Top sites for Canon gear reviews!

Hi All,

I though it would be nice to start a Topic based on favourite spots around the internet people use to help them decide, which Canon gear to get.

I found inspiration for this Topic from a post I just replied to. If this has been done before, it doesn't hurt to get get a fresh update.

To start this list is from Rienzphotoz:

Rienzphotoz said:
1. michaelthementor.com
2. the-digital-picture.com
3. Dave Dugdale's youtube channel
4. thecamerastore tv youtube channel
5. digitalrevtv youtube channel
In addition I also, follow/watch at least dozen other reviewers, infrequently.

I've added these youtube channels:

Matt Granger - (He's a Nikon guy in Canon Clothes... but his views have help me with my 70-200 purchase)
Jared Polin - If you like Kai, this guy must be his US counterpart with substance.
Dan (Learningcameras.com) - Nice and clear. Great video on Canon 5DmkIII vs 6D
Indy Mogul - Top for Indie DSLR film makers! If your into that stuff.

Mar 25, 2011
Checking various review sites can help round out how people see the gear. Everyone has a bias toward one feature or another, so the best ones just stick to facts and leave bias / opinions out of the ratings. Stating a opinion is fine, it just should not be mixed in with facts.
For lenses, the lens rental site and Roger Cicala's insight that comes from testing and repairing large numbers of rental lenses is a valuable resource for reliability data as well as just plain interesting discussions. He sometimes tears down a new lens or product to see if the quality is inside just because he wants to know.

His experiences with lenses seem to match mine in cases where I've seen a problem.

The Digital Picture features shots of standardized targets. Photozone tests lenses and does a fairly good job of reporting the results.

I tend to downgrade sites that test lenses supplied by the manufacturer or their distributor, but in some cases, its the only practical way to get a lens to test.

Clowns and sites that are selling gear have little credibility for me.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2013
gshocked said:
Hi All,

I though it would be nice to start a Topic based on favourite spots around the internet people use to help them decide, which Canon gear to get.

I found inspiration for this Topic from a post I just replied to. If this has been done before, it doesn't hurt to get get a fresh update.

Rienzphotoz said:
1. michaelthementor.com

Matt Granger - (He's a Nikon guy in Canon Clothes... but his views have help me with my 70-200 purchase)
Jared Polin - If you like Kai, this guy must be his US counterpart with substance.

actually the best camera review site is Amazon.com(not DPR crap, I mean Amazon user reviews)

Upvote 0
MLfan3 said:
gshocked said:
Hi All,

Rienzphotoz said:
1. michaelthementor.com

actually the best camera review site is Amazon.com(not DPR crap, I mean Amazon user reviews)
Amazon is great but not troll proof!! I use it frequently!!

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi ewg.
Self proclaimed troll? 8) ;D
Or you have witnessed trolls there because you use it frequently? ::)

Cheers Graham.

ewg963 said:
LOL not I. I just witness them at work... Graham I guess I walked into that one...

Cheers,
Eddie

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Eddie,
Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation! Thank you for taking it the way it was meant.

Cheers Graham.

ewg963 said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi ewg.

Cheers Graham.

ewg963 said:
LOL not I. I just witness them at work... Graham I guess I walked into that one...

Cheers,
Eddie

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Eddie,
Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation! Thank you for taking it the way it was meant.

Cheers Graham.

ewg963 said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi ewg.

Cheers Graham.

ewg963 said:

Cheers,
Eddie
You're welcome Graham I can always appreciate some good humor.
Cheers Eddie

Upvote 0