UK pricing leaks for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...However, I would think the EOS 5D Mark IV and the EOS-1D X Mark III are the final native camera bodies for EF lenses.
A much discussed topic and it could be years before there is a definitive answer. There are many photographers who prefer the DLSR format. Some because it is superior for certain applications like birds and sports. Others simply because they like it better. I don't see Canon walking away from half the market. I think they will continue to make new models so long as there is a demand for them and I don't see that demand disappearing anytime soon. Only time will tell, but my money is on a long and productive life for both DSLRs and Mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
A much discussed topic and it could be years before there is a definitive answer. There are many photographers who prefer the DLSR format. Some because it is superior for certain applications like birds and sports. Others simply because they like it better. I don't see Canon walking away from half the market. I think they will continue to make new models so long as there is a demand for them and I don't see that demand disappearing anytime soon. Only time will tell, but my money is on a long and productive life for both DSLRs and Mirrorless.

100% there will be a 5D5 and 1DX4 (maybe not those exact names, but pro / tough SLRs), but after that we'll see.

1-series will give up the mirror last, that's for sure.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have never understood owning a lot of bodies, they get outdated too fast. I own very specific bodies for specific uses with little overlap. When I need more I just rent them and add the rental fee to the clients invoice.

If I get the R6 it will be to replace the GH5, and I will get rid of the GH5. The only way I will get the R5 is if I somehow get sold on using an OVF for photography at which point it will replace my 5D4.
In the past I would have agreed with you regarding owning a lot of bodies , for me it came about by accident. My rule of thumb is that equipment needed to pay for itself within one year or I rented. I have owned the phase 180 for a few years I used to do a lot of studio catalog and that was the workhorse. With a 5ds and a mkIV for the rest of the studio stuff bought the EOSR cause my MarkIV was stolen. I bought a fuji xt-2 for travel for something small and light ,then I got a huge job that required 3 4k cameras and it was cheaper to buy an xt-3 then to rent. The leica q was just a want not a need. The m10 is another story but it was gifted to me, and then before you know it I have a closet full of cameras :)

Upvote 0
Sorry, the R5 looks nice and all, but £4200 is FAR to much. Canon, you have lost the plot.

Canon PLEASE. Take the R5 -> hit it with the cripple hammer a few times. We don't all need 8k, or 20 fps -> and get the camera around £1000 cheaper.
Just give us an '5D' level mirrorless camera.

I don't particularly want a Sony - but the A7R3 (essentially an R5 with poor ergonomics) is £2500, and the A74 is £3200. £4200 is just a joke.

• Haha
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
The thing is with Atmos Ninja, you need to account for all the other accessories that are needed for it to work as you intend.

Yeah, looking over it, I'd need batteries a charger and the SSD.

I'm trying to figure out whether the Angelbird thing is worth it, or just put up with a little more bulk and do the regular SSD thing.

Hey, what is the little thing called to mount the Ninja to your hotshot....? What's the name of such an adapter I see on all the videos?

TIA,

cayenne

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
R1 can't be that far off now, can it? A year or two ago, the only wildcards were how well/responsive the DPAF / EVF would be and how much data they could push, and both have been soundly spoken to between the liveview of the 1DX3 and these R5 specs. A truly top-drawer EVF performer hasn't surfaced yet, in fairness, but surely they've been working on that.

One would think all Canon has to do now is make a hard call on [high-res + 8K like the R5] or [low-res + ~6K like the 1DX3] and park it in a 1-series body. It's go time.

- A

A lot might depend on how long the production lines need to run at full capacity to keep up with demand for the R5. Or what quantities of common parts can be supplied by vendors at what rate per week/month.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yeah but remember, Canon unleashes those beasts in time with the Olympics. Which are in Japan this time... and got pushed to 2021. And they just dropped the DX3 within the last 6 months. So I'm betting R1X announcement early next year with delivery around may/june 2021 just before the games start.

That may be their planning strategy, but I'd be very surprised if the Olympiad is held in 2021. SARS-CoV-2 isn't going away any time soon. The various national federations for different sports will need several months prior to the games themselves for preliminary qualifying events.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There is also duty, cameras incur zero duty into the USA whereas the UK levies around 5% on cameras. So the UK price has an included 25% tax & duty levy on it over and above the USA prices.

Increased warranty support due to consumer protection laws there also add to the price.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
No way will Adorama or B&H add a premium to the MSRP. They have too much invested in customer satisfaction.

Adorama and B&H won't get enough initial units to meet anywhere near total demand in the U.S. They'll both constantly be on backorder for months. Other smaller retailers will have bodies available - for a premium.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Not so sure, surely its all about the increase compared to the model before? The 5D has been taking inflation-busting leaps in the entry price each time, UK inc VAT:

5D Mk II £2300
5D Mk III £3000
5D Mk IV £3500
R5 £4199
R5 Mk II????

Over there they have. Over here (in the U.S.) the 5D Mark III debutted for $3,499 in 2012 and the 5D Mark IV debutted for $3,499 in 2016.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It was a different trend in the US:

5D2 $2699
5D3 $3499
5D4 $3299

- A

The initial price in the U.S. for the 5D Mark IV was $3,499 USD. It stayed there for about 8 months, other than a short one week period in early Spring of 2017 when there was a $200 factory rebate. Smaller retailers were getting as much as $3,999 for them in the initial supply crunch.

The MSRP stayed at $3,499 until October of 2018, though there were factory rebates of between $200 and $400 in effect for most of the period between May 2017 and October 2018.

20200709ss1.png

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
We are enthusiastic about these new offerings from Canon, but generally I don't know much people with equivalent bodies like the EOS R or 5D mk III or 5D mk IV who are eager to switch in this economic environment.

Alot of working photographers have been on the sideline for months during covid 19. Event photography has basically crashed completely where I am from. AD work and commercial work, several jobs cancelled.

I think those who have equipment thats doing the job already are going to be slow to convert or upgrade. And those who shoot other brands like Sony / Nikon who don't have a Canon eco syetem of EF lenses to soften the blow definitely won't anytime soon.

I don't think the demand will be robust! Not as we would have expected Pre covid 19.

The only reason I have intention to purchase is because my current camera body is over 10 years old. I have been saving since November of 2019 to finally upgrade and even I may wait a couple months for Thanksgiving to see if the prices come down a bit, because right now work isn't exactly overwhelming anyone.

The full time working professional photographer is becoming less and less relevant to Canon's marketing strategy as the number of full-time pro photographers, particularly staff photojournalists who were once the largest category by a fairly large margin, continues to plummet. Freelancers making pennies on the dollar compared to what they did as staff pjs can't afford to upgrade until their current gear breaks beyond repair.

The upper end camera and lens market is more and more being driven by well-heeled amateurs and enthusiasts, as well as "weekend warriors" shooting weddings, events, and even high level pro sports (what little has returned from the COVID shutdown).

Upvote 0