The sensor in the upcoming Canon EOS R3 is designed and manufactured by Canon

Apr 25, 2011
If the resolution is the most important thing for you then it probably isn't the camera for you!

If the fact that it has 1 series AF controls and more, it takes 1 series batteries, it has faster fps than the 1DX III, it takes durability to new levels for the R system, it has all the connection capabilities the 1DX III has when the 1DX III has a $700 dongle on its side, etc etc, then it is probably the camera for you.
Is there any new information about the latter?

Upvote 0
I believe brand-identity is , for customers, at least psychologically , important in the "high-end" segment.
While it's easy to sell a Toyota with a BMW engine, it just won't work the other way. And who would ever buy a Rolex with a Swatch Group work, even if excellent ?
The question is how a Canon customer, ready to shell out a few thousand $, would appreciate his camera to be fitted with a sensor made by a company he dislikes. Whether this would impact sales in the long term, I doubt... Yet, it could be perceived a a proof of "4 letters' " superiority over one's favorite brand.
That's why, in my opinion, it's good news the R3 has a Canon sensor as this fact will also mute the Youtube "4 letter" lovers......

Who cares who manufactures the sensor? It was invented and designed by Canon. Who cares if Canon goes to TSMC to make it? or goes to Intel to make it? or goes to Samsung to make it? or, gasp, goes to Sony to make it. It's still a Canon invention. Apple doesn't care who manufactures their M1 processor as long as they can get the quantities and pricing they want. Microsoft has multiple companies making the Xbox machines. No one ever says, "that's a Wistron machine." "That's a Foxconn machine." "that's a pegatron machine." as long as the manufacturer can pump out the devices at a reasonable price, that's all they care about. Sony's imaging division doesn't really make money because of the manufacturing. They make money because of the sensors they invent.

Anyway, it's all a moot point. Canon says they both designed and manufactured the sensor. but even if they designed it but had a third party build it, it's still a Canon part.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I take your general point, but in fact, most or all Swiss brands used generic movements from Swatch for many of their models. I think in 2010 there was talk of moving away from this system but I haven't followed how things changed so it may be different now. And in fact, while BMW is about the engine and couldn't use a non-BMW engine***, the Swatch calibres ARE sort of BMW quality, or at least the nice ones are. None of the makers could do a significantly better job, so it's no shame having a Swatch movement.
Yet, despite high quality achieved by Swatch Group calibers, it certainly is no coincidence that, especially within this company, many brands stress out having specific manufacture movements. It's just about prestige, identity, not necessarily about quality.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I take your general point, but in fact, most or all Swiss brands used generic movements from Swatch for many of their models. I think in 2010 there was talk of moving away from this system but I haven't followed how things changed so it may be different now. And in fact, while BMW is about the engine and couldn't use a non-BMW engine***, the Swatch calibres ARE sort of BMW quality, or at least the nice ones are. None of the makers could do a significantly better job, so it's no shame having a Swatch movement.
Somebody with the name Swiss should take more pride in their watches! The prestige brands of Patek, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Cartier, Rolex and some of IWC produce their own movements. Most lower range mechanical Swiss watches have used ETA or Swiss ebauches for many years, and they do function very well. But, to be frank (not SwissFrank), if all you want is a timepiece that works, get a quartz one.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Completely off topic now we are on to Swiss watches, there is a lovely story about Rolex. The company was actually founded by a German, Wilsdorf, in England. For tax reasons, he moved the company to Switzerland. During WWII, British soldiers who were captured by the Germans and sent to prisoner of war camps had their watches confiscated. So, some of them wrote to Wilsdorf asking if he could send them watches and they would pay for them after the war as they had no money. He did so saying he trusted the word of a British officer. All of them paid after the war. Not only was it a great morale booster for the prisoners that a German living in Switzerland had confidence in them and their future, but they used those watches to time the movements of the guards when planning their escapes.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
Toyota with BMW or Subaru is not the right analogy.
I believe you are right. Still... why should we care at all?
Completely off topic now we are on to Swiss watches, there is a lovely story about Rolex. The company was actually founded by a German, Wilsdorf, in England. For tax reasons, he moved the company to Switzerland. During WWII, British soldiers who were captured by the Germans and sent to prisoner of war camps had their watches confiscated. So, some of them wrote to Wilsdorf asking if he could send them watches and they would pay for them after the war as they had no money. He did so saying he trusted the word of a British officer. All of them paid after the war. Not only was it a great morale booster for the prisoners that a German living in Switzerland had confidence in them and their future, but they used those watches to time the movements of the guards when planning their escapes.
Interesting story! ThnX for sharing!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I believe it's a kind of a basic (herd-like) instinct. The same phenomenon can be observed in car industry (Toyota dared to design cars with BMW and Subaru, in basketball/soccer (to name a few) when players change teams leaving the fans in limbo, etc.).
I just got annoyed because the Subaru BRZ was not available with AWD and AWD is a defining characteristic of Subaru cars.
It is not like Toyota is incapable of making cars with AWD.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Funny how some folks would rather believe Canon lied to them (the official development announcement clearly stated that the sensor was designed and manufactured by Canon) than accept that Sony might have some real competition to deal with.
I hope Canon becomes real competition with Sony in the sensor department, but it far too early to call it that.
Canon has just started marketing sensors for third parties and their lineup is not very big.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
None of their cameras with 1" sensors are their own, they are Sony's.
What’s interesting here is that according to the various sensor testing sites, and the likes of camera reviewers dpr, Canon’s implementation of those Sony 1” sensors produced better sensor characteristics to the other makes that used the same sensor. Indeed it was the same story with the smaller 2/3 Sony sourced sensors to.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Somebody with the name Swiss should take more pride in their watches! The prestige brands of Patek, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Cartier, Rolex and some of IWC produce their own movements. Most lower range mechanical Swiss watches have used ETA or Swiss ebauches for many years, and they do function very well. But, to be frank (not SwissFrank), if all you want is a timepiece that works, get a quartz one.

