The 5D Mark III Megapixel Count? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
9,122
1,928
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/the-5d-mark-iii-megapixel-count-cr2/"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/the-5d-mark-iii-megapixel-count-cr2/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/the-5d-mark-iii-megapixel-count-cr2/"></a></div>
<strong>Less is more?

</strong>The new Canon mantra? A long while ago, we had heard the next version of the 5D Mark III would sport a 30+ megapixel file. We’ve heard recently that the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/11/nikon-d800-outed/">Nikon D800</a> would be announced with a 36mp sensor.</p>
<p>The latest I’ve heard about the 5D Mark III’s sensor, and it comes from multiple places. Is we’re going to see it remain in the neighbourhood of 21mp. I’ve been told both 21mp or 22mp from various people.</p>
<p><strong>Announcement?

</strong>The most consistent mention is March for an announcement. I think they’ll announce a 5D mark III type camera after the February 7, 2012  <a href="http://nikonrumors.com/2012/01/13/the-next-nikon-product-announcement-will-be-on-february-7th-2012.aspx/">announcement of the Nikon D800</a>.</p>
<p><strong>4K EOS Camera

</strong>The <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/12/in-development-canon-cinema-eos-4k-dslr/">announced development of a 4K Canon EOS DSLR</a> could make some specs that come out hard to decipher. I believe a high megapixel EOS body is coming. The question is whether it would be the 5D3 or the new 4K DSLR.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583953-REG/Canon_2764B003_EOS_5D_Mark_II.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296"><em>5D Mark II at B&H for $2169</em></a></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
 
D

D_Rochat

Guest
I'm very curious to see high res images with the modest mp Canons coming out.

Kind of off topic (but not), but I always get a kick out of people asking how many mp my dslr has. When I tell them 15mp, they give an unimpressed "oh" and comment about their point and shoot being the same or close to 15mp as well. I used to try and kindly explain that it's not all about mp, but I just smile and nod now.
 

Ricku

EOS RP
May 20, 2011
493
0
Yes yes yes! Please let it be so!

I am dreaming of a 20 - 25 MP dynamic range monster. Something that allows photographers to underexpose "like crazy", and still be able to bring all the shadowed areas back to light, without sacrificing too much IQ.

This is one of my favorite shooting styles. Works quite well on the 5D2, but the results could be better!
 
Apr 19, 2011
4,761
1
Wow so let me get this straight it will have 5fps, not even as much as the 50D and not quite enough to really be even a decent low-end compromise for action, it won't even have as many AF points as the 7D and it might just be 5D2 AF with the outer points no x-type wow big change for nearing a decade and it won't even bump up the MP so no increase in reach or detail.

So why again am I not just sticking with my 5D2 or for finally for the first time ever truly seriously eying Nikon?

Yeah it should have better video but so should any upcoming 70D or 7D2.

So what we spend another nearly $3000 to upgrade to outer x-points and 1 extra fps and better video and a touch cleaner image and this is our FF body for the next four years?

When Nikon appears ready to offer 6fps with grip, top of the line pro AF, better video, and 36MP?

The sad thing is Canon has had the tech to blow away the Nikon offerings but they care so much about not hurting themselves internally they don't care if they give away the ship in the process.
 
Apr 19, 2011
4,761
1
Ricku said:
Yes yes yes! Please let it be so!

I am dreaming of a 20 - 25 MP dynamic range monster. Something that allows photographers to underexpose "like crazy", and still be able to bring all the shadowed areas back to light, without sacrificing too much IQ.

This is one of my favorite shooting styles. Works quite well on the 5D2, but the results could be better!

That has little to do with the MP count. They could go to 8MP and still have ugly deep low ISO shadows if they can't fix up their ADC readout system.
 

Gcon

EOS 90D
Aug 12, 2010
126
0
I'm happy with 21MP. I'd be happy with 18MP. I can pano-stitch my landscapes in portrait-aspect chunks so long as there's little to no movement in the scene, and that gives many more MP. For single frame grabs like events - then 18MP stuff is plenty. The only reason I'd want more MP is for simulating reach with the crop. Maybe I just buy a longer lens instead?

That's my MP rant. For AF - I'd be more than happy if they had the same # of AP points but did two things - made them all X-type, and spread them a fair bit wider. So Canon - if you gimp the AF one more time in the 5D range, I'm afraid I'm probably out.

As for weather sealing, the 5D2 should be made to withstand heavy rain. Landscape shooters / hikers don't need a big-ass portrait grip to add bulk and weight. The 5D2 is a great size for hiking compared to the 1D line, so it should be sealed accordingly. How many out there have been burned by the poor sealing on the 5D2? I know quite a few.

If Canon can address these issues I'll buy two 5DIII. If there's more of the same, then well... the dark side awaits!
 

pakosouthpark

EOS RP
Oct 5, 2011
258
0
we'll probably see a new 4k DSLR for the really high MP. i cant wait for the announcement for full specs! hopefully in march!
 

motorhead

EOS RP
Feb 7, 2011
265
0
74
Salisbury, UK
briansquibb said:
Why not use the AF from the 1Ds3?

Brian,

As I see it the only problem is that Canon need to maintain a "quality" gap between the 1D/1Ds and their "lower" offerings. Its not so much a cost issue as a perceived difference in the ranges.

