TS-E 17mm f/4L Refurbished for $1,699.32

sagittariansrock said:
Phew! Good riddance, all these devils of lenses! I am so glad the 85L was out of stock by the time CanonPriceWatch sent me the alert.
It's baaaaaaack! I just went to check on my order and I see the TS-E 17 is back in stock. If anyone buys one, make sure the MOM2DAY coupon is applied. I entered mine, made sure I selected 2 day air (it defaults to $15.99 ground) and it still is coming ground. Canon can't change the shipping but agreed to refund the price difference. I'm a bit annoyed, but it's only 2-3 days from their location to my house, so it's not a big deal.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:
Phew! Good riddance, all these devils of lenses! I am so glad the 85L was out of stock by the time CanonPriceWatch sent me the alert.
It's baaaaaaack! I just went to check on my order and I see the TS-E 17 is back in stock. If anyone buys one, make sure the MOM2DAY coupon is applied. I entered mine, made sure I selected 2 day air (it defaults to $15.99 ground) and it still is coming ground. Canon can't change the shipping but agreed to refund the price difference. I'm a bit annoyed, but it's only 2-3 days from their location to my house, so it's not a big deal.

This is a conspiracy :(

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:

So I've finally done it, purchased the most expensive lens I now own.
Happy now?

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
sagittariansrock said:
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:

Happy now?
Yes, I am the devil on your other shoulder ;) I think we're BOTH going to be happy, though, and will have to trade stories on our new lenses. Congrats, I'm sorry, and you're welcome :)

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:
sagittariansrock said:
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:

Happy now?
Yes, I am the devil on your other shoulder ;) I think we're BOTH going to be happy, though, and will have to trade stories on our new lenses. Congrats, I'm sorry, and you're welcome :)

Okay, but I need a LOT of advice and help. Don't you turn your back on me now!

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:
sagittariansrock said:
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:

Happy now?

No problem at all - just keep in mind that using T/S lenses takes a good deal of practice and patience. It's well worth it, though, as they make you wonder why all lenses don't offer tilt & shift! Here's a good place to start:
Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet
Keep in mind that you have to make sure the camera is perfectly level. He's just fudging it to do the demonstration, but unless the camera is level, you can get all kinds of problems. Also, LiveView is a savior and really, a necessity. And a tripod should almost always be used, especially when learning.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:
sagittariansrock said:
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:

Happy now?

No problem at all - just keep in mind that using T/S lenses takes a good deal of practice and patience. It's well worth it, though, as they make you wonder why all lenses don't offer tilt & shift! Here's a good place to start:
Tilt-Shift Lens Basics with Vincent Laforet
Keep in mind that you have to make sure the camera is perfectly level. He's just fudging it to do the demonstration, but unless the camera is level, you can get all kinds of problems. Also, LiveView is a savior and really, a necessity. And a tripod should almost always be used, especially when learning.

Thanks.
Tripod- check.
Panning clamp- on its way, check.

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
That's a good one, too as you aren't stuck with a dead center horizon when using T/S :). My next decision is on the Wonderpana system that privatebydesign recommends. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but $500+ on top of the lens isn't too practical at the moment.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:
That's a good one, too as you aren't stuck with a dead center horizon when using T/S :). My next decision is on the Wonderpana system that privatebydesign recommends. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but $500+ on top of the lens isn't too practical at the moment.

Actually, I did some empirical research on this:

A. If you are using a leveling base and a ball-head on top of that- you can pan most flexibly.
1. You can pan parallel to the vertical axis and level with horizon (level base, level camera, pan);
2. You can pan parallel to the vertical axis and pointed downwards/upwards (level base, point downwards/upwards, pan);
3. You can pan at an angle with the vertical axis and pointed downwards/upwards (level camera with base, then tilt the base and pan).

B. If you are using a leveling head (a dual-pan head or a panning clamp on a panning ballhead or an Acratech upside down)- then you are limited to 1 and 3.

This is because in the first case, you have two ball-and-socket joints, with the panning mechanism in between. In the second case, you have only one. So it is more restrictive. Unfortunately, I am not tall enough to have a ballhead atop a leveling base on my GT2541- so I had to compromise.

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
mackguyver said:
sagittariansrock said:

Actually, I did some empirical research on this:

A. If you are using a leveling base and a ball-head on top of that- you can pan most flexibly.
1. You can pan parallel to the vertical axis and level with horizon (level base, level camera, pan);
2. You can pan parallel to the vertical axis and pointed downwards/upwards (level base, point downwards/upwards, pan);
3. You can pan at an angle with the vertical axis and pointed downwards/upwards (level camera with base, then tilt the base and pan).

B. If you are using a leveling head (a dual-pan head or a panning clamp on a panning ballhead or an Acratech upside down)- then you are limited to 1 and 3.

This is because in the first case, you have two ball-and-socket joints, with the panning mechanism in between. In the second case, you have only one. So it is more restrictive. Unfortunately, I am not tall enough to have a ballhead atop a leveling base on my GT2541- so I had to compromise.
Interesting and I don't do enough Pano to go with a full-blown gimbal system, but have the RRS panning clamp and the precision plus package. I don't have a leveling base, either, so the T/S is nice to have.

Also, did I mention I was born in late November making me a Sagittarius as well? I don't know if your username is related to your "sign" or a rock band...

Anyways, looks like mine will be here on Wednesday!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
I thought you said you done with lenses ;D

Congrats...on your new toy mackguyver ;)
I guess I'm done with lenses the same way that 300, I mean 400, I mean, 600 or 800mm is long enough for you ;)

Just kidding, hope you're enjoying your toys as well. I do hope to make some money with this - my 16-35 II has worked well for interiors, but is not great for exteriors and the TS-E 24mm is frequently too tight to shoot big buildings from the optimal position. I have a handful of spec (as in speculator) shoots planned for some of my existing clients and a local architectural society. If they go well, I should be able to pay for the lens and make a good profit pretty quickly in addition to building some business.

Upvote 0