There is an APS-C RF mount camera coming [CR3]

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Other than the issue of price, that only works if the crop frame has higher pixel density than the FF. With an R5s likely coming down the pike, I doubt that will be case, so we are down to the only reason for the camera being to save a couple of grand on body to be used with $10k lenses. Seems like a pretty thin case.
Not quite. I ran a sigma 150-600 on my 7d2 and for a price of 4k Australian i had a field of view equivalent to a FF with nearly 1000mm of focal length. That is a pretty damn affordable wildlife setup.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yes, that is just you (and a bunch of other people).

APS-C sensors are cheaper to make

Differentiation. As long as you have an APS-C model in the lineup, FF can be treated as a premium feature and you can charge more for the same or even worse overall performance. They have been able to charge a premium in DSLRs and now the R5 and R6 come with a much increased price compared to the 5D and 6D in many markets. Canon will want to be able to keep charging as much as possible. The RP becomes a moot point being based on older sensor tech and will, if it remains in the lineup, be seriously outperformed by a similarly priced APS-C model because it will at best be an entry-level FF body.

because the competition offers APS-C models in their main mount.

Because FF isn't as big a deal as it was as the greatest advantage is lost; a big nice viewfinder can be had with any sensor format when you have an EVF (and that "FF look" really doesn't matter all that much to most people and to those who crave it, well, just pay a premium to get it)

Do you recognize why people bought the 7D rather than the 6D, 5D or the 1D? If not, well, too bad.

Why bother with the 135 size sensor anyway? There are larger sensors available, not like there's anything magical about this particular size. Too large to be compact when taking lenses into account and still not large enough.

I bought a 7D over a 6D many moons ago... Always sort of regretted it, although the 7D did handle better.

Anyways, speaking of sensor size, given the size of the RF mount and lenses, I wonder if Canon could cram a larger sensor in there and still make it work—I mean, Sony basically crammed a FF sensor into an APS-C mount... Perhaps something not unlike what APS-H was to APS-C, but for full frame. I would certainly be interested in that.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Not quite. I ran a sigma 150-600 on my 7d2 and for a price of 4k Australian i had a field of view equivalent to a FF with nearly 1000mm of focal length. That is a pretty damn affordable wildlife setup.
All well and good, but you won't get any more out of that Sigma with 90D than you did with the 7D2, because it isn't there to get. As resolution goes up on camera bodies, you start hitting the limits of a lot of lenses. I have a 90D and a LOT of EF and EF-s lenses and the list of lenses that do a 33MP crop frame justice is very short and for the most part very pricey. Also, the DLA of the 90D is f/5.2, so your Sigma is well into diffraction limiting territory at the long end. My previous comment was based on those observations. It is easier to increase resolution on the sensor than it is on lenses. The high end RF lenses were clearly made to support an R5s so we don't yet even know what their limiting resolution is because Roger doesn't have a test setup for RF yet. We do know that they aren't cheap.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I'd agree if the rumour said same size/build as R5 but this thing might be smaller than an RP (no bigger apparently) with all that implies for control layout and handling. Will that satisfy the 7d crowd?
This still feels like the SL2 of the RF line with a few cheap lenses to follow but it's easy to pick holes in that!
I find this whole rumour confusing and contradictory.
Agreed. It is an early rumor, so maybe a couple of factoids and a healthy dose of wishful thinking on the rumor generator's part. A proper 7D2 replacement actually needs to be in body the size of an R5 or it will be useless for swinging big whites and it will need all the bells and whistles with the exception of 8k. That is why I pegged it a $2500. This is most likely a rumor regarding a project that has been assigned, but the project may be to have several different options available in the late 2021 time frame just in case. A limited view into a project that included both a 7D2 replacement and an SL3 (or even RP) replacement, for example, would generate confusion and contradiction.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
All well and good, but you won't get any more out of that Sigma with 90D than you did with the 7D2, because it isn't there to get. As resolution goes up on camera bodies, you start hitting the limits of a lot of lenses. I have a 90D and a LOT of EF and EF-s lenses and the list of lenses that do a 33MP crop frame justice is very short and for the most part very pricey. Also, the DLA of the 90D is f/5.2, so your Sigma is well into diffraction limiting territory at the long end. My previous comment was based on those observations. It is easier to increase resolution on the sensor than it is on lenses. The high end RF lenses were clearly made to support an R5s so we don't yet even know what their limiting resolution is because Roger doesn't have a test setup for RF yet. We do know that they aren't cheap.
Yes but you said the only reason people would buy the 'R7' is to save a couple of grand on a body that you would use with 10k lenses. That is simply NOT the case. People would be looking at it in order to save a couple of grand on the body and to pair with sub 3k(RF,EF or third party superzooms) lenses which combine to make an effective(and professionally) capable wildlife/sports rig at a very affordable price. Most people are not going to run 10k big whites on a c crop sports body. That is not what happened with the 7d2. And just because you may be entering DLA territory is not a reason to write anything off. You don't actually lose resolution with after DLA kicks in. You just don't gain resolution at the same rate as pixel density increases

Upvote 0

CanonOregon

Having fun with what I have to shoot with now.
Sep 12, 2012
Oregon
This might be a 7D replacement, so the target market is more interested in long lenses, and is willing to pay.
Exactly, the technology, over six years later, can certainly make an APS-C 'R' more interesting. I understand the 'crop' of a full frame thought, but the cost of an R5 to crop an APS-C issue against the cost of building an APS-C could be very interesting, as was the initial cost of a 7d vs. 5d models. It's been very popular for years, even six years later.

Upvote 0

Lucas Tingley

Canon EOS RP
Nov 27, 2020
Doesn't sound like a 7d2 replacement to me, smaller or even same size as an RP? would R6 control and button layout fit? Now if it was same size and layout of R6 but with R5 construction that would be a replacement. So this sounds to me like the start of a rebel line
The R5 is meant to replace the 5d line right? then where does the R6 come in. replacement for the 6d?.. hopefully not, so I don't think it will replace the 7d mk ii

And I Don't think a rebel series equivalent of mirrorless cameras deserves lenses like the 28-70 f2 and 14-21 f1.4. it pains me to see a 24-70 f2.8L on a Canon T5

Upvote 0

Lucas Tingley

Canon EOS RP
Nov 27, 2020
You're probably missing all of the people who use big whites on the 7D line. You're missing the fact that a higher end APS-C camera gives you reach without losing resolution, and at a cheaper price than an R5. Cropped to x1.6, even the R5 only gives you 17MP.

Third, you're missing the fact that no RF-S lenses have been rumored or announced, indicating that this camera is not going to be a Rebel spin-off of any kind. It's going to be a high end body that people will mount wildlife and sports lenses on.
Do EF-S lenses fit on the 7D Mark ii?

Upvote 0