There is an APS-C RF mount camera coming [CR3]

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Also, APS-C sensors are more pixel-dense than FF sensors, giving them more noise, all else equal... Meaning, you might be better off cropping from a FF sensor anyway.
That's not how noise works. Crop an FF sensor to APS-C size, and you'll get the same amount of noise you would have gotten shooting APS-C. Resolution does not matter.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
But could they make a mirrorless 7D2? We are talking 20mp, 12fps, Well built and heavily weathersealed and finally coming in at under 3k Aus$. I don't know how they did it with the 7D2 at the price they did but without all those features at that price then you may as well just go FF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Maybe you are missing that you can use EF(-S) glass too on an R-body?
And RP is not an enthusiast camera.

RP is definitely an enthusiast camera, at least by Canon terms, and transparently marketed to compete with early A7s - released at a low spec to decelerate quickly and come down to a price that competes with Sony's entry level mirrorless. And I don't think anyone is missing using EF-S glass. It's not great. And if your argument is to lose the full frame, and lose the RF Glass... I revert to my original point - why would you buy an APS-C RF mount camera?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
And if I give you the reach, speed and cost argument combined?

The high res R may match or exceed the M6 II / 90D, but it will certainly also exceed the already hefty price of the R5. And likely not go beyong the 12 FPS mechanical. If they do a RF mount camera around 2k, with 32+ MP, 20 FPS mechanical, they can offer something that FF can't do as affordable.
Especially if the noise could be better than the current crop cameras.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
And I don't think anyone is missing using EF-S glass

There are good EF-S glass. Fullframe system is too big and heavy for me (and too expensive)

I revert to my original point - why would you buy an APS-C RF mount camera?

Well, I will refer to my first comment :)

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I will take my cropped 5dsr photos over my 7D efforts every time.

If pixel surface area and (cropped) sensor surface area are equal, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever how big the sensor is outside the cropped area. If you see objective IQ differences, they're caused by differences in sensor tech/generation, AA filter strength, or processing.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
It should, but a much more affordable focal reducer, not intended just for Canon Cinema line, should be announced to make Canon DSLR APS-C user move to Canon R mirrorless easier and more affordable, moreover Canon should also create an adapter that goes 2mm inside the RF mount and allow to adapt EOS-M glass to work with future EOS R APSC cameras, it's not that easy to go inside the lens mount, but it's not impossible for Canon as the EOS- M glass "fits" at least 2mm inside the EOS R mount, that will allow a smooth transition from both DSLR and mirrorles APS-C Canon photographers.
I can see no reason for somebody to want an RF-mount APS-C camera and use it with a focal reducer instead of just buying a full-frame camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
But could they make a mirrorless 7D2? We are talking 20mp, 12fps, Well built and heavily weathersealed and finally coming in at under 3k Aus$. I don't know how they did it with the 7D2 at the price they did but without all those features at that price then you may as well just go FF.

I suspect M6 II equivalent, maybe better build, with any extra features depending on the price point they're aiming for. I doubt they'd have trouble selling it, and given that camera's current price, theres probably a bit of room for improvement.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Cinema cameras aside, why?

Who want's this over full-frame? With today's processors, FF has proven to be just as performant as something like the 7D line. If you give me the "reach" argument, then I would give you the FF crop argument. If you give me the cost argument, then I point to the RP. Cheaper than that then you're going to have an up-hill battle against Fujifilm and Sony, or you know, Canon's M lineup.

I don't think it makes any sense, but maybe that's just me. I just hope they don't split their attention developing 'RF-S' lenses that are inferior in every way.

The only way it would be remotely interesting to me is if they made a really good, significantly more compact camera body with some really good, compact, L-glass (IE, competitive with Fuji's lenses), while also obviously maintaining the ability to use FF lenses. Then, maybe I'd justify one as a travel camera/backup body.

But seeing as how they never made L-glass for EF-S...

In other words, give me an RF line of APS-C lenses that can go toe-to-toe with Fuji X or GTFO.

a 32MP (for isntance) R7 would have pixel density unmatched by anything Canon has produced. I'd slam the pre-order button like the fist of an angry diety the moment it went live.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
You're probably missing all of the people who use big whites on the 7D line. You're missing the fact that a higher end APS-C camera gives you reach without losing resolution, and at a cheaper price than an R5. Cropped to x1.6, even the R5 only gives you 17MP.

exactly. My two use-cases are birdwatching, and family day trips, etc. I have a 7Dii, and I'm getting an R5. The R5 is for that day trip use-case. Cropped down it doesn't provide the pixel density of the 7Dii. If that an R7 comes out at like 32MP or something....I mean...that's a home-run.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Using a crop camera for tele shooting vs using a FF camera with the same center resolution delivers the same results, of course - with one exception: speed, just based on processing less sensor data - if a crop mode is not already implemented on the sensor level. It is like driving into a crowed city to buy a bottle of beer with a compact car vs a huge SUV: with the smaller car you find faster a fitting parking lot, so you are earlier back at home to drink that bottle ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Maybe you are missing that you can use EF(-S) glass too on an R-body?
And RP is not an enthusiast camera.
600? Let's hope it's sealed, fast, low noise and has plenty of usable AF modes for various shooting needs. That will not be anything less than 1799 imho. The 7D crowd has needs which a 600 dollar body will never fill.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Given the hint at the feature set, this is appeasement for the 7DII whiners. The no RF-s lens comment is encouraging news for M owners. I is a tricky path to navigate, but Canon must have figured there were enough potential big whites in the mix to make this worthwhile. The 7DII crowd makes no sense to me. If you are going to spend 10 or 20 grand on glass, why not get a body (R5 or R5s) that can fully utilize it, not to mention giving you a much bigger field of view when using for what this crowd is planning?. Canon does listen to customers, so we have to assume that segment was large enough and loud enough to justify making them their very own trinket.

Upvote 0