UK pricing leaks for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
My point: some folks want high res and a 1-series feature set rather than have to choose between the two. Landscapers (and possibly some wildlifers) come to mind. The R1 or some variant of it could try to do that.

At that price point, anything is possible. Heck, if we can get a dedicated astro model or have two 5DS models just because of the AA filter anything is possible.

- A
I would imagine had there been a big enough segment for a camera like that, Canon would have made it by now. A "high-Res" R5 body is a given at this point, like the 5DS and 5DSR. Everything the same except for the sensor. (And as IF 45-50MP on the R5 isn't High-Res enough....) But I digress. Unless there is some reliable method of flipping a switch and getting back the top speed out of a dumbed-down (fps) high res senor, I dont see it happening. The LAST thing I would want in a 1RX would be a 45+ MP sensor, and no one shooting pro sports and journalism would either. At least not in THAT camera. A lot of them might carry a R5 as a second rig, but high speed, high accuracy, and 20-25MP is the ideal combo for most of those guys, including myself when duty calls. It's the main thing keeping me AWAY from the R5. 45MP for general shooting is WAY too much. 30MP on my EOS R is pushing my top end. If I'm going to shoot portraiture (far fewer frames shot than sports or action where I'm holding the shutter button down for 2-3 seconds on bursts) that i want more resolve, I'll grab the 5DSR. But even in the campaign photography I frequently do, I still use my DX2 because 20MP is more than ample for rendering images to be printed on ten thousand large mail pieces and slapped up on websites and social media. Using the R5 for that sort of work would yield no improvements in the end results and would consume more than double the memory space to do it (not to mention slow the editing down when you're culling hundreds or thousands of images)

This is why I keep going back to the R6. The video feature set (as currently rumored) fills all the major gaps in my arsenal, particularly Full Frame 4K capture with 10bit 422 out Log. Plus the 20MP makes it perfect for general use as well and would compliment my EOS R perfectly for video and very nicely for stills.

Video example, tonight I have to film a recital and will be using 2 cameras. EOS R with the 24-70mm RF L, shooting wide at 24mm with the 1.75x crop gives me a perfect framing of the stage 35 feet away. Then the 1DX2 with the 70-2002.8L with the 1.3x 4K crop for tighter follow shots and closeups (but I have to record 4k internally unfortunately with the DX2)

Ideally, what would I have with the R6 is a FF readout for true, wide to normal range shots, and then use the EOS R with it's massive crop factor plus a zoom for super reach 4K filming. The only thing the R5 has going for it as of this moment based on the rumors we have is the 4K120 ability the R6 won't have. But I'd rather wait for the R1X to get that, as rarely as I might actually use it. 8K is a cute novelty, but so incredibly impractical right now. RAW mode is too cumbersome a workflow for what I do and also relatively unnecessary for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
£5398 for a 20mpix camera with an f7.1 tele zoom lens?

Seems like the R5 is what the R should have been; and the R6 is toned down a bit (no top LCD, 30% lower resolution) *but* at the same price the R was originally released at.

I think I will be getting a Leica instead :)
Good plan! When you are comcerned about getting value for your €£¥$ the first name that comes to mind is always Leica!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

XL+

When nothing is going right, go left
CR Pro
Sep 15, 2016
recently: The Tyrol, Austria
So, my last week posted rumor of €4699 in Austria could come true. This is not the price-tag, I´ve expected.
Saving a little bit in Germany, as the VAT is temporarilly reduced from 19 to 16%. €120 will be 1/4th of the grip price - as rumored in another thread.

For 4699 bugs, this body has to be superior in image quality, speed and rolling shutter. 8k will not be my intention to use. The 256GB card will be full in a few minutes.

Upvote 0
£5398 for a 20mpix camera with an f7.1 tele zoom lens?

Seems like the R5 is what the R should have been; and the R6 is toned down a bit (no top LCD, 30% lower resolution) *but* at the same price the R was originally released at.

I think I will be getting a Leica instead :)
I love the SL2 for a lot of reasons and I have both M and Q cameras but the focus on the SL2 lags behind the even my current R by a lot. And in the US a SL2 with a wide to medium zoom and a medium to longish lens plus extra batteries is going to run almost 20K. Unless you are being sarcastic :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think he meant GBP4000 translates to USD4000. The exchange rate differences and VAT cancel each other out.
There is also duty, cameras incur zero duty into the USA whereas the UK levies around 5% on cameras. So the UK price has an included 25% tax & duty levy on it over and above the USA prices.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
CFExpress cards alone will set you back more than a Ninja V. Atomos had the V’s on sale until a few days ago. I should have picked one up but I wanted to see how this played out.

Damn....I was going to pick one up too, but now is back to $599 at both B&H and Adorama.

What was the sale price again? I'll keep a lookout next time they go on sale.

TIA,
Cayenne

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
If the R6 hit's around $2299 USD and the rumored video specs pan out, I'll grab the R6 and another Atomos Ninja V and still be $1000 or so under the R5... which will will be put towards the R1 in 2021 ;)
What “rumored” video specs? I think Canon has listed the video specs on their website. The only rumors were speculation around overheating and time limits.

Upvote 0
$3499 for the R5 and $2199 or $2299 would fit the traditional entry prices for basically every other camera in the range (EOS R debuted at $2299, the a7Riv debuted at $3499, the 5DIV debuted at $3499, the Z6 and Z7 hit around those price points)

Not so sure, surely its all about the increase compared to the model before? The 5D has been taking inflation-busting leaps in the entry price each time, UK inc VAT:

5D Mk II £2300
5D Mk III £3000
5D Mk IV £3500
R5 £4199
R5 Mk II????

Last edited:
Upvote 0