Unconfirmed Canon EOS R7 Specifications [CR1]

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If those are the specs, and it has R5 build quality and a new BSI sensors, it will rival the R5 in price. We had better wait for the gray imports...
IF it has an R3-style battery grip, it may well cost as much as an R5, and it would be worth it, to me.

Grey imports are usually available soon after the launch date. The HK-based firm that I use usually has the latest gear in stock even when UK retailers don't.

IF the rumoured specs are true (which I doubt), this might make a great body for wildlife shooters. It could even take over from the R5 as my primary tool.

But I ain't counting chickens...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Specs round about what I would expect. 32MP would be good. But of course we know sports professionals don't want any more than 20MP.
I wonder what they will do to make it worse than the R3. Will it's focus tracking abilities be worse. If they left out eye focus that would be fine.
I'd guess it will be priced at $2500 - 3000 ie: overpriced.
It will be a nice camera with the 100-500mm Lens
“I wonder what they will do to make it worse than the R3.”
…well a crop sensor is the downgrade. They could keep everything else similar to the R3 and it would be a good enthusiast body.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This rumor doesn't make sense. The specs would put it above, not below the R6. Also a BSI sensor will NO DOUBT bump the cost by $300-$500. For reference, use the price bump of the A7s II and A7s III. All said, you'll have an inconsistency in the naming convention and positioning just as the line get started. No way they plan to break the naming convention, before they even flesh it out.

Then the need for a CF Express seems odd. 4k 60p ALL i might need a CF Express, and I stress might, because being cropped there is a potential that it may not even need it. But lets say it is needed, would you really add a new card format, that is more expensive for the sake of one video mode on a cost sensitive still centric camera? It doesn't make sense. I understand there are other benefits of CF Express, but I don't see Canon doing that after the decisions they made on the R6.

I think a conventional FSI 32MP sensor based on the current 32MP sensor, but modified to get close to or faster than the readout of the R5's sensor is more inline. I think a cropped 4k 60p stat is reasonable, but I don't see it needing a CF Express card, and as such expect one (maybe two) SD slot(s). I can see a 3.7'ish million dot EVF and the R6 LCD. 20 fps electronic shutter seems reasonable with a 10 fps mechanical shutter. Something like this they can package in and around the $1999 price ceiling with room to drop some specs and fit cheaper components and come in a little lower. Effectively what I see is a juiced up 90D or a slightly neutered 7D2. However as the rumor has it spec'ed, I can't see it coming in under $2,500.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
When the 7Dii came out, it was a significantly better body then the 6D and even when the 6Dii came out 3 years later, it did not have significantly better specs than the 7Dii. Canon does not care nearly as much as the forum dwellers about the limitations of the naming sequence. Canon will 100% have a full frame R10 as the replacement to the R as well as a full frame R100 as a replacement to the RP, all while having an APS-C R7, and people on here will loose their collective minds while the general public won’t care at all. Accepting this now will make life much easier for those that seem to care so much about these names.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I think as described that would be more expensive than an R6. I also would be surprised to see two slots, even more surprised if one is CFexpress.

I would be very surprised if it doesn't have 2 slots. 7-series is traditionally a high-end camera line. And would definitely not be surprised to see one of them being CFexpress.

EOS 7D II has two slots too: CompactFlash + SD/SDHC/SDXC.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This rumor doesn't make sense...

Then the need for a CF Express seems odd. 4k 60p ALL i might need a CF Express, and I stress might, because being cropped there is a potential that it may not even need it. But lets say it is needed, would you really add a new card format, that is more expensive for the sake of one video mode on a cost sensitive still centric camera? It doesn't make sense. I understand there are other benefits of CF Express, but I don't see Canon doing that after the decisions they made on the R6.
I agree. From the advanced user guide, the R5 only needs CFe for the following modes:
8k raw (or light or timelapse)
4k/120
4k/60 ALL-I
V90 SD card handles the rest including 4k/60 IPB/IPB light.
I can't see why a CFe slot would be needed. Dual SD cards would make more sense given the thermal requirements for CFe.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
This rumor doesn't make sense. The specs would put it above, not below the R6.

Except from sensor-size, the 7D-series was way above 6D series in specs. Maybe even beyond 5D series in some ways.
That's one of the great things with a smaller sensor. If you are okay (maybe even prefer) the smaller sensor, you can get even or better specs for less money.

It might end up being more expensive than R6, but not by far I would guess.

And btw, the 20 fps could possibly be mechanical shutter. Smaller sensor makes it easier to do faster shutter. And 1DxIII already features a 20 fps mechanical shutter on fullframe (The 7-8 years old 7DII has a 10 fps mechanical shutter).

4k/60 ALL-I

That one. If Canon follows tradition of 7D-series, they do not cut corners on an R7. 7DII also supports ALL-I video modes.

The rumoured specs might very well be fake, but they are not unrealistic in my opinion (The most unrealistic part is maybe that no 4K/120 is mentioned - why wouldn't it be able to do that in some way?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Bring on the R1 And forget this.
Or better an R5s with the same pixel density as in this rumor.
The worse thing that could happen is the pixel density is greater than any current model and the “added reach” threads make a comeback.
Couldn't agree more. A FF with the same pixel density will inevitably result in more keepers just because of the wider AF tracking range, not to mention the greater ease of finding the subject in the first place. This keeps getting pushed out there for two reasons. Firstly, Craig, for some unspecified reason, hates the M line and wants APS-c Rs to kill it so he keeps flogging this rumor. Secondly, there are folks out there who dream of another bargain like the 7D II where they can get almost 1 series features on an APS-c body for just a bit over entry level pricing. Earth to folks out there - there will be no camera bargains in the foreseeable future. If you doubt that, look at what is happening to big white pricing. A 100 MP R5s with an APS-c raw mode (to counter those whining about excessively large files) would end the technical debate, leaving only the price unicorn. I think that could happen for a smidge under 5 large and that would be as close to a bargain as we will see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0