Personally I'd love to see the 5D3 with the Eos-3 45 Eye-controlled AF points.
 

stefsan

EOS 90D
Oct 12, 2011
137
0
www.flickr.com
Gcon said:
I'm happy with 21MP. I'd be happy with 18MP. I can pano-stitch my landscapes in portrait-aspect chunks so long as there's little to no movement in the scene, and that gives many more MP. For single frame grabs like events - then 18MP stuff is plenty. The only reason I'd want more MP is for simulating reach with the crop. Maybe I just buy a longer lens instead?

I would not mind a few MP more but as long as the image quality is better with 18-21 MP I happily chose quality over MP/resolution.

That's my MP rant. For AF - I'd be more than happy if they had the same # of AP points but did two things - made them all X-type, and spread them a fair bit wider. So Canon - if you gimp the AF one more time in the 5D range, I'm afraid I'm probably out.

Gcon said:
As for weather sealing, the 5D2 should be made to withstand heavy rain. Landscape shooters / hikers don't need a big-ass portrait grip to add bulk and weight. The 5D2 is a great size for hiking compared to the 1D line, so it should be sealed accordingly. How many out there have been burned by the poor sealing on the 5D2? I know quite a few.

As a landscape shooter who takes his photos mostly on hikes and in changing weather conditions I couldn't agree more! Give the cam a decent weather sealing (at least 7D style) that can withstand rain and snow.

Gcon said:
If Canon can address these issues I'll buy two 5DIII. If there's more of the same, then well... the dark side awaits!

Yeah, if they manage to put a decent AF system in (again, 7D style would be OK with me) I would be in the market for this camera.
 
B

briansquibb

Guest
motorhead said:
briansquibb said:
Why not use the AF from the 1Ds3?

Brian,

As I see it the only problem is that Canon need to maintain a "quality" gap between the 1D/1Ds and their "lower" offerings. Its not so much a cost issue as a perceived difference in the ranges.

Personally I'd love to see the 5D3 with the Eos-3 45 Eye-controlled AF points.

I understand what you mean - however the AF on the 1Ds3 is much the same as the 7D, with just a couple of extras - it would put a gap between the semi pro 5DIII and the consumer 7D without treading on the 1DX
 
C

Canon-F1

Guest
Ricku said:
Yes yes yes! Please let it be so!

I am dreaming of a 20 - 25 MP dynamic range monster. Something that allows photographers to underexpose "like crazy", and still be able to bring all the shadowed areas back to light, without sacrificing too much IQ.

This is one of my favorite shooting styles. Works quite well on the 5D2, but the results could be better!

expose to the RIGHT is what you must do with digital cameras.
otherwise you will always lose a good portion of the tonal range.

no sensor or crazy amount of DR will change that as long as the sensor (A/D) output is not linear.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

you shooting style is just wasting a ton of information.
 

gmrza

EOS RP
Jan 21, 2011
523
1
Canon Rumors said:
The most consistent mention is March for an announcement.

I've said before - I believe Canon will announce something at the beginning of March to mark the 25th anniversary of the EOS system.

The 5DIII and the 4k DSLR would both be good candidates for a March announcement.

If Canon does stick with 21 to 22 MP, it will be necessary to find some other enhancements over the 5DII that make for a significant upgrade. - One or two more stops of high ISO performance alone will not be enough to convince most users. Canon will need a whole bag of improvements.
 
C

Canon-F1

Guest
gmrza said:
The 5DIII and the 4k DSLR would both be good candidates for a March announcement.

If Canon does stick with 21 to 22 MP, it will be necessary to find some other enhancements over the 5DII that make for a significant upgrade. - One or two more stops of high ISO performance alone will not be enough to convince most users. Canon will need a whole bag of improvements.

and what enhancement would 10-15 MP more bring?
that diffraction limitation would raise it´s ugly head earlyer? ;)

im all for dynamic range enhancements, canon can stick to 21-24 MP if they ask me.
 

Gcon

EOS 90D
Aug 12, 2010
126
0
The talk about the 5DIII keeping the MP the same is fantastic. That means there's an even greater chance that their upsell over the 5DII is going to be AF and weather sealing. One can only hope. GPS built into the body would be nice, but fat chance of that I reckon.
 

simonxu11

EOS RP
Jan 11, 2012
237
0
It's hard to believe Canon will release a 5d mark III with only small improvements, unless there's another body is waiting to be released, such as "3d". Canon did this before, they could put all the new features into the 60D, but they chose to release a new model, the 7D
 
D

Doodah

Guest
LetTheRightLensIn said:
That has little to do with the MP count. They could go to 8MP and still have ugly deep low ISO shadows if they can't fix up their ADC readout system.

Canon better pull off some DRAMATIC improvements in dynamic range and high ISO performance if they plan to stay with 21 MP. It'll be quite a blow if the 36 MP D800 has better performance. I expect the D800 to achieve at least 14 eV dynamic range (on DXOMark test) going by what the D3X/D7000 can do currently. I can't imaging how the 1DX/5D3 is going to top that.
 

traveller

EOS R
Jul 22, 2010
895
58
I can't see the point of a 21MP sensor; it's not that different in resolution to the 18MP sensor fitted in the 1D X, but would mean that Canon would incur all the extra costs developing a new sensor and fabrication facility. Surely it would be more cost effective to stick to a single sensor unless there are big resolution (and hence marketing) advantages?
 

JR

EOS R
Sep 22, 2011
1,229
0
Canada
The more we get info on the new 5D mkIII the more I get puzzled as to how this new model will represent significant improvant over the current mkII or even compete with a D800. I guess we will need to see the full spec list, but if sensor size is about the same, AF is about the same, why change? Is the processor capable to deliver significant improvement using fairly the same hardware as mkII?

Quite an enigma the 5DmkIII is! ???