Rumored Canon EOS R1 EVF specifications [CR1]

Aug 7, 2018
Skyscraper fan, I'm puzzled why you even bother with a rumors forum when a 2012 camera is perfect for your needs. If you don't have friends or family that you ever shoot and don't need any feature not required to shoot a skyscraper, please recognize your needs are very niche and no mass market maker is going to cater to you, and you might as well desubscribe from this group because I guarantee Canon's not going to make a camera or other piece of gear that you will like ever again. It will be unproductive for you to waste a second further here.
I know that people from Canon read forums like this. So it is important that people who want DSLRs back express their opinion. I am even active in the Macrumors Forum, although I would never buy an Apple product.

I still do all my editing with Photoshop CS2. It came out in April 2005. So it is more than 18 years old, but it does the job. I also installed the latest version recently (for free of course). It hardly offers any useful new features, but at the same time the user interface has changed so much that I quickly went back to my CS2. It is shocking to think how much money people have spent during those 18 years to pay for all the Photoshop updates and then even a monthly subscription, while the software was already pretty much complete in 2005.

My opinion about climate change may be unpopular, but most of you probably live further south than I do. Even this month we can some uncomfortably cold days in Germany. It's summer. It should be hot. In some years we have seven or even eight cold months. It is horrible if temperatures drop in October and you know that it might stay cold until May. I might see that differently if I lived in hot country like Spain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I know that people from Canon read forums like this. So it is important that people who want DSLRs back express their opinion. I am even active in the Macrumors Forum, although I would never buy an Apple product.

I still do all my editing with Photoshop CS2. It came out in April 2005. So it is more than 18 years old, but it does the job. I also installed the latest version recently (for free of course). It hardly offers any useful new features, but at the same time the user interface has changed so much that I quickly went back to my CS2. It is shocking to think how much money people have spent during those 18 years to pay for all the Photoshop updates and then even a monthly subscription, while the software was already pretty much complete in 2005.

My opinion about climate change may be unpopular, but most of you probably live further south than I do. Even this month we can some uncomfortably cold days in Germany. It's summer. It should be hot. In some years we have seven or even eight cold months. It is horrible if temperatures drop in October and you know that it might stay cold until May. I might see that differently if I lived in hot country like Spain.
Sorry if I don't understand.
I live 3 km from the German border, and we didn't have one single cold day in July. Neither was last winter really cold.
It can be moderately cold (Alaskans or Siberians would say warm!) from mid December to mid-March. Horribly cold ??? When and where?
What is becoming increasingly "horrible" are the extreme summer temperatures and the lack of rain, definitely not the last mild winters we had in Alsace and you too had in Germany.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Sorry if I don't understand.
I live 3 km from the German border, and we didn't have one single cold day in July. Neither was last winter really cold.
It can be moderately cold (Alaskans or Siberians would say warm!) from mid December to mid-March. Horribly cold ??? When and where?
What is becoming increasingly "horrible" are the extreme summer temperatures and the lack of rain, definitely not the last mild winters we had in Alsace and you too had in Germany.
it‘s frankly unbelievable welcoming global warming.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I know that people from Canon read forums like this.
Do you know that? How do you know that?
I am even active in the Macrumors Forum, although I would never buy an Apple product.
Just ...why? Why would you care about a product that you would 'never buy'? What do you have to add to a forum about which you have no practical experience, as you don't (and never will) own any of the products being discussed?
I still do all my editing with Photoshop CS2. It came out in April 2005. So it is more than 18 years old, but it does the job. I also installed the latest version recently (for free of course). It hardly offers any useful new features
You are seriously saying that the current PS adds hardly any new features to the 2005 version?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Wow, I can't believe you can so easily dismiss the new features of Photoshop. just being able to instantly select objects would save you many hours if you edit a lot of photos. The new neural filters and the AI features also do things that would take so much time and effort in older versions and do them better.

Also, as an artist, newer versions of Photoshop are so much better for a person that uses their machine for art work (while I still prefer Clip Studio Paint for artwork, I feel comfortable using newer versions of Photoshop).

