Third party LP-E6NH equivalent batteries

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I am going on a birding safari with my wife next month when we will be spending a long time each day in the field and will need a good supply of batteries for our R5 and R7, which do eat them when using telephotos. We have two spare Canon LP-E6NH but that could leave us caught short. The price for an LP-E6NH in the USA from B&H is $79 (and they will pay for the sales tax on their credit card). The LP-E6NH from the UK Canon store is £114.99, which equates to $138. Stripping out the 20% UK tax, gives a 45.5% mark up in the UK over the US price. As a matter of principle, I have coughed up twice for spares but I can't put up with the rip-off any more. After reading and digesting all the reviews (including one from camnostics by tiggy), I've ordered a pack of 3 Neewer cells with a three-position charger for £72. They arrived today, were immediately accepted by the R5 without query as LP-6NHs, and the charger works with the original Canon batteries. I'll be able to charge 3 cells simultaneously plus another two in the cameras with via our USB-C chargers that we need anyway for iPads and Macbook. I'll report back on how we find them. Even if they don't last as long as the originals, we won't be needing them during the rest of the year when not travelling and the whole caboodle costs only just over half that for a single Canon battery.

Reactions: 3 users

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I am going on a birding safari with my wife next month ...
Thanks for that battery info.
For comparison: actual price for genuine LP-E6NH in Ger is 92,65 € (77,86 € net.)and up to 95,-.
I think I ordered two last summer for 75 € incl. VAT.

I wish you and your wife a wonderful trip. May I ask for the destination?

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for that battery info.
For comparison: actual price for genuine LP-E6NH in Ger is 92,65 € (77,86 € net.)and up to 95,-.
I think I ordered two last summer for 75 € incl. VAT.

I wish you and your wife a wonderful trip. May I ask for the destination?
The UK price is 35% higher than the top German. We are going to Eilat organised by Birdlife Israel to watch the spring bird migration. It will be hard work!

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The UK price is 35% higher than the top German.
I really don't get those huge differences... rip-off :mad:

We are going to Eilat organised by Birdlife Israel to watch the spring bird migration. It will be hard work!
I'm sure the both of you will have a good time :) and not only hard work.
All the best! And I already curious about your stories and pics when you return :)

Upvote 0

AUGS

CR Pro
Feb 13, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi AlanF,
Thank you for the information. I was looking for a recommended alternative a few weeks ago. Like you, I'm heading off on a very extended road-trip and will be off-the-grid for multiple 7 day stretches. I was looking for replacements for my 5D3 and 5DsR batteries and couldn't get any Canon OEMs or they were hugely expensive (AUD$200). I found an alternative Jupio LP-E6NH (2130mAh) battery that retails here at around AUD$60, so I bought one and tested it in both my cameras - works great without query on these older dSLRs (but haven't tested extensively as yet, so frames/shots per charge is yet to be confirmed). I went back and bought the Jupio pack consisting of two batteries and a USB charger for AUD$130. So in total, 3 batteries and a charger for the same price as a Canon OEM. With some of the money saved, I purchased a 20,000mAh power pack that charges the batteries via the USB.
I have always used OEM batteries, but with supply really limited here in Australia at the moment (stores saying they can't always get them), I didn't have an alternative.

NOTE: These appear to be working fine in my 5D3 and 5DsR, but I make no claims for the R-Series cameras as I do not have one (yet). Just providing an alternative to investigate for those that cannot get the Neewer cells mentioned by Alan. Please do your research.

PS. Have a great trip Alan, and thank you for posting.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have been using the Neewer for a few weeks and they seem fine. One important point about the charger, when the batteries arrived they were about 40-70% charged and the Neewer 3 place charger with 3 batteries worked plugged into an Apple 35 watt dual output USB-C power supply. Last night, with three batteries that were well discharged, it seemed to struggle to get started on 35 watts and I had to use a 60 watt Apple power supply, which I will now take with me. These USB-C devices interact with the chargers and batteries to regulate the current they supply to them and won't overcharge.

I now have 7 good batteries and rotating them means they should last many years.

Upvote 0