Two new Canon ILC cameras appear for certification

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
But - R2, along with IBIS, something like 30mpx, solid 4K could kill off the sales of R5. Imagine 5DIV users - at least I was not necessarily needing 45mpx, 30mpx would be fine. I don't necessarily even need more than 4K/30 or 60 video. But I need dual card slot. If such R2 would appear, for many ppl, there would be no reason to go R5.

I'm curious what kind of sensors Canon is developing right now. Their most recent releases are:

• 32MP APS-C (~80MP FF)
  • 20MP FF
  • 45MP FF
I think it's a safe bet to say that Canon is working on a high res FF sensor, but are they going to stick with 20MP for the R1/R6II or go to 24/28/32/36/40? For an R5II, are they going to more MP or make the 45MP one faster so we can have proper 14bit in ES and/or more fps?

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Me too!
But if all you've ever used is a phone would there be a market for something like that, imagine a phone with the IQ and focus performance(ish) of an R6
But people don't use phones because they actually prefer the ergonomics. They are used because they are slim enough to be carried every, always.

Upvote 0

thmts

EOS RP
Aug 19, 2020
But - R2, along with IBIS, something like 30mpx, solid 4K could kill off the sales of R5. Imagine 5DIV users - at least I was not necessarily needing 45mpx, 30mpx would be fine. I don't necessarily even need more than 4K/30 or 60 video. But I need dual card slot. If such R2 would appear, for many ppl, there would be no reason to go R5.

that's why the R2 would have single card slot, so pros would have to get the more expensive model, while enthusiasts who want better quality can be satisfied with the R2

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't think it would hurt the R5 at all. Much slower FPS and no 8k. Single card slot. No joystick.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But people don't use phones because they actually prefer the ergonomics. They are used because they are slim enough to be carried every, always.
Actually, I almost never carry my phone. Those things are to dang big for me these days. Mine is only used for phone calls.

Upvote 0

abnagfab

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2019
That is not the R6. The R6 is only 20-21 mega pixels. The R has 30 mega pixels. R6 is selling at $2,499. The R is selling at $1,799. $700 difference. That's big. The R video specs are also not as high as the R6, which I am fine with.
But if you add all the things you wanted to add, the price will definitely go up a few hundred, and it’s basically the R6 at that point.

Upvote 0
I don't think it would hurt the R5 at all. Much slower FPS and no 8k. Single card slot. No joystick.

They can't release the R camera without a joystick. That would be extremely stupid. 1 card slot, most probably. Lower FPS or lesser video modes, OK, but joystick in an R line? What would they replace it with? The stupid bar again?

Besides all of that, I really wonder, if Canon recently has another sensor in the pipeline. Remember - R reused or was based upon the 5DIV, RP ditto for the 6DII and R6 might be the slight modification to 1DX III one. Well, I might be mistane though, maybe changes needed there were there anyway, but really wonder, what is the next sensor going to be - a 30mpx? A high megapixel variant?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
They can't release the R camera without a joystick. That would be extremely stupid. 1 card slot, most probably. Lower FPS or lesser video modes, OK, but joystick in an R line? What would they replace it with? The stupid bar again?

Besides all of that, I really wonder, if Canon recently has another sensor in the pipeline. Remember - R reused or was based upon the 5DIV, RP ditto for the 6DII and R6 might be the slight modification to 1DX III one. Well, I might be mistane though, maybe changes needed there were there anyway, but really wonder, what is the next sensor going to be - a 30mpx? A high megapixel variant?
Well, I happen to find the bar works just fine for me. :) So, no problem there for me.

Upvote 0