The 5D Mark III Megapixel Count? [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fine with what Canon is doing.

There are clearly two paths... There is high ISO performance / more studio / low light - This is the 5DmkX line and FF

There is then a speedier FPS, better suited to moving objects Crop body - which is the 7DMKx line

And if you want both? Go the 1DMKx line.

Not coincidentally the price of a 5DMK III and a 7D MKII combined will be close to... yes... Yes... You got it... The 1DMKX line.

The more I read these threads, the 7D folks want better IQ and the 5D folks want better fps / AF... The amalgamation of both really is a baby 1DMKX, but they pretty much want almost all the features and performance at half the price.

As a 5D MK II owner I would like a little more AF performance and spread, but over all it is fairly solid. If I spent more time shooting action, I would probably have gone more the 7D route, and potentially in the future, will try and pick up a 7D body used for around $1K. I have been very very tempted to sell off my T2i, batteries, grip, and the like for just such a move, but don't want to be caught with out a spare body at the moment.

I do see Canon introducing a Baby 1DX, maybe the rumored 3D... I believe this will be higher MP, with less FPS and less A/F / ISO than the 1DX line and expect it to be $4k - $4.5K

So I expect the 7D MK II to be a $2K body, a little better IQ, same A/F maybe a little more ISO and some faster FPS but still a 18 MP body.

I expect the 5D MK III to be under 25 MP, still in the 21 - 22 MP range, same A/F points, but all cross points and a bit wider spread, a step up in ISO and around the same FPS. I don't expect the 5D MK II to be a sports camera and this body to be the entry FF and $3K to $3.2K

I expect the 3D line to be 30 MP, High ISO, little lesser A/F than the 1Dx, lesser FPS, and $4K - $4.5K so the differentiation between the 1Dx line will be the 3D has higher MP, but the 1Dx remains the king in ISO, A/F, and FPS.

1Dx is the all around top
3D line is a little cheaper, little lesser, but still all around
5D line aimed at studio / FF
7D line aimed at sports / crop

1Dx line is aimed at top pros
3D line is aimed at best of both worlds for the next level (i.e. those who currently carry both a 5DMKII and 7D) and the the 5D and 7D lines are for those one a budget who do more of one style shooting than the other.

Really makes sense to me

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It's likely they can promise a 2-stop improvement in ISO noise (jpg, of course) just based on gapless microlenses and Digic5. They'll have to do more than that, I think. My contention is that they will offer improvements, but still maintain differentiation from the 1D X (better than they did with 5DII/1DsIII). So, if it's a 21-24 MP camera, they can bump the AF up a bit (a bit under the 7D), and they'll keep the frame rate low. If it's 30+ MP, less of an AF bump (or none) and an even lower frame rate.

Upvote 0
traveller said:
I can't see the point of a 21MP sensor; it's not that different in resolution to the 18MP sensor fitted in the 1D X, but would mean that Canon would incur all the extra costs developing a new sensor and fabrication facility. Surely it would be more cost effective to stick to a single sensor unless there are big resolution (and hence marketing) advantages?

exactly

that's why I'd expect the 5D3 to either have more Mpix (at least 24mpix), or stay at 18mpix and share the sensor from the 1DX... which would be absolutely perfect for me: put that sensor in a 5D2-like body, with just about slightly improved AF and fps, and you should have an overly impressive camera, one which is a huge improvement over the previous model... except at what spec checkers will concentrate on: pixel count, AF point count, and fps

edit: oh, and BTW, for a 4K, a low-pixel-count sensor is what makes most sense; 4K is just about 8mpix, 11mpix if you want to stick to 3:2 sensor aspect ratio

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Why is everyone dead sure about a product (D800) that hasn't been announced yet?

Exactly. I also have not seen a price tag quoted on it either. I am all for letting it:

- Be announced
- Be released
- Actually SEEING the performance.

- Specs and delivery can be two different things... Compare the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 versus the Canon model.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
BlueMixWhite said:
neuroanatomist said:
Why is everyone dead sure about a product (D800) that hasn't been announced yet?

I'm not too sure, but this is what I gather from read in this forum. Maybe expectation from the current D700.

I'd argue that nothing about the D700 or Nikon's past strategy would lead one to expect them to release a 36 MP FF camera.

Upvote 0
B

BornNearDaBayou

I can come up with a few of my own theories. I say the 5d III will be around 28MP, as the original rumors suggested. Remember there is SOMEONE out there shooting this prototype, and they have sent information along the way. I say AT LEAST 15 AF points, sticking with a similar diamond pattern, more cross-types, and spread over larger area. ;D

And then you have new metering system, along with new Digic 5 processor. It would be swell if the 5d III also used a Digic 4 just for AF, making the body incorporate two processors. VERY highly unlikely. I know they need to make this body very competitive to keep up with Nikon. Besides, it is their biggest seller and most popular camera. I, for one, still love my 5D II even with its apparent limitations. And these are low-light levels (shadow details, etc.). I do not care about AF so much. 9 AF pts do me just fine.

