Two new Cinema EOS cameras coming in the first half of 2021 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told that Canon still plans to announce two new Cinema EOS cameras in the first half of 2021. I was also told that a third one would come in the second half of 2021 and that it will most likely be the 8K Cinema EOS camera. NABShow is taking place in October 2021, so that seems like a logical time for the big 8K announcement.
The two cameras mentioned for the announcement in the first half are the Canon Cinema EOS C50 box camera, and the Canon Cinema EOS C200 Mark II.
I have published the rumoured specs for the Canon Cinema EOS C50, but I haven’t had any real update on the camera in quite some time.
As for the Cinema EOS C200 Mark II, I haven’t been given any specifications for the camera, but I would expect something to hit my inbox in the next little while if the camera is indeed coming in the next few months.
As always, the pandemic could do pandemic things to...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
I WANT THAT C50 IN MY HANDS YESTERDAY.

I have been waiting what feels like centuries for that camera. I know that it is not that big a deal to a lot of people, but, for me it is really going to change my filming. I really hope there is a release date coming soon, as I know that it was delayed by the pandemic.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Indeed this is a dealbreaker for me honestly if it really is 8 bit. Why does the r6 have 4k 10 bit with a similar or probably cheaper price tag. I understand the no IBIS in a cinema camera though.
Every camera is not aimed at every user. If Canon are going to release it they have a pretty solid track record on thinking there is a demand/market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It does seem like the perfect B/C cam for many of us event shooters. Yet, considering the likely price ($~3500) I find myself less interested. I'd honestly take another more versatile tool (R5, A7sIII) and work around those shortcomings (record limit, color matching, etc.) for that price. Maybe I'd feel different if it also had 10 bit 4:2:2 internally. But perhaps this C50 for $2,999, or $2,499? I would definitely pick one up then, and I imagine every "creator" would, too.

For perspective, near-mint C200's with all accessories can be picked up for ~$4k on the used market. Definitely a different tool/form factor, but raw, xlrs, movable LCD & grip, SDI, etc. sound awful nice for an extra $500. I just see the C50 having a tough time differentiating itself if all that's on offer is that it's small. Small & nicely affordable would be a better combo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
It does seem like the perfect B/C cam for many of us event shooters. Yet, considering the likely price ($~3500) I find myself less interested. I'd honestly take another more versatile tool (R5, A7sIII) and work around those shortcomings (record limit, color matching, etc.) for that price. Maybe I'd feel different if it also had 10 bit 4:2:2 internally. But perhaps this C50 for $2,999, or $2,499? I would definitely pick one up then, and I imagine every "creator" would, too.

For perspective, near-mint C200's with all accessories can be picked up for ~$4k on the used market. Definitely a different tool/form factor, but raw, xlrs, movable LCD & grip, SDI, etc. sound awful nice for an extra $500. I just see the C50 having a tough time differentiating itself if all that's on offer is that it's small. Small & nicely affordable would be a better combo.
My understanding is this is lined up to replace the XC line up, which should put it in the $2,499 price range. (I was waiting for the xc20) looks like they went super 35 for the rf mount, which means I could likely use the speed booster for wide shots...

Upvote 0
My understanding is this is lined up to replace the XC line up, which should put it in the $2,499 price range. (I was waiting for the xc20) looks like they went super 35 for the rf mount, which means I could likely use the speed booster for wide shots...

I sure hope you're right! $2,500 would be perfect for this camera, and Canon would sell a lot of them.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
The only thing I really ask for from this camera is XLR or mini-XLR ports in the body or the handle. I know some have talked about this as a B or C camera, but I see this as a great base-level A camera. I shoot video full-time in my dayjob on C200s and soon a C70, but in my personal work I don't do nearly enough video to justify personally owning either camera. But when I do shoot video for side projects, I could really use a camera with good audio support, built-in ND filters, and continuous recording options. That way, during an interview, this could be my A-camera recording the clean audio tracks continuously without a recording limit, while my B camera EOS R5/1DX2 could hit the 30-min recording limit and just be restarted.

I do think this would be a perfect match for less intensive multimedia workers, who will probably already be using a camera that takes LP-E6NH batteries, RF adapter, and SD cards anyway. Already having the accessories for a camera saves you hundreds, if not thousands.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2019
Any new camera released starting mid 2020 and not featuring internal 10 bit 4k seems like a total no go. Especially for a video dedicated camera. We can debate frame rates at different price points but not 10 bit 4k. The 8 bit is either not true, or this camera has to sell at under 1500$. I mean clog2 and 8 bit for color grading? I mean just buy the 3 year old A73, that way you'll get at least a decent stills camera on top of those video specs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Dear Canon, regarding the C50. Now that you will have all the necessary tooling, please come out with what I'll call the R9...this body with the screen on the TOP, the strap lugs in the middle top, and an R5 sensor and IBIS. That would be the handling equivalent of the Rollei TLR (or SL3003, or Hasselblad; take your pick for comparison) brought up to 21st Century functionality.

I would like that very much...while I enjoy my R5, I STILL prefer the handling of my 2.8E Rollei. The SLR form factor just isn't the best for me.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Dear Canon, regarding the C50. Now that you will have all the necessary tooling, please come out with what I'll call the R9...this body with the screen on the TOP, the strap lugs in the middle top, and an R5 sensor and IBIS. That would be the handling equivalent of the Rollei TLR (or SL3003, or Hasselblad; take your pick for comparison) brought up to 21st Century functionality.

I would like that very much...while I enjoy my R5, I STILL prefer the handling of my 2.8E Rollei. The SLR form factor just isn't the best for me.

Going with mirrorless lets them put the viewfinder and screen literally anywhere, doesn't it?

They could even build cameras designed to fit alien hands, which would let them go into a market S*ny has already gained a commanding position in.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
I WANT THAT C50 IN MY HANDS YESTERDAY.

I have been waiting what feels like centuries for that camera. I know that it is not that big a deal to a lot of people, but, for me it is really going to change my filming. I really hope there is a release date coming soon, as I know that it was delayed by the pandemic.

Out of curiosity can you tell us why this camera in particular has caught your interest? Canon thinks they have spotted a niche and you seem to be it. I'm just not sure what it is.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018

What are you shooting? Are you planing on strapping it on and walking around? Stability would be a real problem even with IBIS.

Upvote 0