we would stuck with canons 720p slow motion and silly paid c-log upgrades for many more years. Canon reminds me of Intel. They crippled industry for many years because of lack of the competition..

Upvote 0
I mean canon is getting ridiculous and so are we for thinking they will change or get better. There are some days where I’m half tempted to get rid of all of it and jump ship. Then I think of the financial loss and I get sad.

It is tough not having features on the 1dx3 that are on the r5 and r6. I really would like auto focus for 4k60p full frame. A simple time lapse mode would be nice to. Oh well still love my 1dx3, but a tough pill to swallow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
As a long time Canon user I wasn’t even aware it wasn’t included until I read posts from people expressing disappointment that it wasn’t added.

Strange days indeed. Most peculiar mama.

Not sure if your response was factual or facetious but either way, good for you for not noticing or caring. Doesn't change my opinion on Canon's questionable decisions sometimes. ;-)

Upvote 0