There may be as many as three RF mount APS-C cameras on the horizon [CR1]

There will never be an R4. The number "4" is considered more unlucky in Japanese culture than the number "13" is in Western European culture.
Tetraphobia is much wider than just for Japan as Greater China and countries with a significant diaspora of ethnic Chinese eg south east Asia countries. Korea also tends to avoid the number 4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Well you can mount this lens on all M mount cameras too
That was the reasoning I used for preferring the 100-400 over the 100-500, but I quickly got annoyed with how the M6II + smallrig L-bracket + 100-400 handled. I also didn't like how the IS of the 100L behaved on the R5, so I decided to get the 100-500.

The pictures taken with the M6II + 100-400 are great, the copies I rented didn't have any trouble with the 32MP sensor and when shooting it side-by-side with an RP, the extra "reach" is great. Many dragonflies didn't notice being photographed :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do love my EOS M6 Mark II as my secondary body in my backpack. I use it also as my main body when out with friends, on week-ends etc.. I truly love this tiny form factor with high performances.
I hope at least one of the rumored APS-C RF Camera will have a tiny body, with lenses as tiny as the EOS-M systems.

This "feature" will determine if I'm a buyer or not.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
It'd be great if Canon decided to do that with the R7 but I don't mind paying quite a lot if it's a really good camera.
If it's basically an R6 with a new aps-c sensor I'd expect the pricing to be similar to the R6 or maybe a bit cheaper.
I'd much prefer it to be a much more serious R3 style camera though and I'd be prepared to pay a lot more as it would be better than any other camera for birding.

I'd be very happy with an R6 type of camera using a 30ish MP sensor that has the same generation of technology as the R5 and R6 sensors do. I'd pay an R6 level price for it.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Tetraphobia is much wider than just for Japan as Greater China and countries with a significant diaspora of ethnic Chinese eg south east Asia countries. Korea also tends to avoid the number 4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia

I don't doubt that at all. Most of my contact with Asian culture has been with Japanese culture. There is a Japanese owned company (not an auto manufacturer with a North American HQ, but an actual Japanese company) who has a major industrial facility in the town where I live and they are very involved in the local community and supporting the arts organizations and festivals for which I shoot.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
You can select the 1.6 crop in camera -- no waste of pixels or data throughput. Then you have the flexibility of a full frame camera for every day shooting. Two cameras in one.
Good point - serious question: does the R5 offer a crop mode? Didn't know that. My 5D4 doesn't have this option, only the aspect ration can be changed, 1:1 is the smallest image you can pre-select. Anyway, I guess an R7 as a real 7D successor should be a fast camera settled below half the prize of an R5 and - hopefully - offer everything I need for birding. For FF, I still am happy with my 5D4.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
No M camera can do what a 7D can. And i am mainly thinking about ergonomics, build quality and viewfinder. The Ms are toys next to a 7D
M cameras are nice for smaller lenses, but for bigger lenses one really needs a much better grip and overall better ergonomics, like the 7D offers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Good point - serious question: does the R5 offer a crop mode? [..]
It does, it will save 17-ish MP files, not the full 45MP a suggestion to the editor to crop it.. The view in the EVF is also adjusted, so it takes a while to notice when you have it enabled by accident :)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Good point - serious question: does the R5 offer a crop mode?
Not only does it offer such a mode, it is automatically selected for you should you use an (adapted) EF-S lens on the camera. (Not necessarily true for Tamron lenses, those will give you a "tunnel vision" effect.) This is in addition to what Koenkooi stated, which is totally correct.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I imagine…
Yes, your imagination does seem to be the source for most of your ‘factual’ information.

In April of this year (the most recent month for which data are available), Japanese camera companies produced (not shipped or sold, produced) 252K MILCs and 223K DSLRs, a ratio that’s pretty much aligned with the global ILC market for the past 18 months.

No doubt you can convince yourself that despite Canon being the global ILC market leader, all 223K DSLRs produced in April were made by someone other than Canon. Or maybe Canon abruptly and secretly stopped making DSLRs in May. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Not only does it offer such a mode, it is automatically selected for you should you use an (adapted) EF-S lens on the camera. (Not necessarily true for Tamron lenses, those will give you a "tunnel vision" effect.) This is in addition to what Koenkooi stated, which is totally correct.
Thx a lot, Steve! For me, the option to select crop with an EF lens attached would be most important. I use an EF 500mm prime + 1.4x TC quite frequently (mostly hand-held), sometimes also with a 2.0x TC, if the atmosphere is clear and enough light available. So if I could switch then to a 1.6x crop mode that would be an acceptable solution for me. 45MP in FF would give me then 17,5 MP, which is in fact close to the old 7D Mk I, with a more than a decade better tech, first of all a much improved noise floor. Good enough for nicely detailed images if I do not need to crop further, although I'd prefer 24 MP for APS-C as a sweet spot with current tech.

I already decided to wait what Canon will really do with its rumored APS-C-cameras for RF mount. But that brings the R5 definitely back again on my list, if Canon doesn't come up with a decent R7 in 2021-22. My old 7D2 still works w/o any flaws, but I am not happy with its AF performance in action settings, only with a lot of light and contrast it is quite reliable.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Of all ILCs sold in the first 4 months of 2021, 56% were MILCs, and 44% were DSLRs. For all of 2020, those were 55% and 45%, respectively

I must’ve missed Canon‘s announcement they discontinued their camera lines that comprise nearly half of the current ILC market.

I know that you believe Canon makes stupid decisions, and that you seem to think you’re really good with the facts and the numbers and such, so forgive me for being just a teensy weensy bit skeptical.
Oh no, Canon's management definitely isn't stupid, since this company still is the biggest camera manufacturer, even in these tough times. But, looking back in Canon's history, they sometimes proved to be capable of quite radical, disruptive decisions after they waited a while and observed the markets. In particular, they did it with the change from the old FD to the EF mount. Many Canon users were upset back then because of the incompatibility of both mounts. But in the long run it was a much wiser decision than Nikon's strategy to keep compatibility alive by ignoring the problems coming with a more and more error susceptible complexity. By contrast, the EF mount was a new clean design and allowed for fast USM AF drives, which made a lot of pros to switch from Nikon to Canon in the 90s. I know from own experience with our Nikon gear e.g. this "F22" error :devilish:, when the lens once again stops to communicate with the camera - favorably in critical action settings when you want your gear to work, not to quirk...

So, lets see what happens to Canon's DSLR products in future. I personally wouldn't be surprised if they slowly phased out this tech now, by cutting back the number of different models offered.

Upvote 0
I am now considering my next move since there is very little news on the M. Canon has to realize people are already leaving Canon because of their lack of customer support in helping consumers decide to stick with M or not. As I look at other brands they seem to be more transparent about future plans. I stopped buying lenses about a year ago and I see people doing incredible thinks with the EOS-M with black magic software getting 4K video with the original EOS-M camera. Many people will be glued into place not wanting to abandon the M so Canon is killing demand for their own products. If they could just slap a viewfinder of the M6 Mkii - give it some IBIS - it would be a hit and breathe probably another 4 years of life into the M system. I know it would probably clash with their R-APS-C plans so it is not going to happen. I may make the switch to full frame and see if the new Canon entry level they are supposed to deliver sometime this year or next is competitive with the Nikon Z6 for features/price.

Upvote 0