The reshaping of the Cinema EOS line will continue into 2021, there is a Cinema EOS C90 in the pipeline [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
With the announcement of the Canon Cinema EOS C70, we can see Canon has some new plans for the Cinema EOS line in pricing as well as form factor.
The next Cinema EOS camera to be announced will likely be the Canon Cinema EOS C50, and this camera will be a small “box” style camera.
I have now heard from multiple places that Canon has a Cinema EOS C90 in the pipeline for 2021. What this camera is or will bring is unknown at this point. I’m not even sure if it’ll be an RF mount camera.
So it looks like this will be the Cinema EOS lineup by the middle of next year:

Canon Cinema EOS C50
Canon Cinema EOS C70
Canon Cinema EOS C90
Canon Cinema EOS C200 (Will there be a Mark II version?)
Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark III
Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II
Canon Cinema EOS C700
Canon Cinema EOS C700 FF

I do know that Canon is actively working on making RF mounts for some of the older Cinema EOS cameras on...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
While C50 might be the most interesting body for me, if it has good 4k with DPAF + some direkt left-right channel audio control (real knobs!) and some ND filter range (6 or better 8 stops) it might be a good alternative to the R6 for video - for photography I am well served by M50 and RP at the moment which deliver good enough video but are sometimes a little bit fiddly in terms of ergonomics.

Upvote 0
"Canon is actively working on making RF mounts for some of the older Cinema EOS cameras" – I'm guessing that those might only be RF versions of mentioned older cameras, but NOT an RF mount option for existing C300 & C500 etc.

I'm saying this because Canon made a big deal about slimming down the ND mechanism for C70 for it to be able to work within shorter flange distance of RF. I believe this mechanism is "fatter" on EF cameras and can't fit inside the RF mount.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
"Canon is actively working on making RF mounts for some of the older Cinema EOS cameras" – I'm guessing that those might only be RF versions of mentioned older cameras, but NOT an RF mount option for existing C300 & C500 etc.

I'm saying this because Canon made a big deal about slimming down the ND mechanism for C70 for it to be able to work within shorter flange distance of RF. I believe this mechanism is "fatter" on EF cameras and can't fit inside the RF mount.
It could be the rumoured 8K cameras (C700, C700 FF) going to be RF mount. Hopefully RF adapters for C300iii and C500ii.

Upvote 0
RF adapters for C300iii and C500ii

That is not possible – RF has shorter flange distance compared to EF, that's why you're able to adapt only EF lenses to RF mount and not the other way around. It might also be impossible to fit old ND system within the shorter RF flange distance, that's why I doubt any of the existing EOS C cameras will get that.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
That is not possible – RF has shorter flange distance compared to EF, that's why you're able to adapt only EF lenses to RF mount and not the other way around. It might also be impossible to fit old ND system within the shorter RF flange distance, that's why I doubt any of the existing EOS C cameras will get that.
Technically correct, but what is being talked about here is not an actual adapter but rather switching out the lens mount itself. Which is a possibility on some cinema cameras.

Upvote 0
Technically correct, but what is being talked about here is not an actual adapter but rather switching out the lens mount itself. Which is a possibility on some cinema cameras.
I'll copy my initial comment partially here :D Canon made a big deal about slimming down the ND mechanism for C70 for it to be able to work within shorter flange distance of RF. I believe EF cameras ND mechanism is "fatter" and can't fit inside the RF mount flange distance.

Upvote 0
C90 a version of R5? In which world some of you believe that c90 will lend specs from R5? R5 is an amazing tool but not even close in the league of c70/c300/c500!! C90 probably will get the same sensor of c500 mark ii or at the best an updated version of this one (maybe full frame DGO?). I remind you that c300 Mark III sensor has been measured close to 13 stops (Alexa on the top with 14) which is an excellent result! From the other hand R5 has only 10 steps of DR in all-i modes except raw which gives 11.6 if I remember good. So we r talking right now for an almost 3 stops difference in latitude between c70 and R5. So c90 will be better than c70 and will have much more difference against R5.

Upvote 0

Technically, that isn't quite fully true.

You can use a metamaterial glass-or-acrylic lens system (i.e. etched light paths) that have tiny "drilled/etched" light tubes that bend/redirect the incoming light path spreading it wider or narrower to each pixel on the sensor even on a really short flange distance mount such as the RF mount or the longer flange distance of an EF mount. This means an RF mount CAN be mated to an EF mount!

It also means we could put a Sony G-Lens or even a PENTAX LENS on a Canon R5 or a 5D mk4 camera by making the proper metamaterial lens adapter!

Of course, the metamaterial glass is VERY EXPENSIVE to manufacture. Etched/3D-printed light tubes are HOW they make one type of negative refractive index metamaterial for optical stealth systems (i.e. search for HyperStealth and/or QuantumStealth) which REDIRECT LIGHT AWAY FROM or AROUND a destination object. This same technology can be used for highly direct multi-lens super-telephoto image sensing that fits in a small box!

i.e. usually used on Spy Satellites .....

See informative links below:

AND

AND

AND

P.S. You didn't hear this from me! ;-) :) ;-)

You HAVE NOW ALREADY FORGOTTEN you have EVER read this! Right?

V

Upvote 0