These are a few of the RF lenses coming in 2021 [CR2]

Hm, 24mm macro sounds weird for me. Is this a useful lense? I never heard of anything like that...

I'm big into Macro and used to use almost exclusively the 100mm L. But then I got the Laowa 15mm f/4 macro, and wow, did that change things up. I use it more often than the Canon. You're working distance is razor thin between the subject and the lens - and that's not going to work for many live insects, but there's nothing better that I've tried to give your subject context about its environment while still getting macro scale.

I do a lot of plant, insect, tracks, etc., shots for an outdoor magazine, and having the blurred out background contain the hints of the habitat really tells much more of a story.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I really need sigma to release a nice Full Frame 18-35 f1.8 lens because i can't afford another few thousand for the RF 15-35 atm :ROFLMAO:

The Sigma attempt at the full frame 18-35 wound up being their 24-35 Art lens - which is much more of an amazing lens than most people give credit for. That lens is so sharp, the zoom is sharper than even Sigma's own 24mm Art and 35mm Art primes. I owned the primes and sold them when I got the 24-35. This wasn't my intent. I'd picked the zoom up used because it was a stupidly cheap price. Was going to play with it and then flip it.

People tend to complain about the shortness of the zoom range, but there isn't the normal sacrifice in IQ (or in aperture) with this zoom, so it really does replace the primes.

The bad news: they couldn't make it go down to 18 and get the same image quality in full frame, so I'm not expecting them to invent that for RF.

Upvote 0

Phil

EOS R, RF24-105 f4, RF35 1.8, RF50 1.2, RF85 1.2
Oct 17, 2018
I suspect they won't release APS-C lenses, and the 18-45 will cover the full image circle for full frame, it might be optimized for APS-C (assuming they release an APS-C R body, which is far from certain) and require some hefty in-camera correction to get it to look reasonable on full frame.
I’m thinking the 18-45 will be an affordable Vlogging lens.

Upvote 0
I think macro is just going to be a feature of their 1.8 line of lenses except the 50mm because that will be made to be as cheap as possible.
The 24mm macro is unlikely to be any faster than f/2.8. And I wouldn't want it any faster than that. Keep it small, light and affordable

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
At the beginning, I was really enthusiastic about the RF line, but now not so much.

I still can't believe that by 2021 Canon is not providing us with:
- a 35mm f/1.4 or f/1.2 whatever
- an UWA zoom
- a telepho portrait lens, be it the rumoured 70-135 or a 135mm prime

WTF!!!
The EF 35mm f/1.4 II is not that old (compared to an EF 50mm f/1.2 or EF 85mm f/1.2 II)
The most popular photojournalist wide-angle zoom lens is available and with IS
Same with the 70-200mm f/2.8 and 70-200 f/4 lenses or nifty fifty, etc.

Just employ some common sense, and you'll understand that for a two-year old system, they have come out with quite a handful of good lenses(some of which Sony hasn't managed to nail in 7 years, like a cheaper 35 and 85 semi-macro with IS)
and they will continue to come out with more lenses eventually, whether you are banging the table or not.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Phil

Oct 17, 2018
The 24mm macro is unlikely to be any faster than f/2.8. And I wouldn't want it any faster than that. Keep it small, light and affordable
To keep consistency with what has been released and what’s rumoured to be released ( 35 1.8 macro, 50 1.8 and 85 f2 macro) I think there will be a full line of midrange F1.8-F2 primes starting at about 20mm and going to 105mm all with macro and IS except the 50mm. These won’t be the smallest lenses but they won’t be large either and what a fantastic versatile range of affordable primes they will be. But hey that’s just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Phil

Oct 17, 2018
The EF 35mm f/1.4 II is not that old (compared to an EF 50mm f/1.2 or EF 85mm f/1.2 II)
The most popular photojournalist wide-angle zoom lens is available and with IS
Same with the 70-200mm f/2.8 and 70-200 f/4 lenses or nifty fifty, etc.

Just employ some common sense, and you'll understand that for a two-year old system, they have come out with quite a handful of good lenses(some of which Sony hasn't managed to nail in 7 years, like a cheaper 35 and 85 semi-macro with IS)
and they will continue to come out with more lenses eventually, whether you are banging the table or not.
I completely agree, people seem to forget about EF lenses and how recent certain lenses have been released. Besides that the amount of RF lenses that have been released already in such a short time is very impressive and there’s a heap more being released in the near future to.
People stating that they are no longer excited by or have faith in the RF system because of the lens range just seems odd.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I completely agree, people seem to forget about EF lenses and how recent certain lenses have been released. Besides that the amount of RF lenses that have been released already in such a short time is very impressive and there’s a heap more being released in the near future to.
People stating that they are no longer excited by or have faith in the RF system because of the lens range just seems odd.
It's also worth mentioning "there is a lot in the works according to various bits of information I have received over the last few months"

f/2 zooms are probably much harder to engineer and they won't come out with a product that isn't 'final'.
The USM motor in the RF 28-70mm f/2 lens still pushes those huge elements around with ease after 1,5 years of use like it's just came out of the shop. (You'd expect it for the price of course, but still, we have seen some build problems with certain other mirrorless lenses).
It is also has some kind of spring-loaded front end to protect against shocks, which I think no other lens has so far.

There is really a lot more going on with these top of the line L lenses, than just dreaming up the design, patent it and then produce it.

Upvote 0