Who cares who manufactures the sensor? It was invented and designed by Canon. Who cares if Canon goes to TSMC to make it? or goes to Intel to make it? or goes to Samsung to make it? or, gasp, goes to Sony to make it. It's still a Canon invention. Apple doesn't care who manufactures their M1 processor as long as they can get the quantities and pricing they want. Microsoft has multiple companies making the Xbox machines. No one ever says, "that's a Wistron machine." "That's a Foxconn machine." "that's a pegatron machine." as long as the manufacturer can pump out the devices at a reasonable price, that's all they care about. Sony's imaging division doesn't really make money because of the manufacturing. They make money because of the sensors they invent.

Anyway, it's all a moot point. Canon says they both designed and manufactured the sensor. but even if they designed it but had a third party build it, it's still a Canon part.
Who cares? I do !
On the basis of pure rationality, you're absolutely right!
But many decisions, at least mine, are based on my liking or disliking, and, since I do not like Sony as a company (negative experience), I prefer by far a Canon being fitted with a Canon sensor.
And a Subaru fitted with a flat four or a flat six.
And yes, it's about subjectivity !
Edit: to quote Andrew Reid 's proud quote:ROFLMAO: : "This means that essentially the images coming out of the Canon EOS R3 are Sony images in my view"
And this is why it also matters that the sensor is not a soni !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Not that I know of, but it has an Ethernet port and no WFT port so it has to have full WiFi. I wonder if Canon being Canon they are going to not put GPS in it and that will be one of the hotshoe mount accessories.
If it doesn’t have builtin GPS, I hope the GP-E2 is still supported.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If it doesn’t have builtin GPS, I hope the GP-E2 is still supported.
i just thought it is a way of differentiating the R1 and the R3. The 1DX II has GPS the R5 doesn’t, yet the R5 has 5Ghz WiFi. So if they are going to cheap out I can see the R3 not having GPS and the R1 having it.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
None are manufactured by Sony. You've been reading BS. Done many a tear down, and they are NOT manufactured by Sony.
They are NOT.
“The G7 X Mark III's 20MP 1"-type sensor uses a Stacked CMOS design which, up until now, has only been found on Sony cameras.”

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Maybe that's also why there is no WFT port. The camera may support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, but with shorter range.
The R5 has 2.4 and 5GHz but no GPS, and no network transfer connectivity. I’d expect the R3 to have 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi, full transfer connectivity functions (like you get by adding the WFT grip to the R5 or WFT dongle to the 1DX III) but no GPS. I’d then expect the R1 to have everything internal.

But maybe the new hotshoe port is the new WFT and GPS/GP-E2 style accessory port. Although I doubt it would be the WFT port because I believe they have had their time and are now obsolete in the top end cameras, and I don’t see that being popular with news photographers that use the WFT and a hotshoe mounted flash, I see lots of them in newscasts in DC etc.

personally I use a 1DX II with WFT and with CamRangers, and I really like having GPS as a search term so including it all would be a lovely bonus I doubt I’ll get!

Last edited:
Upvote 0