Tony Northrup Predicts The Upcoming Full Frame Mirrorless Offerings From Both Canon and Nikon

Aug 28, 2016
Durf said:
In another 10 years or so cell phone cameras will be so awesome they'll probably be the go to camera for most pro's, with internal interchangeable lens settings these phones will probably be able to zoom in on the craters on the moon!

I have a different idea...I think the form factor of the handheld phone will shortly be replaced by wearables (iWatch). Makes me think there may be room in the future for the resurgence of the dedicated camera.

CB

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Durf said:
Well, if you look around at the younger generation with their faces stuck in their cell phones, that's their camera! They don't have time enough away from their phones to learn how to use a DSLR or Mirrorless camera, let alone having any clue or idea what the heck "Full Frame" camera even means......

If your intended display size is a cell phone, a lot of things suddenly don't matter. Many of my photos that I toss because they're not sharp enough or slightly out of focus would look great on a cell phone.

Durf said:
In another 10 years or so cell phone cameras will be so awesome they'll probably be the go to camera for most pro's, with internal interchangeable lens settings these phones will probably be able to zoom in on the craters on the moon!

I would like that too!! :)

Durf said:
I see why adobe etc is focusing on cloud base software for tweeking and processing images, all the young'uns are doing all there photography and image tweeking right with their cell phones.....it's working for them just fine and they have not the slightest desire to buy or even use a "Real Camera" lol.

Things sure have changed.....I remember hoeing the neighbors garden in the early 70's for a buck so I could buy a couple rolls of film and some flash cubes for my kodak instamatic!!!!! haha

Things have changed.... but things haven't.

Let's be honest about film and digital cameras. The VAST majority of people who have purchased film and digital cameras are no different than the vast majority of people who bought camcorders in the 90's. They were to record personal moments and experiences: I was here and I want to remember that.

Nearly everyone that I know who is over the age of 30 has personally owned or used a family camera at some point in their life. But nearly all of them have zero interest in photography. They can appreciate the cover of Vanity Fair, or National Geographic but they have no interest in how it was taken or taking something like that.

I believe that most cell phone camera users are really no different: they don't want to take photography up as hobby; they have no interest in seeking out subjects that are interesting to them or mentally think, "this could be a great location" when they walk by somewhere, or seek to experiment with light. Instead, they just want to take photographs of their personal experiences in the easiest, most painless way possible and enjoy and share them. And there's nothing wrong with that!

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
clbayley said:
I have a different idea...I think the form factor of the handheld phone will shortly be replaced by wearables (iWatch). Makes me think there may be room in the future for the resurgence of the dedicated camera.

CB

Except now the phone is not about phone calls - it’s about finding that bar via google maps, replying to that urgent work email, web browsing, reading a book on the subway. That’s why phones have been getting larger with every generation recently. They’re not going to be replaced by wrist devices, unless it’s a fallout Pip-Boy or other 80s sci fi nostalgia.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Quirkz said:
clbayley said:

CB

Except now the phone is not about phone calls - it’s about finding that bar via google maps, replying to that urgent work email, web browsing, reading a book on the subway. That’s why phones have been getting larger with every generation recently. They’re not going to be replaced by wrist devices, unless it’s a fallout Pip-Boy or other 80s sci fi nostalgia.

Unless there is a revolutionary display technology I agree. Phones won’t get much smaller, but they might get thinner, further complicating the packaging of camera lenses.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
3kramd5 said:
Unless there is a revolutionary display technology I agree. Phones won’t get much smaller, but they might get thinner, further complicating the packaging of camera lenses.

They won;t get thinner. I think ti was iphone 6 with people complaining about them bending when people had them in their jeans pocket - there is a limit for structural integrity.

Upvote 0
stevelee said:
When I’m traveling in some of the most beautiful places on earth, I see most people under 40 taking pictures mostly of themselves.

Because nobody's holiday snaps in the past were of themselves ::)

Anyway, if they were taking a photograph of the view, it would look like a million other shots, and it would almost certainly be inferior to the best ones of that location. At least the selfies are unique to *and* have meaning for the person taking them.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
scyrene said:
stevelee said:
When I’m traveling in some of the most beautiful places on earth, I see most people under 40 taking pictures mostly of themselves.

Because nobody's holiday snaps in the past were of themselves ::)

Anyway, if they were taking a photograph of the view, it would look like a million other shots, and it would almost certainly be inferior to the best ones of that location. At least the selfies are unique to *and* have meaning for the person taking them.

Maybe. I doubt the person looks much different in the picture from how they looked in the picture made ten minutes ago.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
And yes, tourists have long made pictures of family and friends as part of a shot at some scenic or historical site. I take a few of those myself.

libertybell.jpg

But what I am talking about are the selfies that might have a bit of the scenery showing on the periphery if you look hard.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Mikehit said:
3kramd5 said:

They won;t get thinner. I think ti was iphone 6 with people complaining about them bending when people had them in their jeans pocket - there is a limit for structural integrity.
Flexible displays, flexible circuit boards...... I doubt we have hit the limit yet....

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Don Haines said:
Mikehit said:
3kramd5 said:

Flexible displays, flexible circuit boards...... I doubt we have hit the limit yet....

Flexible camera lenses! :D

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Talys said:
Flexible camera lenses! :D

LensBaby already did something alike. Lenses able to change shape have been tested, but the issue is to find a material which has excellent optical characteristics, still able to change and maintain the required precision shape.

But new breakthrough could come from new ways of bending and focusing light, no longer using the classic convex/concave lens of today, nor their aspherical variants.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I'm still hoping to rent a TS lens for a week as a kind of "staycation" of taking pictures most of the week, and playing with the characteristics of the lens. I'm hoping to decide on a week before hot weather and I get busy with a college reunion and other stuff going on in June, so maybe a week in May or in the fall if I can't work that out.

I'm thinking in terms of the 24mm TS, but could be swayed toward the 17. The former might be easier to tame for someone completely inexperienced with TS like me. I have read the articles from links people on this board have shared with me, and will review before the rental. Thanks to those who answered my general questions a while back.

And there's nothing to preclude my renting a different one at a later date. Just coming up with a week that I would have enough time to make it worthwhile is more of a factor than the $125 or so. (That's cheaper than one hotel night on a non-stay-cation.) I'm retired, but rarely run out of things to do. I live in a college town, so things slow down after the students get busy with papers and exams in May.

Upvote 0