The sensor in the upcoming Canon EOS R3 is designed and manufactured by Canon

Aug 7, 2018
And this is how you can use dpr tools to see the improvements at low iso - push from iso 100 to a higher iso - the improvement from 1DXII to III is there, and for the 5DIII to IV it is massive:

I wonder why the R6 has a lower dynamic range at low ISO than the R5. Shouldn't larger pixels help when it comes to dynamic range?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I wonder why the R6 has a lower dynamic range at low ISO than the R5. Shouldn't larger pixels help when it comes to dynamic range?
There are some artefacts with the R5 due to a change in amplifier circuitry between isoi320 and iso400. Larger pixels do have greater full well depth but they also have larger dark current, but that's not the problem.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Shouldn't larger pixels help when it comes to dynamic range?
No, not if you care about an image rather than an individual pixel.

Also, the R6 uses the 1DX III sensor. While that is an excellent sensor, Canon uses some even more improved technologies in the R5. And the R3 will obviously push that even further, being both stacked and back side illuminated.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Not sure what to make of this. A Thai site is showing 134,900 Baht (about 4300 USD) for R3.

https://ipricethailand.com/ราคา/canon-eos-r3/#
I would expect it to be just a misreported price for R5.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
You would need to break the laws of physics to have a two-stop improvement in noise at the iso12800 in that comparison tool setting! At high isos, the limiting factor in noise is mainly statistical fluctuations in the low number of photons captured (photon shot noise rather than electronic noise) and the signal to noise is given by sqrt(number of photons captured). Modern sensors have been greater than 80% efficient at capturing photons for several years and so there is room for only a tiny improvement, a fraction of a stop, and which is why you have seen only some improvement.

Edit: Michael, your reply was posted while I was writing mine and so sorry to repeat what you said.
Couldnt they use software and AI to help with noise and detail or at least have an advanced correction mode in case purists dont like it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Couldnt they use software and AI to help with noise and detail or at least have an advanced correction mode in case purists dont like it.
That's what we do now in post-processing or the camera does to various degrees in RAW to jpeg processing, and has done for generations and is ever improving. But, it doesn't alter the signal/noise of the sensor or its dynamic range. We already have the choice of using jpegs from Canon's in-built software or as "purists" we process the RAW files ourselves. As processors increase in power, not doubt Topaz AI Denoise or its equivalent might be able to work at 30 fps to output jpegs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
I would expect it to be just a misreported price for R5.

Thats the price of the R5 in Thailand
The shop it links to has a coming soon page with no price.
Coming soon here means at least 3 months after it is actually released.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
There are some artefacts with the R5 due to a change in amplifier circuitry between isoi320 and iso400. Larger pixels do have greater full well depth but they also have larger dark current, but that's not the problem.
I noticed that the same cameras show less dynamic range in that diagram if you crop them to APS-C. So it seems to take into consideration the pixel density of an image that helps to recover more detail. I wonder if there is another tool that gives me the dynamic range without considering the pixel density. It feels wrong to say that an image loses dynamic range by cropping it. It still is a smaller part of a larger image.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Unfortunatlely camera manufacturers already apply some noise reduction algorithms on RAW images that you can't disable. I really hate that. RAW for me means really raw pixels. That secret noise reduction is a form of cheating. They just want to make their cameras look good on paper when it comes to "RAW noise with noise reduction disabled".

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I noticed that the same cameras show less dynamic range in that diagram if you crop them to APS-C. So it seems to take into consideration the pixel density of an image that helps to recover more detail. I wonder if there is another tool that gives me the dynamic range without considering the pixel density. It feels wrong to say that an image loses dynamic range by cropping it. It still is a smaller part of a larger image.
It may feel wrong to you, but it's just math. Image height is a component of the DR measurement, a cropped image from a FF sensor has less height, therefore the DR is lower (in a non-linear way). See this.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The reason why they appear to have lower DR when cropped to APS-C mode isn't because of pixel density, it is because of the way DR is measured. They define DR as the dynamic range you see when you enlarge the image to 8"x10" and hold it at a distance equivalent to arms length. A crop image has to be enlarged 1.6x the height and 1.6x the width of a FF image, and this lowers the measured DR.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
If one looks at the thermal imaging test Roger Cicala did with an R5, it's most definitely the CFe card that is the hottest place in the camera when shooting 8K video and saving it internally.
Kolari Vision did a teardown of the internals and they now have a heatsink mod for the R5 for $400.
I am not sure that it gained enough overheat time for the mod to be worth it but Kolari Vision is an interesting company.

Upvote 0
Kolari Vision did a teardown of the internals and they now have a heatsink mod for the R5 for $400.
I am not sure that it gained enough overheat time for the mod to be worth it but Kolari Vision is an interesting company.
Interesting solution! Similar to the hack with copper heatsink that someone on youtube did but with Koalari's warranty.
What is doesn't mention is how to reduce the temperature on the back panel. It would be foolish to leave the LCD turned in and be damaged when video is being taken. Low temperature burns would also be an issue to be aware of.
Tilta advertises a cage/peltier cooler for the R5 with the cage being a massive heatsink but it doesn't appear that it can be ordered for some reason. It would reduce the back panel temperatures effectively but needs a separate power supply.

Has anyone measured the 8k raw lite record time when firmware 1.3 was released?

Upvote 0
Canon made it public about 2 or 3 so years ago that they were going to be investing a ton more money on R&D for sensors and even, if I recall correctly, open a new facility just for that purpose. I forgot all the details of the article I read about it, but it was enough to leave a lasting impression that Canon wouldn't ever be replying on other companies to produce high end sensor for their own cameras.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Interesting solution! Similar to the hack with copper heatsink that someone on youtube did but with Koalari's warranty.
What is doesn't mention is how to reduce the temperature on the back panel
People seem to focus on that copper heatsink hack but it did not even gain as much record time as the Kolari one and made the case very hot as I think will still happen with this one.
That other hack did not get it to record indefinitely until the guy put a fan into a battery grip.
I would buy that hack in a second and that one would not void a warranty unless it was the cause of the problem.

Upvote 0