Unconfirmed Canon EOS R7 Specifications [CR1]

This is not meant to substitute for the R5, R6 or R3, it is meant to be a companion body. Use the full frame in poor light and sacrifice some resolution. Use the crop R7 in good light when you need more "reach."
This would be a possible option for me along side an R5. My first preference would be a light weight full frame 600mm lens around the f/5 range. But if the R7 does eventuate it will be an interesting option looking at cost and image quality. It's nice to dream :)

Upvote 0
20 fps... that's modest by today's mirrorless standards. Unless that's a mechanical shutter.... in which case it would be amazingly fast. The R3 only manages 12 fps, though that's with a larger full frame shutter. It the 20 fps is electronic shutter, it's nothing special. OM-1 can do 50 fps with AF and metering. I wonder, though, if Canon might consider electronic shutter only in the R7, as Nikon has done in the Z9. If the sensor readout is fast enough to prevent rolling shutter effect, there's little need for a mechanical shutter.
Dynamic range also seems to be affected by eShutter ie no mechanical shutter. Perhaps others in the forum can explain better why this is the case but the Z9 is about a stop less dynamic range than the Z7ii

Upvote 0
Bodies like the R5 ideally should also be dual CF Express. But I can understand that some or most of that user group don’t need their backup card at full speed, so it is easily forgiven.
Understand some people need dual CF Express cards but I prefer the 2nd slot being an SD card. Only a hobbyist but I use high capacity 'cheaper' SD cards as my backup when I travel. One island I have visit every few years has restricted weight limits on flights, so leaving the laptop at home is a big weight saving. Plus, using the SD cards is a cheap alternative to other solutions I have seen.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Oh yeah. Give me built-in GPS please. Not that I dare expect Canon will include it. They don't seem to believe much in built-in GPS anymore. Want us to use that useless "app solution" instead :-(
(Only 1DxIII and R3 has it in recent bodies).
Yep, GPS is a handy feature in my 7Dii although it's not super accurate (about 10m + or -) it gives you an approximate location, shame the compass is so rubbish it's not a feature at all.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Understand some people need dual CF Express cards but I prefer the 2nd slot being an SD card. Only a hobbyist but I use high capacity 'cheaper' SD cards as my backup when I travel. One island I have visit every few years has restricted weight limits on flights, so leaving the laptop at home is a big weight saving. Plus, using the SD cards is a cheap alternative to other solutions I have seen.
Transferring via USB-C(the same cable to charge both your laptop and camera) would give you the weight savings and still allow faster transfers than SD cards are capable of. Though being a hobbyist, you would likely have something like a R5/R6, I take issue to the R3/R7 having SD given their use cases.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It doesn’t suggest anything. If you read the article you would see that it’s a BSI sensor. That’s very different from what was used before.
Well, it’s rumored to be a BSI sensor. In an unconfirmed, CR1 post. If it’s a high-end 7D-style body, it would likely have a new BSI sensor. If it’s an entry-level xxxD-style body, it would likely reuse the old 32 MP sensor.

Either way, at this point it's vaporware.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
It doesn’t suggest anything. If you read the article you would see that it’s a BSI sensor. That’s very different from what was used before.
I find it highly unlikely that Canon would go through all the effort of designing a completely new apsc sensor and make it the exact same resolution as the last one.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I think as described that would be more expensive than an R6. I also would be surprised to see two slots, even more surprised if one is CFexpress.

Also for note, just because it is a BSI sensor does NOT mean its stacked. There are other examples of this out there from what I recall.

-Brian
The 7d was the crop 1d so it's going to be a crop R1, they don't want low end, they will have a R10 & R100 for the cheap end of the market, possibly a R1000. An R7 has to have everything to get the money. It's got to be faster than the R5 as the 7dmk2 was faster than the 5d mk3, 10 FPS as opposed to 6 in the 5d4. Probably see 20 mechanical and 30 electronic, possibly like the R3. Otherwise it's not going to be much different to a lower 90d replacement.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
The 7d was the crop 1d so it's going to be a crop R1, they don't want low end, they will have a R10 & R100 for the cheap end of the market, possibly a R1000. An R7 has to have everything to get the money. It's got to be faster than the R5 as the 7dmk2 was faster than the 5d mk3, 10 FPS as opposed to 6 in the 5d4. Probably see 20 mechanical and 30 electronic, possibly like the R3. Otherwise it's not going to be much different to a lower 90d replacement.
I'm just saying if they go that route, the price will likely be greater than the R6. If its cheaper than the R6, they'll have to give up on something.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Personally I think the likelihood of the "R7" being a mini-R1 is non-existent. It would cost as much as an R3.

Infinitely more likely, IMO, that Canon will spring for a *really cheap* crop RF model to take over the market currently served by Rebels.

I think people building up hopes for a pro-level or even a "serious amateur"-level sports/wildlife crop RF model are going to be very disappointed, although I'd really love to be proven wrong!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Personally I think the likelihood of the "R7" being a mini-R1 is non-existent. It would cost as much as an R3.

Infinitely more likely, IMO, that Canon will spring for a *really cheap* crop RF model to take over the market currently served by Rebels.

I think people building up hopes for a pro-level or even a "serious amateur"-level sports/wildlife crop RF model are going to be very disappointed, although I'd really love to be proven wrong!
A crop RF Rebel with the the AF of the R5/6 and a 24 Mpx sensor would be more than good enough for many.

Upvote 0