Travel Tripod & Ballhead

docsmith said:
reef58 said:
I only carry one bag and a laptop case. All of the photo gear normally goes in the carryon. It can be tough as I fly a lot of regional jets where i have to gate check the bag. I will normally stuff the body and lenses in the laptop bag if that is the case.

That is one of the reasons I wanted to limit my budget on the backup tripod as it will not be treated with respect I suspect.

I fly a lot of regional jets as well. The Lowepro Flipside 400 AW is great. I have yet to not be able to fit it in an overhead bin, even on the smaller jets/prop planes.

As stated I have to travel for business and pack suits and various dress clothes. I am just not going to do that with a back pack that will fit under the seat in from of me. If I were taking a photography trip that would be different. I can't imagine a backpack with my suits, shoes, computer equipment, chargers, camera gear, toiletries, ect. That would be a mess. I have to focus on business first, and photography second. It is tough to choose, but that is why I am planning on a 500f4 vs the 600f4, travel.

Thanks all

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
+1 on Briggs and Riley. As with tripods, I've gone through a lot of carry on bags that self-destruct. The CX series allows one to put quite a lot of items in the bag. But, this thread is really not about luggage, no?

I've been very pleased with the TT Streetwalker which holds an amazing amount of stuff. That can fit into a carry on duffle along with some odds and ends including the TQC-14 tripod and the Markins head goes into the B&R. The B&R goes above and the duffle under the seat in front of me. I also have the Kiboko 22L (got it a couple of years ago when they were on sale at the end of Gura Gear's original existence). It is an amazing bag that I recently use on a driving trip. Even though it is carry-on "legal" I find it too big for flights. It will not go into the carry on duffle and then I only have the B&R and the Kiboko. Because none of us has enough camera bags ;) ::) , I am looking at the TT Airport Essentials as an option when the Streetwalker is too small for a kit I might carry. It is roomier than the Streetwalker but the external dimension is smaller than the Kiboko 22L.

Getting back to the OP, no single choice works for everybody. Were $ no problem, I would certainly get the RRS (or equivalent), but then a solid rock or a beanbag or a tree branch can also work as a "tripod" at times. Good luck with your decsions.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Reef58.
I have recently (early December) bought a Sirui P-324S monopod, I haven't had much opportunity to get out and use it but so far I'm very pleased with it. It seems well constructed, well thought out and well priced, plus the base comes off and make a low level or tabletop tripod! If their tripods are as good as the monopod (which looking at them at the show they did appear to be) I think that one would meet your requirements though I have no personal experience with a tripod.

Cheers, Graham.

reef58 said:
On a side note while looking I ran across Sirui(sp). Anyone had experience? They are good size and weight wise, but they have the center column.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
reef58 said:
Additional replies thanks. The only reason I really want to stick with my budget is I already have a $1500 tripod / ballhead combo when needed. It is large and heavy though. This is strictly lightweight travel using a 6d and eventually a 5d4 with the two zooms I mentioned along with various ND & CPL filters. I usually have the tripod really low when shooting landscapes also, so that helps a bit with stability.

On a side note while looking I ran across Sirui(sp). Anyone had experience? They are good size and weight wise, but they have the center column.

Thanks again

I have a Sirui T-2204X tripod and matching Sirui ballhead and I am very happy with both. I have used it many times with a 6D, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8II and a 2x extender. It folds to 16.5 inches with the ball head attached, the legs fold 180 degrees back along the center column.

Upvote 0