Traveling with the 400mm f/2.8?

How do you guys travel with the 400mm f/2.8?

At an event, I just keep it on a monopod and carry it on my shoulders, but what is the most efficient way to travel with it? Two scenarios:
  • Driving to an event, so you can throw everything in the trunk
  • Flying by myself, whether domestically or internationally, where there is a limit in the number and size of carry-on items
In both cases, I do not have an assistant or anyone to help me carry my bags.

I did a little bit of research (and buying and testing), and I haven't been able to come up with a good way to carry the lens.
  • In the original lens bag that came with the lens
    • protects the lens well
    • but it counts as one carry-on
    • can't put anything else in it
  • In a backpack:
    • Fits in the Lowepro ProTactic BP 450 AW II without a lens hood
    • Fits in the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L with a lens hood reversed
    • However, it takes up a lot of backpack space in both
  • In the Pelican 1535 Air with TrekPak dividers
    • the lens barely fits the case with the lens hood off The case's height doesn't allow for the diameter of the lens, let alone the lens hood.
    • Even if I squeeze it in with the lens hood detached, the lens takes up a lot of space in the case.
    • This case is also the largest carry-on possible.
I read on some websites that using a travel lens hood, like one from AquaTech or LensCoat saves some space, but then how do you protect the front element of the lens when it's in a bag? There also aren't any clear or UV filters I can use to protect the front element. The Canon E-180E lens cover fits the original lens hood only, so it can't be used without the original lens hood on.

I'm also replacing my lens foot + Really Right Stuff multipurpose rail with a Wimberley AP-601 foot so that the lens foot takes up less space, but the main concern I believe is still the diameter of the lens, which cannot be changed.

What are your solutions? If you fit the lens in a backpack or a case, could you please take a photo of your setup? I would really appreciate it.

Jul 21, 2010
Full disclosure: I don’t have a 400/2.8 and I’ve never traveled by air with a lens that size (EF 70-200/2.8 II / RF 100-500 are the biggest). Having said that, I have the EF 600/4L IS II, which is longer than the 400/2.8 and slightly larger in diameter (both the lens itself and the hood).

For local/car travel, I use a Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 AW II. That fits the lens with a 2x TC and camera body mounted (including an R3 with the mount adapter). Tripod, monopod, and gimbal are in separate cases, and other lenses go in an appropriately-sized backpack or individual Lowepro Lens Cases.

I don’t walk/hike with the lens in the Lens Trekker. If I’m going a short distance (usually for raptors in winter), I put the lens on the tripod, lock down the gimbal and carry it over my shoulder. I’m comfortable doing that even over ice (wearing Yaktrax, though). A spare battery goes in my inner coat pocket, and the two TCs go in a Lowepro Lens Case 1N attached to the upright section of the gimbal (RRS PG-02). Side note if you're a TC user, the Lens Case 1N was discontinued by Lowepro years ago, but was purpose-made for carrying a pair of TCs, including a little padded disc to go between them. They sometimes pop up used.

If I’m going a longer distance (e.g., passerines in spring), I carry the 600/4 on a BlackRapid Sport-L strap (intended for left-handed camera users, which I'm not, but that's the side on which to carry a supertele so you can raise the lens into shooting position by the foot and grab the camera with the right hand to shoot). I carry the monopod (RRS MC-34 CF Monopod with MH-02 Pro head) on a belt, in a holder designed for one of those big MagLite D-battery flashlights, and use it when I am going to pause for a while to shoot (though usually I just walk and shoot handheld). If I'm going for landscapes as well as birds, I carry a backpack with a tripod attached as well. This was at the start of a ~3 mile hike on a blustery 20 °F day, where I had several lenses in the pack, and the deer that was hanging out near the parking lot.

Shooting.png Young Buck.jpg

For air travel, though I've never done it with the 600/4 I can tell you what I would do. My luggage is Pelican Progear Elite, very expensive but something you only need to buy once. I posted a review of it here on CR several years ago. The 22" Carry-On has a spec'd interior height of 8" / 20.3 cm, and the 600/4 II fits inside it with the hood reversed.