Not going to touch your other words as they just appear to be trolling bait.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
You are seriously saying that the current PS adds hardly any new features to the 2005 version?
I'm still using CS4 but for a while I couldn't find the installation CD and was using 5.5 from like 1998, which I learned on and whose feature set is good enough for what I do. It starts up instantaneously which is nice.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
My opinion about climate change may be unpopular, but most of you probably live further south than I do.
You can live anywhere in the EU. You can go live in Seville if Germany's too cold. I was six years in Zurich and three in London and I thought the weather was great. My home town goes from -20C to 40C and can change 15C in one day. Really it's depressing that you're on this forum not only complaining about everything Canon does but everything else in your life that you don't like. Why can you not take your negative energy somewhere else?
I know that people from Canon read forums like this. So it is important that people who want DSLRs back express their opinion.
Given that you're the single solitary person expressing this opinion, the only effect you airing it here constantly will have is to assure them that they couldn't sell more than about one such camera.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018

Wow, I can't believe you can so easily dismiss the new features of Photoshop. just being able to instantly select objects would save you many hours if you edit a lot of photos. The new neural filters and the AI features also do things that would take so much time and effort in older versions and do them better.
That AI stuff is basically all that is new. The problem with AI today is that it only works 95% or so and then you need a lot of time to correct the stuff the AI did wrong. That already started with the Upright Tool in Lightroom. It almost never made the lines perfectly vertical. Most of the time you still have to find the center of the image, then correct the rotation a few tenth of a degree and then go to the edge of the photo to still correct the perspective. And that is even true with photos of skyscrapers that have tons of vertical lines. I always wonder how the algorithm still can't can't make such a photo perfectly straight.

The AI selection tool has the same problem. It just does not get it right yet most of the time. Or take all those neural AL filters. The tool that can colour black and white photos too often identifies clothes as skin. AI simply is not there yet. We humans instantly know which pixels belong to an object, but AI has a long way ahead until it reaches usable level. That also is true for AI tools that do enlarging, sharpening, denoising and stuff like that. The worst is the "content aware filling". That may work on a simple background like a blue sky, but no AI will probably ever be able to accurately fill the space behind an object you removed from a more complex background.
I'm still using CS4 but for a while I couldn't find the installation CD and was using 5.5 from like 1998, which I learned on and whose feature set is good enough for what I do. It starts up instantaneously which is nice.
Yes, people would be surprised how many of the basic features were already there a long time ago. The ability to work with layers, layer masks, adjustment layers and all those blending modes for example. Al lot colour and perspective correction tools have already been there. Cloning was already possible and even the spot healing tool to remove dust spots was already there in 2005, although I must admit that the 2023 works more accurate when you are close to another object. Most of the tools that were added since 2005 were more artistic ones. Those that you can't really use in an editorial context where the photo should show reality.

I do not want to elaborate on climate change here too much, as that is too far off topic, but we recently had a day in July that had a maximum of around 15 degrees. So I was freezing in July, which is the second hottest month of the year after August. 15 degrees are okay in December, but not in July. People here talk about the heat waves in the US or Spain, but here in Germany summers and specially winter are much colder than in Spain. Last winter my parents on some days had a heating day of over 30 Euros per day on some days. I preferred to save the money and live and most of my apartment was below 8 degrees for a few months. That really is no fun. 8 degrees are the temperature you have inside a fridge.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I wish I could get a DSLR with the sensor of the R3. And IBIS in a DLSR would also be nice, but I understand that this is not possible without increasing the flange distance.
That is not remotely true.
IBIS started in SLR cameras.
Pentax still has it.
The reason Canon never went with IBIS for mirrorless the sensor becomes misaligned with the mirror and the viewfinder would not show what the sensor is capturing.
Canon also went with IS lenses before anyone else.
IS lenses never have that problem.
Mirrorless would retain every advantage that it has except for size and the ability to adapt lenses if it did not have a closer flange distance.
If you want a DSLR version of the R3 then make a request to Canon.
If they can make enough money making on then I can see them not making it.
The biggest obstacle is economics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It would be simple enough to make a camera with an OVF that could also use an optional EVF.
I am not sure how much demand there would be since we could get the same view on the backscreen.
I think one of the Fuji bodies (X-PRO3?) has that option, a (rangefinder) OVF with a transparent LCD for when you want an EVF.

