Three of the four new RF lenses are still scheduled for release in 2019

fabao

RF 10-24 f/4???
Apr 26, 2019
It hink that using current Canon 100-400 II with crop body is much more universal solution than another system with poor low light performance.
I agree with you, in part. Very early in the morning or late evening I would have my 70-200 2.8 on the RP in hand. But for most of the day I would count on the Panasonic combo. And video is also a very important feature for me. Still waiting for Canon to offer decent stabilized 4K at 60fps. The footage on the GH5 is just gorgeous! Being able to shoot video hand held and get stable footage at 800mm equivalent is really something to appreciate.

But, if someone needs a camera with +50MP resolution, m43 is not an option.

Upvote 0

lbeck

Jul 30, 2019
Just a question: if the main advantage of mirrorless over DSLR's is the size and weight of the camera body, adding a huge heavey lenses, reduces thes this advantage, so?

The size/weight advantage is marketing to a degree. Mirrorless certainly allows for smaller bodies and to some degree lenses (especially if they are fixed or lower end primes), but the main advantage of mirrorless is that it allows for new mount designs, which in turn allows for amazing new optics.

Look at the Canon 28-70 f2L (which is big but not for what it offers) that type of lens is simply not possible on a normal DSLR camera or it would be the size of a telephone pole. Check out Nikons upcoming NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct lens for their new Z mount, it’s incredibly fast and also incredibly huge.

The mirrorless size and weight advantage is true to some degree, but mostly not. Removing the mirrors allows for smaller bodies but most importantly it opens up what these camera manufacturers can do with the mount and lens designs. And because of that, they will inevitably be pushing for the best optics, like the 28-70 f2L or the 58 f/.95 ... both of which are simply not practical on previous DSLR bodies.

IMO in the end, if you want that quality glass, you also want a decently sized body to level it out. Try holding a A7RIII with a 70-200 GM lens, it is extremely front heavy and very uncomfortable to hold. Canon EOS R is better for such a lens size, although not by much. I’d bet for certain the new Pro EOS R body and future Sony Pro bodies will level out the weight more between the body base and these incredible lenses that are being made for them.

I’d love for all of these incredible optics and bodies to be smaller and lighter but the tech is just not there. Smartphones and smaller portable cameras have great IQ, but lack many things that pro level DSLR and mirrorless cameras can offer. Maybe in 10-15 years the pro level photography/videography will be able to truly be sized down all around.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
seeing that an 200 f2 is not only huge but also super expensive. i dont see how this is an option and it would kill 200 f2 unless this lens is 6000-8000 to keep the 200 f2 relevant.
Hope RF Mount does have advantage in term of optical design, which may make this possible and be able to design it in smaller size but to maintain just similar IQ, not like RF 85mm F1.2 aiming to offer much better IQ. This is also a prove for that assertion, :).

Just to clarify my points. If Canon RF Mount does have advantage over saying Sony E mount, RF lenses design should have either of those:
- Smaller size/simpler optical formula, but same IG
- Same size/similar optical formulae, but better IQ
This will prove the assertion.

Canon RF F1.2 primes and RF F2 Zoom seem to open up mirrorless to a different level of photography. Simply put it this way, One Stop (in term of aperture) better with improved IQ (for future photography) as well. Sony E mount seems just to maintain the same level as DSLR. This is just my observation. I can’t be sure yet.

I remember read somewhere Sigma CEO mentioned if shorter flange distance (in Sony E mount) has some advantages over DSLR, it will provide advantage in wide angle lens design. If what he said is true, than the newly released Sigma Art 35mm F1.2 will not be that significant, comparing to RF 85mm F1.2, and RF 16-28mm F2 or RF 14-21mm F1.4.
Is there any proof that being mirrorless does anything for lens quality. the new lens could be better because they are just new designs Canon held off from using on DSLR bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I totally understand your choice to move over, I was in the same situation but decided to stay and update my gear to the RF system and wait patiently for the trinity zooms. Currently IMO the RF mount is only missing one important prime, the 24 or 35L. The 50 and 85 are already available.

I had the 5D Mark III along with the 24-70L 2.8 Mark II, 35L 1.4 Mark I, 135L 2, and 85 1.8. I mainly used the 24-70L and 35L so selling off my gear wasn’t a huge deal knowing the RF zooms were on their way, and I prefer the 50mm prime over the 35 so that was a huge win for me. I did try the EOS adapter for using EF glass on the RF mount and while it worked beautifully, I didn’t like the extra length it added to my lenses. I prefer native glass on the RF mount, it’s so nice.