Peli Elite Carryon.png

So, what I'd do if traveling with it by air is pack some clothing around the lens (and probably a small bag of toiletries, too), put the rest of my camera gear in a backpack (I typically travel with the Lowepro Fastpack PRO BP 250 AW III, which holds the R3 and RF 14-35/4L, RF 24-105/4L and RF 100-500, along with a 16" MacBook Pro, 10.5" iPad, with a 2-slice toaster sized compartment for chargers, snacks, etc...or sometimes another lens), and everything else for the trip in a checked bag.

Side note, when I first bought the lens, I replaced the Canon foot with the RRS LCF-53. Not sure if they still sell it, but it’s a much better solution for the 600/4, particularly because with an RRS rail on the stock foot (at least, the one RRS recommended) the forward sweep of the foot means with a ‘heavier’ camera end like the 1D X sitting further back due to a 2x TC, to balance the rig on a gimbal the rail end must be within the span of the clamp. The RRS replacement foot extends further back and can fill the clamp with the load balanced even with the 2x TC and a 600EX-RT with a Better Beamer mounted on the body.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for your detailed reply! Your advice on air travel and hiking with the lens were really helpful.

I did some quick searching, and it seems like the Pelican Progear Elite cases have been discontinued. The Pelican 1535 Air might be their new version of a carry-on case.

Looks like the depth of the 1535 Air is more limited because of the TrekPak divider system that I chose to put in it, even though it and the Progear Elite aren't that far apart in internal dimensions (7.2" vs 8.0", respectively).

IMG_8296.jpg
As you can see in the image, the lid (2.0" deep) is filled with foam. At the bottom of the case, there is a layer of sturdy foam, further reducing the usable depth of the 1535 case.

However, the case still closes properly, so I can still definitely use this for transport.

The hood doesn't fit, but I suppose I can purchase one of the LensCoat travel hoods. I'm not worried about the front element now because it is protected by the TrekPak dividers (kind of).

I've decided to keep this case for long-distance traveling, rather than returning it. It does seem like even with the 400mm f/2.8 in it, there is still plenty of room for two camera bodies, and three or four lenses, and accessories. And it is most certainly protects the 400mm better than just squeezing it in a backpack. This should be more than enough gear for traveling on vacation. Or, as you suggested, I can throw some clothes in it, and put the rest of my gear in a backpack.

Upvote 0
I have a ThinkTank StreetWalker HardDrive, which can take a 200-400 f/4 + R3 body + more. If I had to take a Big White by plane, I'd use that.
The monopod attaches on the outside. I'd do that through checkin (security usually don't care how many items you have) and onto the plane. Once inside and at your seat, detach the monopod for flexibility.

Edit: You may have to use the StreetWalker Pro instead of the Streetwalker HardDrive to fit the 400/2.8.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a ThinkTank StreetWalker HardDrive, which can take a 200-400 f/4 + R3 body + more. If I had to take a Big White by plane, I'd use that.
The monopod attaches on the outside. I'd do that through checkin (security usually don't care how many items you have) and onto the plane. Once inside and at your seat, detach the monopod for flexibility.

Edit: You may have to use the StreetWalker Pro instead of the Streetwalker HardDrive to fit the 400/2.8.

Sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
A great question and one that I am currently pondering with an upcoming African Safari in 2023.

I can confirm that the RF 400 mm f2.8 with the shorter hood (ET-155B) fits in a Gura Gear 30L backpack with the hood reverse, but it does take up 40-50% of the space (basically one side of the backpack).

Initially my thoughts is that I would travel to Africa with three lenses: RF 24-105 mm f4, RF 100-500 mm f4.5-f7.1, and the RF 400 mm f2.8 with both TCs. However, I am strongly reconsidering another option which substitute the 70-200 mm f2.8 lens for the RF 400 mm f2.8. The later option is more compact and easier to take on international travel. With that said I have traveled to Alaska with a 400 mm f2.8 in the past and I very well might do it again to Africa.

I have six months to make up my mind. It is my first safari to Africa, but it is not a "photography" safari per se. The 400 mm f2.8 is amazingly sharp and given the cost of the trip I feel sort of dumb leaving it at home. With that said the 70-200 mm f2.8 is commonly referred to as the elephant lens so appears that that lens is ideal for elephants.