My last theory is for the D800. No one really knows the MP count yet. I can promise you if it has 36 MP the ISO performance will SUCK!! Nikon is smarter than this. Besides, it would suck the life out of D3X--and even at $8,500 you better believe there is still a small market for this over-priced beast. Who would buy the D3X for way more money and way less MP? Anyone? I think the D800 will either be 16MP, or 18-21MP. This would leave the D3X as the MP king. Or, the D800 would inherit the sensor of the D3X and the D4X would be 36MP.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
I'd argue that nothing about the D700 or Nikon's past strategy would lead one to expect them to release a 36 MP FF camera.

Didn't NikonRumors claim to have an image from a D800 that was 36MP? Sure, could have been faked.

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/12/17/cropped-nikon-d800-samples-at-high-iso.aspx/

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
BlueMixWhite said:
neuroanatomist said:

I'm not too sure, but this is what I gather from read in this forum. Maybe expectation from the current D700.

Clearly you are missing the point. The D700 is a 12MP camera. It perfectly goes to reason that the D800 would be a 36MP FF camera.

Try and keep up Neuro... Shesh. Don't you remember??? When the D300 was out the D500 was rumored to be the 16MP replacement. So why is it so hard to see that the jump from D300 to D700 was... Oh wait... The D700 lost .2 MP...

Still... You are missing the point... What indicates that the D800, will not be a 36MP camera, other than history. Does it not go to reason that if the D4 is 16MP, the D800 will be 36MP.... try and keep up Neuro.

Upvote 0
It would be strange for the D800 to be such a high MP camera. That's what the D4x will be for. There certainly is a place for high MP'ers out there but that is not a void that will be filled by the D800.

From Nikon, we'll see a D4x and Canon might release a new line. Canon has said from the start "We're combining the 1D and 1Ds". But I don't think I ever really believed that. Combine one line if you like Canon but your just going to have to start another line to make up for it. The 1Dx is a little lopsided and more fills the role of 1D replacement than 1Ds replacement.

For a while I thought the 5D3 was going to be the MP monster but now I'm not so sure. It's coming though.

Upvote 0
Maui5150 said:
neuroanatomist said:
BlueMixWhite said:
neuroanatomist said:

Clearly you are missing the point. The D700 is a 12MP camera. It perfectly goes to reason that the D800 would be a 36MP FF camera.

Try and keep up Neuro... Shesh. Don't you remember??? When the D300 was out the D500 was rumored to be the 16MP replacement. So why is it so hard to see that the jump from D300 to D700 was... Oh wait... The D700 lost .2 MP...

Still... You are missing the point... What indicates that the D800, will not be a 36MP camera, other than history. Does it not go to reason that if the D4 is 16MP, the D800 will be 36MP.... try and keep up Neuro.

HAHA +1 It's good to see someone has their sense of humor this morning... =) Everything is just speculation until something is announced, and even then things can still change up til the release date.... Perhaps we should all cool our jets until we get something concrete...

On the other hand I have credible info tomorrow's going to snow... lets debate about that haha

Upvote 0
P

Picsfor

and yet i asked just the question on the original CR1 thread about the 5D2 -
what if they released a 5D3 with 24-28mp, improved iso to 12800 working and H1 & H2 to 51k - with 9 full cross af points? Would any one buy it?

I'll add in that if they're keeping the mp rating around the low 20mp, it will have dual CF slots and improved weather sealing. These are minor things that can be added for relatively small cost - but huge marketing returns. If it also has built in gps - then you'll know it's a back packers camera and will have people jumping for their cheque books and credit cards. Those features, along with an improved AF will see many happy people rushing to pre-order.

I'm hoping to see one at Focus :)

Upvote 0
Picsfor said:
what if they released a 5D3 with 24-28mp, improved iso to 12800 working and H1 & H2 to 51k - with 9 full cross af points? Would any one buy it?

I'll add in that if they're keeping the mp rating around the low 20mp, it will have dual CF slots and improved weather sealing. These are minor things that can be added for relatively small cost - but huge marketing returns. If it also has built in gps - then you'll know it's a back packers camera and will have people jumping for their cheque books and credit cards. Those features, along with an improved AF will see many happy people rushing to pre-order.

If the 9 points were a lot more spread out than the current model then yes I would buy it. I would prefer 19 or 25 with at least 9 crosses but I probably would only use the crosses anyway. I'd take a stop better noise performance also.

So 9 cross type sensors with better spread, stop better noise performance and I don't really care how many MPs it has and yeah, I'd buy it.

Upvote 0
Picsfor said:

Would I buy it? hmmmm... perhaps... The key features I'm really looking for is at least all cross point AF sensors, levels, flash commander (popup flash or IR), and programmable mfn button. If it has those features I would but it in a heartbeat... Gravy would be dual CF, 7d weathersealing, better ISO, cleaner video... MP i'm not bothered in as long as it doesn't drop, it could remain the same for all I care. AF would be nice to see an improvement, and at least add zones like the 7d like block of 4, 1+4 surrounding, etc... It wouldn't be as functional as the 7d but it could make it more friendly and predictable than either 1 or all which it currently is at. Plus if they integrate the lock on the mode dial as standard, that would be a big plus as well.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.