I am patiently waiting for the three trinity IS zooms for my new EOS R. Currently I have the RF 50 1.2 L and it is by far the best piece of glass I’ve ever used. I mean seriously, it’s that good and makes me excited to get any future RF L lenses. And the RF 24-105L with the nano usm is ridiculous for an all around general zoom, I honestly feel it’s probably as good as the current EF 24-70 f2.8 in certain situations due to the 5 stop IS.

Right now, that simple kit suffices for me while I wait for the new zooms which should be out in a few months.

So in regard to your comment about waiting years to get that setup, IMO it’s almost here besides the 24 or 35 prime. The RF glass is pricey, but I can say it’s fully worth it and that’s even with a medium level EOS R body. Imagine when the pro version is released and can be used with this amazing RF glass, there will be a clear difference in brands I believe and it will be due to the RF glass.

Canon knows a 24 or 35L (or both) is needed when they have their pro body out, it won’t be long considering 2020 Olympics are coming on their home turf. I imagine their lineup by then will be insanely good and certainly have all needed zooms and main primes.

Sony obviously has the better bodies now without question, but not the glass. In my experience glass matters more as long as the body is at least medium level quality and the EOS R certainly fits that bill. It’s not superb, but it’s not mediocre either. Glass matters, and glass is where Canon has always excelled. IMO better to wait for the pro body and use the best glass around than the opposite.

BTW I’m not trying to knock on your decision negatively, just giving my .02. I had a hard time deciding also. The good news no matter what side you are currently on, is that the competition is heating up which always results in a win for us consumers :)

In terms of it being here besides the 24 or 35L...I disagree. Yes they have the super high end primes...but I think most people are also waiting on a line of somewhat affordable primes that more suit the body size they are on.

They have the 35mm RF Macro...very disappointed it wasn't true USM and internal focusing. Both these things seemed a step down from my previous 35mm F2 IS. Otherwise the lens seems ok...although from early initial indications I think the Sony equivalent is sharper (but we will wait and see)

They have the 50mm F1.2...and yes, it's a 1.2. This is actually one area where Sony has a bit of a hole in their lineup. The only real option is the 50mm F1.4 (which is large) or 55mm F1.8 (which is expensive). Still the Canon is $2300. That's just outside the realm of reason for most.

Then at 85mm you have the 1.2 as well which is $2700. Sony has the very well reviewed 85mm F1.8 which goes for around $600. Or you can get the 1.4 which is up at $1800. However, there are also well reviewed third party F1.4 lenses that do quite well here.

So what I saw with Canon is it just doesn't have options yet for giving options for budgets or size. Size is particularly a big concern because many people going to mirrorless want at least a little weight/size savings. Obviously this should be fixed in the coming years but I question the idea of releasing an fairly entry level mirrorless body with the highest end pro lenses. Maybe that strategy will work but it lost me.

Like I said before, the Holy Trinity Zoom Trilogy from Canon looks amazing. The 70-200 RF 2.8 in particular looks incredible but so does the 15-35 F2.8. I imagine some of this has to do with the size of the mount and that's where I feel sad that Canon forced my hand after owning a 50D, 7D and 5D Mark III with a ton of L lenses. I'm sure there are many like me out there.

With the shrinking Camera market longevity also worries me. I think the Nikon Z series looks great but if I had to bet who would go bankrupt first of the big three I think most would agree Nikon would be that company.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lbeck

Jul 30, 2019
In terms of it being here besides the 24 or 35L...I disagree. Yes they have the super high end primes...but I think most people are also waiting on a line of somewhat affordable primes that more suit the body size they are on.

They have the 35mm RF Macro...very disappointed it wasn't true USM and internal focusing. Both these things seemed a step down from my previous 35mm F2 IS. Otherwise the lens seems ok...although from early initial indications I think the Sony equivalent is sharper (but we will wait and see)

They have the 50mm F1.2...and yes, it's a 1.2. This is actually one area where Sony has a bit of a hole in their lineup. The only real option is the 50mm F1.4 (which is large) or 55mm F1.8 (which is expensive). Still the Canon is $2300. That's just outside the realm of reason for most.

Then at 85mm you have the 1.2 as well which is $2700. Sony has the very well reviewed 85mm F1.8 which goes for around $600. Or you can get the 1.4 which is up at $1800. However, there are also well reviewed third party F1.4 lenses that do quite well here.