Another alternative would be a 24-105 mm, 70-200 mm f2.8, and the 400 mm f2.8. I have too many permutations to consider.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Sometimes, a long lens isn't needed since the wildlife comes startlingly close... Here's an example I shot in the Ngorongoro Crater.

View attachment 206766
Thanks for the feedback and for calming my nerves. I have read many reviews that said that guides will do their best to get reasonably close so usually long glass is not needed.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks for the feedback and for calming my nerves. I have read many reviews that said that guides will do their best to get reasonably close so usually long glass is not needed.
Ngorongoro is a bit unusual in that regard. It's relatively isolated and enclosed, and heavily visited, so the animals there are very used to safari vehicles and approach frequently. When we were in the Serengeti and other parks, the driver was able to get us reasonably close (400mm was good for almost everything except rhinos), but not like Ngorongoro.

One bit of non-photographic advice – be sure you are in a Land Rover-type vehicle and not a minivan type. The latter are often cheaper, but not as reliable. We were in the former (and it was just my wife and I and the driver), and we ran across a scene that is the basis for my advice:

Help.jpg

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Ngorongoro is a bit unusual in that regard. It's relatively isolated and enclosed, and heavily visited, so the animals there are very used to safari vehicles and approach frequently. When we were in the Serengeti and other parks, the driver was able to get us reasonably close (400mm was good for almost everything except rhinos), but not like Ngorongoro.

One bit of non-photographic advice – be sure you are in a Land Rover-type vehicle and not a minivan type. The latter are often cheaper, but not as reliable. We were in the former (and it was just my wife and I and the driver), and we ran across a scene that is the basis for my advice:

View attachment 206771
The most reliable vehicles are the Toyota Landcruisers. But, even so, on our way to Ngorongoro...

DSC06515-DxO_tree_across_road.jpg

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The most reliable vehicles are the Toyota Landcruisers. But, even so, on our way to Ngorongoro...

View attachment 206773
My Safari is to Botswana (5 days), Zambia (2 days), and Zimbabwe (3 days) for a total of 10 days in the field. At this stage I have decided against the 400 mm f2.8 and will bring the RF 70-200 mm f2.8 and RF 100-500 mm f4.5-f7.1 longer zooms and the 14-35 mm f4 and 24-104 mm f4 for shorter zooms.

Vehicles are opened (no windows) and are not minivans.

Silly question: How many camera bodies did you bring? I am thinking definitely two, maybe three if there is room.

This is my first safari so I am a bit uncertain.

Cheers,

Joh

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My Safari is to Botswana (5 days), Zambia (2 days), and Zimbabwe (3 days) for a total of 10 days in the field. At this stage I have decided against the 400 mm f2.8 and will bring the RF 70-200 mm f2.8 and RF 100-500 mm f4.5-f7.1 longer zooms and the 14-35 mm f4 and 24-104 mm f4 for shorter zooms.

Vehicles are opened (no windows) and are not minivans.

Silly question: How many camera bodies did you bring? I am thinking definitely two, maybe three if there is room.

This is my first safari so I am a bit uncertain.

Cheers,

Joh
I never travel with with less than 2. Fortunately, my wife likes joining in so we have one Canon body and one telephoto each, so we have backed-up compatible bodies and lenses, as well as cables, chargers etc. In addition, I took a Sony RX10 IV to Tanzania as it is a useful do-it-all carry around. I also worry about backing up downloads so we took my MacBook Air, and in case that failed, an iPad with two drives. We actually needed the back-up iPad in our Galapagos trip as my laptop failed to accepts downloads.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I never travel with with less than 2. Fortunately, my wife likes joining in so we have one Canon body and one telephoto each, so we have backed-up compatible bodies and lenses, as well as cables, chargers etc. In addition, I took a Sony RX10 IV to Tanzania as it is a useful do-it-all carry around. I also worry about backing up downloads so we took my MacBook Air, and in case that failed, an iPad with two drives. We actually needed the back-up iPad in our Galapagos trip as my laptop failed to accepts downloads.
Hi Alan F,

I never travel with less than two either. With all my gear and clothes packed I am already over the 20 kg (44lb) weight limit by ~1 kg so a third body (besides my iPhone 12 Max) is out of the question unless I leave something else behind.

