Tuscany

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I've been to Tuscany, Italy, this year, and it was wonderful. I took a truck load of photos with me and thought I'd share some here.
I'm still not done with PP, so more will follow.

Firenze
View attachment 213231
View attachment 213232

Cinque Terre (it's Liguria, I know)
View attachment 213233

San Gimignano
View attachment 213234

Siena
View attachment 213235
View attachment 213236
View attachment 213237
View attachment 213238
View attachment 213239
View attachment 213240
Lucky you!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I really enjoyed these photos. I've been to the same cities over 20 years ago. If only I had the camera and lenses I have now. Although I did take quite a few photos with Kodak film.
Thank you very much!
I maybe would have preferred a visit 20 yrs ago, as there is really, really much tourism there nowadays.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I've been to Tuscany, Italy, this year, and it was wonderful. I took a truck load of photos with me and thought I'd share some here.
I'm still not done with PP, so more will follow.

Firenze
View attachment 213231
View attachment 213232

Cinque Terre (it's Liguria, I know)
View attachment 213233

San Gimignano
View attachment 213234

Siena
View attachment 213235
View attachment 213236
View attachment 213237
View attachment 213238
View attachment 213239
View attachment 213240
Exquisite! I think you were lucky to get that room of sculptures without other people. You didn't by chance take shots of them individually?

Upvote 0
Exquisite! I think you were lucky to get that room of sculptures without other people. You didn't by chance take shots of them individually?
Thank you, Eric!
The room with the sculptures was in the "Museo dell'opera", just opposite the cathedral of Siena. The main attraction there is to go up to the "Facciatone" with the impressive view point over Siena.
So the room with the sculptures (as many other rooms) wasn't crowded at all. Most people just went up amd left afterwards.
No, I didn't take photos of them individually. I'm not that much into arts and culture. I just liked the mood in the dark room with the highlighted sculptures and glass.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information! I'm not sure if you're interested, but sculptures can help us get inspiration with our poses and paintings as well, along with composition.
What I like most in art museums is, how the objects are arranged in a place, the aesthetical part. Unfortunately I don't have any deeper knowledge about the individual objects.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
What I like most in art museums is, how the objects are arranged in a place, the aesthetical part. Unfortunately I don't have any deeper knowledge about the individual objects.
Hopefully this won't be boring for you: There is the idea of the Beholder's Share that as a viewer is equally important. An example is "Venus of Willendorf" or "Woman of Willendorf." A little over one hundred years ago it was discovered in an archeology dig. The surrounding soil is tested to be about twenty-five thousand years old. The difference between "Venus" and "Woman" is the important part here. It had become accepted to assume it was created to function as a fertility object. Later the realization came that we really don't know. However, some people want to say the artist's intent has some kind of absolute power.

Upvote 0
Hopefully this won't be boring for you: There is the idea of the Beholder's Share that as a viewer is equally important. An example is "Venus of Willendorf" or "Woman of Willendorf." A little over one hundred years ago it was discovered in an archeology dig. The surrounding soil is tested to be about twenty-five thousand years old. The difference between "Venus" and "Woman" is the important part here. It had become accepted to assume it was created to function as a fertility object. Later the realization came that we really don't know. However, some people want to say the artist's intent has some kind of absolute power.
No, you don't bore me at all. Its always good to learn.
Funny you mention the "Venus from Willendorf". This little sculpture is Austrian, and we learned in school about its existance. I didn't think that anyone outside of Austria knows it.
It is shown in the nature-historical museum in Vienna.
The website says: Ultimately, however, it will never be possible to prove or disprove any single all-encompassing interpretation of objects such as these.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
No, you don't bore me at all. Its always good to learn.
Funny you mention the "Venus from Willendorf". This little sculpture is Austrian, and we learned in school about its existance. I didn't think that anyone outside of Austria knows it.
It is shown in the nature-historical museum in Vienna.
The website says: Ultimately, however, it will never be possible to prove or disprove any single all-encompassing interpretation of objects such as these.
I'm not sure how many people that didn't study art history know it, but I think it's one of the most famous of small prehistoric objects (at least top ten).
I have a Thai friend teaching highschool art and she also knows it.

Upvote 0