The next major firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6 will come in Q1 of 2021 [CR2]

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
* AF improvement.
To address the case where focus freezes at a given distance & won’t refocus on a new target (often closer & larger & under the spot focus square).

Where did you read reports of this? Or is this your personal observation? Not sure if it's the same problem that you're describing, but I've been struggling with an issue with my R5 and RF200-500 (and also my RF70-200, I believe), where I was unable to fire the shutter sometimes in AI Servo, continuous drive. After this happened enough times, I realized it wasn't even letting me focus during these times, even though I had a large object with plenty of good horizontal and vertical contrast. I started with 1-point AF, then went up to Expand AF area, then Expand AF area: Around, Zone AF, and finally Large Zone AF: Horizontal, as I couldn't figure out why it was randomly unable to obtain any focus points. Focusing would fail with all of those modes...some days I would have zero issues, some days it happened multiple times. But the day it happened frequently (during 5 out of 20 subjects), I did notice it was locking out the focus at the same time in each pass of the subject...so all at the same distance. I would be able to lock on while the subjects were far away, then my AF and shutter locked out as it got closer, then I was able to shoot again as the subject passed me and got further away again. And to anyone wondering, no, my buffer wasn't filling up...I only took about 3 photos each time, before it locked up on me.

Upvote 0
If you are listening Canon, I would like to be able to choose which direction the focus bracketing moves the focus. Default is near-to-far but having the ability to shoot far-to-near would be great for landscapes. It would be nice to access the function programming screen by depressing a button continuously for several seconds. Panasonic does this on the G9. It's a really nice feature. Lastly, I would die for an in-camera high-resolution composite mode. 40 meg composite would be great. 80 meg shots would be incredible.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
A heads up to Aussies. Ted's and George's are having a black Friday sale for R5/R6.
R5: $6849, sale $5822, after cash back $5572.
R6: $4499, sale $3824, after cash back $3674. (With 24-105mm stm, after cash back, $3949)

Might have to wait a while for stock though.
I already have mine put aside at $3795. It is just a matter of whether or not i get a control ring adapter or a standard one. Unfortunately it does not look like a control ring one will arrive

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I already have mine put aside at $3795. It is just a matter of whether or not i get a control ring adapter or a standard one. Unfortunately it does not look like a control ring one will arrive
I could sell you mine (control ring) for $3795, but you must be quick, it's a Black Friday (limited!) offer...

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Somewhat video newbie here ....

I have checked the R5 manual but I can't see how itrecords non-8k video. 8K raw is full sensor width. How is 4k normal and HD video recorded? Is it pixel binning or line skipped or crop?

If I understand pixel binning (2x2 for 4k and 4x4 for HD) then the signal-to-noise ratio should be improved with the 45mp sensor width being ideal for 4k and HD recording widths. But would the pixel binning be done on the sensor or the processor? Is the latter = 4KHQ ie oversampled 8k->4k.

Is line skipping used instead? This seems to be the least best option as information is lost from the sensor.

It looks like there is a movie cropping mode - mandatory when EF-S lenses attached) but it isn't clear to me if the HD is then pixel binned or line skipped.

Does it all really matter?
It is my understanding that standard 4K is line skipped.
That is not the type of thing I would expect any camera manufacturer to put in a manual.
4K HQ/Fine is downsampled.
Super 35 cropped 4K is downsampled from the 5.1K cropped area.
Folks have always complained when Canon crops or line skips.
They put in modes at full sensor 8K resolution including RAW, downsampled 4K, cropped 4K, line skipped 4K, and 1080p up to 120 FPS.
Then people complained about overheating in the modes that Canon usually leaves out.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
If you are listening Canon, I would like to be able to choose which direction the focus bracketing moves the focus. Default is near-to-far but having the ability to shoot far-to-near would be great for landscapes. It would be nice to access the function programming screen by depressing a button continuously for several seconds. Panasonic does this on the G9. It's a really nice feature. Lastly, I would die for an in-camera high-resolution composite mode. 40 meg composite would be great. 80 meg shots would be incredible.
Canon does not listen here but there is a place for suggestions on their website.
Canon is slow to respond but they do follow suggestions a lot of the time.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I could sell you mine (control ring) for $3795, but you must be quick, it's a Black Friday (limited!) offer...
Haha. Yeah. My wording on that was probably a little off. 3795 for the body and still to determine whether a control ring adapter or standard adapter is the one I get. But thanks for the offer. Very generous of you ;)

Upvote 0
where did you get one at that price.... (assuming in AUD as the original poster's feedback)?

Upvote 0
A heads up to Aussies. Ted's and George's are having a black Friday sale for R5/R6.
R5: $6849, sale $5822, after cash back $5572.
R6: $4499, sale $3824, after cash back $3674. (With 24-105mm stm, after cash back, $3949)

Might have to wait a while for stock though.

Camera Clix is even cheaper for the R5. $5609 for the R5 + $250 cash back

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
where did you get one at that price.... (assuming in AUD as the original poster's feedback)?
Camera house. Actually i just went in changed it to the kit with the 24-105 which was $4200. But they also have a 300 dollar cashback so it will come in at around 3900 total once that is done.
Edit: 4164 pre cashback. 3864 post cashback.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Camera house. Actually i just went in changed it to the kit with the 24-105 which was $4200. But they also have a 300 dollar cashback so it will come in at around 3900 total once that is done.
You have done well. Here is Sydney Camera House is selling the R5 for $5,609 + a $250 cashback.
Picked one up this morning but it was the last one in the store.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
You have done well. Here is Sydney Camera House is selling the R5 for $5,609 + a $250 cashback.
Picked one up this morning but it was the last one in the store.
I would have thought it would have been the same across the board(at least within Camera house). They had all the official signage etc which i would think all camera house stores would have to adhere to. Although they not have ANY R5's at Hobart so I didnt see what the R5 deal was.

Upvote 0
That is a massive difference to the price I paid back in July! Well done... hopefully you can receive it soon.

Upvote 0
I would have thought it would have been the same across the board(at least within Camera house). They had all the official signage etc which i would think all camera house stores would have to adhere to. Although they not have ANY R5's at Hobart so I didnt see what the R5 deal was.
I would have thought so too... still it is about a grand cheaper than when I got it. Didn't take long for the prices to drop.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
That is a massive difference to the price I paid back in July! Well done... hopefully you can receive it soon.
Huge difference. But I refused to pay the initial release price of the R6. I just thought it was overpriced in relation to theUS price. Even taking into account the dollar variation and import taxes and duties. 3800 for the body is what I thought the R6 should have been from the beginning so when I saw the BF deal i was not going to hesitate.

Upvote 0