With that in mind, two items that I have packed are a lightweight travel tripod and head that weighs 3.3 lbs, but I am thinking that this does not make much sense on a safari so I could lighten the load by not taking it with me.

Did you take a tripod with you on a safari and did you ever use it? Potentially, I could use it at the tented camps for sunrise or sunsets and long-exposures. Of course, I am likely to be on game drives at sunrise and sunsets as well.

Lastly, I'm also taking a 42 pocket SCOTTeVEST with me so I can always unload the two cameras and a lens into the vest.

How carefully do the small planes weigh the luggage?

Best regards,

John

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Some questions for someone going on their first safari:

This summer I have planned a two week safari in Southern Africa to Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

The gear I am taking includes two Canon R3 bodies and four lenses: 14-35 f4, 25-105 f4, 70-200 mm f2.8, and 100-500 mm f4.5-7.1 with 1.4x TC. Also have a small travel tripod with head that weighs 3.3 lbs.

Questions:

1) The weight limit for my luggage is 20 kg (44 lbs). This evening I did a quick check with clothing and photography gear and I am already over the limit by a kilo. How carefully do they weigh the luggage? Am I okay if I am over by 1-2 kilos?. On the trip I am taking a 42 pocket SCOTTeVEST so I can always unload some camera equipment into the vest so the luggage passes the weight limits. I also figure I could take one camera body and lens onto the small bush plane to take photos from the plane and that would also lighten the luggage.

2) Should I just leave the tripod and head at home? I thought I might use the tripod for some long-exposure landscapes, but I might be overthinking this one.

3) How many extra batteries should I bring? I was planning on a total of five LP-E19 batteries. Basically, two in the camera and three backup. Also brining a power bank as well.

4) Should I bring enough memory cards so in case my iPad Pro / portable SSD fail I can shoot to cards without having to delete images?

5) Related to question four, typically how many photos do you typically take a day when on a safari? I am not a spray and pray type, but I typically use the R3 at 15 fps in short burst when photographing wildlife.

Any feedback to these questions is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Alan F,

I never travel with less than two either. With all my gear and clothes packed I am already over the 20 kg (44lb) weight limit by ~1 kg so a third body (besides my iPhone 12 Max) is out of the question unless I leave something else behind.

With that in mind, two items that I have packed are a lightweight travel tripod and head that weighs 3.3 lbs, but I am thinking that this does not make much sense on a safari so I could lighten the load by not taking it with me.

Did you take a tripod with you on a safari and did you ever use it? Potentially, I could use it at the tented camps for sunrise or sunsets and long-exposures. Of course, I am likely to be on game drives at sunrise and sunsets as well.

Lastly, I'm also taking a 42 pocket SCOTTeVEST with me so I can always unload the two cameras and a lens into the vest.

How carefully do the small planes weigh the luggage?

Best regards,

John
The internal flight in Tanzania was laid back. I recall an international flight to Borneo was problematic and did weigh. I took a safari vest with me that would have taken kilos of gear. I hardly ever use a tripod in the field and didn't do so on safari or my birding tours. For most of the time, you can use the sides of the Landcruiser for supporting the lens or your elbows, and the beauty of the light lenses and bodies for me is that I can hold them steady even with my advancing years. I won't be taking the RX10IV with me again as the R7/R5 + RF 100-400 covers my casual walkaround needs. And the iPhone is so darned useful.

Upvote 0
You need a Gura Gear or a think tank back pack that can take the 400L as hold luggage. Wear one camera around your neck to reduce luggage weight.
I use a mindshift gear Firstlight 40L. It doesn't look huge and it takes my 400mm f2.8 LIS easily with all the rest of my gear. I would suggest that you reverse the hood and disconnect the camera from the lens. It will be heavy but look smaller and lighter than it really is. When travelling, I find the hood a bit of an issue. It's the hood that is actually quite large and cumbersome. Either pop it in your hold luggage or use a Lenscoat travel Hood, which is a flat velcro solution for large lenses. It's great for travelling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0