This is probably the best camera review I’ve ever watched – Gerald Undone with the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
He hit it on the head about what ever is in denial about. As I said before, they marketed the video functions more than anything else without mentioning the limitations. But everyone thinks it is wrong of consumers to be upset or discouraged because Canon didnt say it would record in all modes without overheating. Marketing isnt about 100% transperancy, Canon knew they what they were hyping up. 4k60 shouldnt be overheating in 2020. Most couldnt give a crap about using the 8K right now aside from bragging rights.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
well... i skipped like 18 minutes till he actually started talking about photography, which is all this camera is about (even if people keep forgetting it).
it's all about photography with a ton of video functions? this should be called Canonphotographyrumors from the comments I be seeing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
Well, worst thing about overheating is the time waiting for the camera to be able to record again. Which is weird as he mention, not even cooling down the camera in direct cold. So the camera structure is cold but times do not recover. This sounds to me like a firmware block.

From my experience, I will use the R5 intensively for video today. So far only minor clips and camera never overheated.

Canon just need to be less conservative with times because it seems to me that cameras can record much more time and recover fast. But of course, it´s just my speculation. I am praying that Canon can improve this but I don´t know if they want to do it because they have the new cinema line launch in the end of the month...

Despite all this, the camera is SUPERB and the only downback is those overheating problems and recovering times.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Agree this is an excellent review, but he should have flipped the topics with still photography first followed by the 85-90% review of the video features and why you should buy/not buy the camera. That is from the perspective of a stills photographer.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
He hit it on the head about what ever is in denial about. As I said before, they marketed the video functions more than anything else without mentioning the limitations. But everyone thinks it is wrong of consumers to be upset or discouraged because Canon didnt say it would record in all modes without overheating. Marketing isnt about 100% transperancy, Canon knew they what they were hyping up. 4k60 shouldnt be overheating in 2020. Most couldnt give a crap about using the 8K right now aside from bragging rights.
I don't care about the video stuff and would keep the R5 even if it didn't shoot video. I think the bigger issue than overheating is the amount of cool down required before you can continue shooting more video with severe limitations.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
it's all about photography with a ton of video functions? this should be called Canonphotographyrumors from the comments I be seeing.
Is it that hard to understand that people on this forum were waiting for the 5DV and/or its mirrorless analog?

This camera is a 5D series camera. For anyone who is interested in 5D series cameras, if should have been no surprise that 5D is a series of primarily stills cameras.

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

tbintb

5DSR, R5
May 26, 2020
well... i skipped like 18 minutes till he actually started talking about photography, which is all this camera is about (even if people keep forgetting it).
Agreed! Since the release of the R5/R6, it’s been like 20-1 video reviews. It almost feels like photography itself is a craft of the past.

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
I just looked back at the official announcement and they LITERALLY had TWO SENTENCES regarding the video aspects initially. 2...

"The new full-frame mirrorless camera currently under development will fully leverage the advantages of the EOS R System, helping to produce a camera that features high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording.

...From a video perspective, the camera’s 8K video capture capability will prepare videographers for the future of movie-making- capturing 8K footage today allows for even higher-quality 4K productions in addition to the ability to extract high-resolution still images from the video footage."

In April, they confirmed the video specs, which obviously are video-centric. Then at launch, the bulk of the reviews hinged on the video capabilities, but that's what those people do, lets be real, a number of the paid EOLs still mentioned the overheating. Folks, it is what it is, they gave you the specs and told you it overheats effectively as soon as you could buy it. If you don't like that, its understandable... but that doesn't change that they told you everything upfront. The only thing they could have done differently is mention the limitations in the April video update, but that would suggest that they had given up on trying to mitigate the issue and I'm sure they are still actively looking for ways.

Rant over...

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0
Reading some of these forum posts is like talking to the old man neighbor or relative about the good old days. I am entirely a stills shooter but have watched many of these videos primarily focused on video for a few reasons.

First, they often highlight features I am interested in and have been waiting for Canon to improve (IBIS, AF, EAF, frame rate, rolling shutter, EVF and display, DR, high ISO handling, etc.). All of these features have been vastly improved to address either the video market or the hybrid market and we photographers are cheering!

Second, while I shoot no video, the market is moving that way quickly for most. There are entire populations and creatives now making their living on YouTube and they need good, accurate, easy to work with video for their job. Many of those folks were pushed to Sony or other offerings. Canon now has a competitive offering.

Third, many event photographers are now hybrid shooters. Weddings, event, product sets, etc. all combine photo and video portfolios and they would love the ultimate hybrid camera. These cameras will work for some not for others. That was his main point. Unfortunately many of those shooters still need a two camera setup regardless of brand.

If video is not your bag, scroll on and quit complaining.

Bob

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Agree this is an excellent review, but he should have flipped the topics with still photography first followed by the 85-90% review of the video features and why you should buy/not buy the camera. That is from the perspective of a stills photographer.

As he stated, HIS focus is on video. His photo review didn't contain nearly the level of detail his video review did. If you're looking for a review of the photo capabilities, there are better reviews (and reviewers) to follow.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
You are clearly new to Youtube camera reviews then.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I don't do the video, but DAMN if that wasn't a detail laden mother lode of information. Very well done.

(Stills folks, just jump to 19:46 to the end for his general thoughts and buying recommendations.)

I have to concur with him. This is a great camera for a ton of people, but man did they botch the marketing of this. They should have led with:

Hey 5D users! Here's IBIS, a tilty-flippy, 45 x 20, great base ISO DR and some neato video features that use the entire full frame. We will take your money now.

Instead, very demanding video modes led all discussion of this product's 'big new thing' and a mountain of improvements photographers have been asking for for ages got 2nd or 3rd billing. I think that was a mistake.

- A

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Transparency is not the issue here. Canon are pretty honest about that stuff, but even if they weren't, folks would have tested the snot out of these video modes anyway. The issue is that Canon was trying to either claim new business or make a big splash with an industry-first. That approach drove right past an absolute murderer's row of stills upgrades we have been asking for for years.

Had they led with stills -- or at least put all these systemic upgrades (DPAF II, tilty-flippy, IBIS, sensor quality, etc.) on parity with video in the initial materials, perhaps some luster coming off / reality sticking to their video performance wouldn't drag the camera so publicly right now.

As a stills guy, I'm still probably getting an R5 when we can start traveling again. I'm delighted about the R5. But Canon appears to have made the narrative principally about video, and that decision may have backfired on them.

- A

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0