The rest of 2019 for Canon will be about updating dated product lines [CR2]

Sep 26, 2018
With modern cameras focusing at f/8, the EF 100-400 plus 1.4TC is actually very similar to the 150-600 cameras. Especially since they are not true 600 mm (or 400 mm for that matter). As long as you have a body that can focus at f/8, this really isn't a hole in the lineup.

At infinity focus, you should get pretty close to the rated focal length. It's true at close focus some of the lenses are not as long as expected... Unless you're referring to something else I'm not aware of?

Upvote 0
I think there is confusion because many of your posts sound as though you care very much, but yet you are saying you don't care at all.

Not really. We are just debating about the future of camera sales. It's silly to think how well a company do will make me cry in the corner like some Canon poster said I would do because I'm wrong.

If they don't have what I need, I just move on like all my electronics and incur the cost of switching. It's a tool and inanimate object.

I care more about real estate investing right now and upcoming recession, and my family well being. :)

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
At infinity focus, you should get pretty close to the rated focal length. It's true at close focus some of the lenses are not as long as expected... Unless you're referring to something else I'm not aware of?
It depends on what you mean by "pretty close." If you look at the various patents, lenses are almost always short. Then, if you look at the actual distances to image reported at different focal lengths, you can calculate the actual focal length. As a quick example, the 100-400 II is pretty universally accepted to really be a 380-385 mm lens at the long end.

But that is Canon. I've found my 150-600S to be well short of 600 mm when playing with the calcs. It is more like 540-550 mm. So, if that is "pretty close" to 600 mm, then you are all set. For me, I've accepted that there are a number of games being played with cameras and that any spec given is more of a guideline than something you should take to the bank.

If you really want to get going, f-stop, versus actual theoretical f-stop (see patents), versus t-stop. Some lenses t-stop is 2/3 of a stop off the reported f-stop.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
If they don't have what I need, I just move on like all my electronics and incur the cost of switching. It's a tool and inanimate object.

In general I would agree with you, but not for cameras. I want a Frankencamera with Canon glass and ergonomics, Sony sensor, and Olympus feature set. Nobody makes the camera. Of the ones that are made, nothing hits all the buttons, but several are close enough to consider. Of those, there is no clear winner so I stick with what I have.

Upvote 0
In general I would agree with you, but not for cameras. I want a Frankencamera with Canon glass and ergonomics, Sony sensor, and Olympus feature set. Nobody makes the camera. Of the ones that are made, nothing hits all the buttons, but several are close enough to consider. Of those, there is no clear winner so I stick with what I have.

I want the same thing as you but there is no perfect camera exist even if you have the money to pay for it.

I also don't think it's in the interest of the camera company to make a perfect camera because that would lead to their eventual demise especially when in 2-3 years it can be had for cheap on the used and discounted old model.

As with everything in life, there are trade offs. I have learned to evaluate my priority, shooting style and professional needs.

Once I figure out my priority and what I want in a camera, I think I found one camera that come the closest to what I want and I can adapt my EF lens (24-70 2.8 II) and Sigma EF lenses. It's not perfect, but it's the camera I wished Canon would have built.
  • 5.76 million dot EVF 120 hz
  • Great ergonomic, backlit button, weather sealed, fully touch screen LCD with good menu, good color
  • 24 mpx "Sony" sensor that beat Fuji film medium format in DR test & has clean 12800 ISO
  • Dual card slot with XQD/CFExpress support
  • IBIS 6 stop (hand held 4 seconds)
  • EyeAF and AI tracking.
  • USB-C charging
  • $2500 with free battery and grip.
  • 4K 60, unlimited 4k 30, 180 FPS HD
There are some flaws with this system but nothing I deem it to be serious. I can live with those limitation especially for $2500 with $430 pre-order bonus (battery and grip). If someone come along and make a perfect camera, I'll upgrade consider it as a cheap upgrade consider my Canon 5D IV can be fetch around $2000.

I'll first to admit this upgrade is to satisfy my wants not needs. If I can create and charge people $6K for a wedding with a Canon 6D years ago, I learn really quick that gears aren't everything. At the same time, if you have money, why not enjoy life a little :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0