So what I saw with Canon is it just doesn't have options yet for giving options for budgets or size. Size is particularly a big concern because many people going to mirrorless want at least a little weight/size savings. Obviously this should be fixed in the coming years but I question the idea of releasing an fairly entry level mirrorless body with the highest end pro lenses. Maybe that strategy will work but it lost me.

Like I said before, the Holy Trinity Zoom Trilogy from Canon looks amazing. The 70-200 RF 2.8 in particular looks incredible but so does the 15-35 F2.8. I imagine some of this has to do with the size of the mount and that's where I feel sad that Canon forced my hand after owning a 50D, 7D and 5D Mark III with a ton of L lenses. I'm sure there are many like me out there.

With the shrinking Camera market longevity also worries me. I think the Nikon Z series looks great but if I had to bet who would go bankrupt first of the big three I think most would agree Nikon would be that company.

If we’re talking about mid level primes and zooms, then yes I fully agree with you. Canon is clearly going all out with top shelf glass for the RF mount first. That’s what I was referring to and feel it is about to be complete besides a 24 or 35 prime.

For mid level and comparable to Sony, I agree with you, it will be at least a year to have both mid and high level glass, unless of course you use EF lenses with the adapter.

Upvote 0
I have to say I am both jealous and sad about the Canon situation. I almost bought an EOS R from my 5D Mark III. Instead after reading reviews I sold off my Canon equipment and bought a A7RIII, 24mm GM F1.4, 55mm F1.8, 85mm F1.8, 24-105 F4 and 90mm macro.

I didn't expect it but I was utterly shocked at the resolution difference between the A7RIII and the 5DIII. Obviously the resolution is completely different but I think the AA filter not being present makes the biggest difference.

Comparing these new lenses to what Sony is offering it is incredible what the RF mount can offer...it was just too little too late for me. I wanted a F1.4 24mm or 35mm. I wanted decently sized (and priced) primes as well.

How long would it take me to get equivalent lenses to what I have available right now with the Sony system? Probably years. You can say just use EF lenses but that introduces complexity in lens swaps and removes a lot of size advantage.

I hope Canon does well with this mount...who knows maybe someday they will offer a really compelling package...all I know is right now I'm loving the Sony more than my 5DIII.

I'm in both camps at the same time. You should try the A9 now that the 5.0 firmware is out. Is a few years ahead of Canon's AF. When I shoot my A9, I'm jealous of the Canon RF lens lineup, and when I shoot my 1dx2, I'm jealous of the tracking, fps, resolution and AF of the A9. Wish I could combine the best of both. I think both systems will get there. I just need to pick a horse to ride on, and that pick will be determined by the pro body Canon eventually releases. Eventually. Probably.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Anybody have an idea on when Canon might introduce another round of lens rebates? Don't they usually offer them a few times a year?

I want to pick up the 24-105, but at $899, not $1099.
While you wait for Canon rebates, I would suggest that you subscribe to B&H's newsletter. Also, be sure and put your desired lenses on B&H's wish list. Why? Because B&H, three to four times a year will send out special promo codes to subscribers, often high lighting gear on your wish list and brand of choice. For instance, I had a 6DII on my wish list last year. Throughout much of the yr you could purchase this body, including a free battery grip and other extras for around $1299.00. Last fall, B&H sent me a private promo code for $200.00 off this package, bringing total cost down to $1099.00, also adding free 13 mo Canon care pkg. A great deal. A few weeks ago, they sent a similar promo code for RF lenses, discounting them by $200.00. Since this only happens a few times a yr, you have to be patient and wait for these special events, not shown on their reg website. Subscribing to Canon's newsletters gets you similar promos, usually on their refurbished gear.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
While you wait for Canon rebates, I would suggest that you subscribe to B&H's newsletter. Also, be sure and put your desired lenses on B&H's wish list. Why? Because B&H, three to four times a year will send out special promo codes to subscribers, often high lighting gear on your wish list and brand of choice. For instance, I had a 6DII on my wish list last year. Throughout much of the yr you could purchase this body, including a free battery grip and other extras for around $1299.00. Last fall, B&H sent me a private promo code for $200.00 off this package, bringing total cost down to $1099.00, also adding free 13 mo Canon care pkg. A great deal. A few weeks ago, they sent a similar promo code for RF lenses, discounting them by $200.00. Since this only happens a few times a yr, you have to be patient and wait for these special events, not shown on their reg website. Subscribing to Canon's newsletters gets you similar promos, usually on their refurbished gear.
Yeah, I saw the promo code email from B&H, but i read it too late and it expired. They had the 24-105 at $799. I’d settle for $899 hah.

Upvote 0