This Symbol On Your Camera Explained! What Are Film Plane Indicators

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<iframe width="728" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VG9gn7Nl3Dc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>Have you ever noticed that marking on your camera body and wondered what it is? Well ZY Productions explains that interesting symbol on the side of DSLRs and video cameras.</p>
<p>The symbol is very important for video production and less so for photography according to ZY.</p>
<p>Check the video above for the full explanation.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 25, 2011
tq0cr5i said:
:( I am in China and cannot see the video. :-[

Can anybody show me a picture which symbol the video is talking about? Thanks!
This is a photo of the symbol. It indicated the internal location of the sensor. Pro level Videographers measure the distance from subject to focal plane and set it into their lens focus settings.
For most lenses, the distance setting is not accurate enough to let you do this, but Cinema lenses have very accurate distance settings.
For panoramic images, the critical point is the nodal focus point in the lens, the focal plane is not involved.

Attachments

• focal plane sympol.jpg
    focal plane sympol.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,395
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
tq0cr5i said:
Oh thanks everybody! :)

I have been keeping this symbol in my mind since I got my first Canon DSLR. For me this symbol is to indicate the MFD of the lenses, especially in macro photography.
Lens MFD is usually less than the specification, so its of little value except as a ballpark figure. If you are using a high quality lens with a hard mechanical focus drive that is calibrated, then you can measure, but macro distances often involve very tiny increments, a few thousandths or less of a inch, to0 small to measure accurately, just get you in the ballpark.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Antono Refa said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
For panoramic images, the critical point is the nodal focus point in the lens, the focal plane is not involved.

Can the nodal focus point in the lens be found with no reference to the focal plane? If so, how?
No, it varies for every type of lens design, for a simple design, it is where the aperture is, but that is seldom the case.
You can find it experimentally, its seldom if ever marked on a lens, it moves on zooms.
https://www.panoramic-photo-guide.com/finding-the-nodal-point.html

Upvote 0