Upvote 0
Cashless payment is not a progress in situations were you could pay with cash like in a restaurant of a supermarket. It just leaves unnecessary electronic traces.

At the risk of wasting my time, clearly there are advantages to using non-cash payment. For instance, it's quicker and I don't have to carry a bulky wallet. Of course cash has its own advantages and having more choices is generally better (for consumers if not necessarily for retailers).

The hardest change in life is aging. I hate that change. I would have preferred to stay 30 forever.
This is the fundamental truth of your position. All the rest is unconvincing attempts to rationalise it. Like many people (maybe most?) you're upset about getting older, and you're channeling that into being grumpy about the world changing. Clearly some changes are for the worse, but either come to terms with them or attempt to reverse them in a constructive way, don't just sit on this forum whining about everything you hate, it's incredibly boring for the rest of us.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
That AI stuff is basically all that is new. The problem with AI today is that it only works 95% or so and then you need a lot of time to correct the stuff the AI did wrong. That already started with the Upright Tool in Lightroom. It almost never made the lines perfectly vertical. Most of the time you still have to find the center of the image, then correct the rotation a few tenth of a degree and then go to the edge of the photo to still correct the perspective. And that is even true with photos of skyscrapers that have tons of vertical lines. I always wonder how the algorithm still can't can't make such a photo perfectly straight.

The AI selection tool has the same problem. It just does not get it right yet most of the time. Or take all those neural AL filters. The tool that can colour black and white photos too often identifies clothes as skin. AI simply is not there yet. We humans instantly know which pixels belong to an object, but AI has a long way ahead until it reaches usable level. That also is true for AI tools that do enlarging, sharpening, denoising and stuff like that. The worst is the "content aware filling". That may work on a simple background like a blue sky, but no AI will probably ever be able to accurately fill the space behind an object you removed from a more complex background.

Yes, people would be surprised how many of the basic features were already there a long time ago. The ability to work with layers, layer masks, adjustment layers and all those blending modes for example. Al lot colour and perspective correction tools have already been there. Cloning was already possible and even the spot healing tool to remove dust spots was already there in 2005, although I must admit that the 2023 works more accurate when you are close to another object. Most of the tools that were added since 2005 were more artistic ones. Those that you can't really use in an editorial context where the photo should show reality.

I do not want to elaborate on climate change here too much, as that is too far off topic, but we recently had a day in July that had a maximum of around 15 degrees. So I was freezing in July, which is the second hottest month of the year after August. 15 degrees are okay in December, but not in July. People here talk about the heat waves in the US or Spain, but here in Germany summers and specially winter are much colder than in Spain. Last winter my parents on some days had a heating day of over 30 Euros per day on some days. I preferred to save the money and live and most of my apartment was below 8 degrees for a few months. That really is no fun. 8 degrees are the temperature you have inside a fridge.
I am not so young either. So I grab all new technology and explore it while I still can.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This is the fundamental truth of your position. All the rest is unconvincing attempts to rationalise it. Like many people (maybe most?) you're upset about getting older, and you're channeling that into being grumpy about the world changing. Clearly some changes are for the worse, but either come to terms with them or attempt to reverse them in a constructive way, don't just sit on this forum whining about everything you hate, it's incredibly boring for the rest of us.
What gets me is not the irrational railing against modernity but the welcoming of global warming as a small benefit to him at the expense of billions who are suffering from it as well wildlife. As we get older, I would have thought that most of us would want to see a better future for the next generations, not to leave the world in a worse state.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
This is the fundamental truth of your position. ... don't just sit on this forum whining about everything you hate, it's incredibly boring for the rest of us.
YEP! Well said!
I suppose I am a pessimist. But I'm trying to make the best out of everything.
And if others do so, too, maybe this is a small step towards making it (mood, karma, the world, whatever) better...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
A pessimist is someone who thinks things can't get any worse.
An optimist is someone who thinks they can.
That phrase sounds funny but is miles away from reality ;)

But I've heard a good joke lately about a pessimist, an optimist and a realist in a tunnel:

The pessimist only sees the dark in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees a train coming into the tunnel.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

:p

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0