Travel tripods and the best light weight gimbal head?

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I just came across this tripod on Kickstarter and Indiegogo (HEIPI: The Most Compact 3-in-1 Travel Tripod) and it looks great! Anybody have one and would like to give comments?

Also, I have a Wimberly Wimberley Head® - Version II which I love, but as I am getting older, I need to lighten the load. Anyone with experience using an excellent very lightweight full gimbal head to recommend?

Thanks.

sek

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I don't think it is a "ripoff". I have the Peak Design tripod and don't like it because it is very flimsy. This tripod seems rather a next generation in the tripod's evolution. I purchased one and hopefully, it will be as stable as promised.
The unique center column replacement sounds intriguing. I’ll be interested in your opinion.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I don't think it is a "ripoff". I have the Peak Design tripod and don't like it because it is very flimsy. This tripod seems rather a next generation in the tripod's evolution. I purchased one and hopefully, it will be as stable as promised.
Say Scott, now that you've had it for a while, what are your thoughts on it?

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
I was supposed to have received it already, but there is a delay in production, so I'm supposed to get it in April. I have been burned by Indiegogo before, so I hope this won't be another scam. I'm wanting to have it prior to the end of June for a trip.

Please check back in May- hopefully I'll have and wwill have put it through its paces.

all the best.

sek

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I was supposed to have received it already, but there is a delay in production, so I'm supposed to get it in April... I'm wanting to have it prior to the end of June for a trip... Please check back in May- hopefully I'll have and wwill have put it through its paces.
Thanks Scott!

I'm still using a Gitzo G1228 "Mountaineer" tripod, the first (I think) carbon fiber tripod, that I bought in 1999. Amazingly, given how new the technology still was to this manufacturer, not only is it still in fantastic shape, but they don't even seem to have gotten hugely cheaper with time. Unfortunately I use this light leg set with a heavy Arca Swiss B1 ball head. I think there are far lighter solutions nowadays but my B1 works fine and is now too scratched up to sell for much. And at 55 I'm probably not going to live long enough to use up a new head...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm still using a Gitzo G1228 "Mountaineer" tripod, the first (I think) carbon fiber tripod, that I bought in 1999. Amazingly, given how new the technology still was to this manufacturer, not only is it still in fantastic shape, but they don't even seem to have gotten hugely cheaper with time. Unfortunately I use this light leg set with a heavy Arca Swiss B1 ball head. I think there are far lighter solutions nowadays but my B1 works fine and is now too scratched up to sell for much. And at 55 I'm probably not going to live long enough to use up a new head...
I bought an RRS TQC-14 and BH-30 lever head a decade ago. Compared to the Kickstarter tripod @scottkinfw is waiting for, the setup is about 2" longer when collapsed, but still plenty small. Extended height is similar, and while the rated weight capacity of the RRS setup is lower, I have literally hung myself under the tripod meaning the real capacity is north of 200 lbs – it's a sturdy tripod. Despite lots of travel, it looks pretty much new and works perfectly, I have no plans to replace it (although RRS has a newer 1-series model that is similar in size/weight to the Kickstarter one).

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Thanks Scott!

Don't sell yourself short. I'm 65 and I carry a lot of gear hiking up mountains, etc. I'm trekking up a Rwanda mountain in June to shoot Mountain Gorillas! So stay in shape so you can stay mobile and shoot!

• Love
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm trekking up a Rwanda mountain in June to shoot Mountain Gorillas! So stay in shape so you can stay mobile and shoot!
Enjoy, it's an amazing experience!

My wife and I went some years back, and were fortunate enough to draw Susa Group, the best habituated group and the one with whom Dian Fossey worked (although I'm not sure if luck was involved – the night before we went to Parc National des Volcans, we had drinks and dinner with a friend our guide asked if he could bring along, who turned out to be a wonderful man who was also the head of the Rwandan national park service).

Two of the groups of 8 people came back without finding gorillas. We spent the full hour with Susa group. One of the females (Poppy) put her hand gently on my wife's shoulder as we crouched while the gorilla group moved through our human group. You can see how close we were...

PNV1.jpgPNV2.jpgPNV3.jpgPNV4.jpgPNV5.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Enjoy, it's an amazing experience!

My wife and I went some years back, and were fortunate enough to draw Susa Group, the best habituated group and the one with whom Dian Fossey worked (although I'm not sure if luck was involved – the night before we went to Parc National des Volcans, we had drinks and dinner with a friend our guide asked if he could bring along, who turned out to be a wonderful man who was also the head of the Rwandan national park service).

Two of the groups of 8 people came back without finding gorillas. We spent the full hour with Susa group. One of the females (Poppy) put her hand gently on my wife's shoulder as we crouched while the gorilla group moved through our human group. You can see how close we were...

View attachment 208103View attachment 208104View attachment 208105View attachment 208106View attachment 208107
Magnificent pics!

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I was supposed to have received it already, but there is a delay in production, so I'm supposed to get it in April. I have been burned by Indiegogo before, so I hope this won't be another scam. I'm wanting to have it prior to the end of June for a trip.

Please check back in May- hopefully I'll have and wwill have put it through its paces.

all the best.

sek
Just trying to keep this in my mind. Have you received it yet?

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Thanks Scott!

I used a 1325 Mountaineer for a long time, 98 or 99 vintage. Still have the Arca B1 I used on it. I eventually upgraded, primarily to get updated leg locks.

Upvote 0