Underwaterphotography

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
A new challenge. I just ordered a Ikelite housing and 8" dome for my 5D mk3 and 16-35 f4. I also added a flat port for the 100 2.8 IS. So, during my trip in September to costa rica, I will see what I can get from this gear. I didn't order any flashes as this time I will not go to deep (no scuba diving now) to get used to it all.

Completely new to me. So, did already look around on internet and found that being short to the subject is a first requirement. For that reason, mostly WA lenses are used.

I hope to get some feedback from you guys/girls concerning underwater photography. The do's and don'ts. Also interesting ebooks, books or internet sites. Every information is welcome.

I hope to get a lot of feedback from you all.

Thanks,
François

With your new equipment you'll be best suited for video!

In any case, first rule, work in RAW.

1/160s or faster is the target, never go slower than that. Problem is that everything is moving, thanks to waves/current. That also includes you :)

If it has it built in, or you ordered it, use the optical view finder for much faster autofocus. Don't even think of composing, pre-autofocus and then shoot. Always completely press the shutter button, or the current has moved you far enough away that the image isn't sharp where you wanted the focus.

The closer you get to the object, the better. Unless it is afraid and flees :)

Have a separate drying towel with you for the camera, but always first rinse it in fresh water (not salty one) before you dry and open it. Salt is the enemy of all parts of the system.

Check the AF and IS mode before closing the case, once you're in the water it's to late :)

Have fun with your extremely nice equipment!
Oh and a flash even helps when snorkeling. For me the flash is even more important than the camera system in use. A lot of animals like to hide in a cave or just under a rock and for those you need a flash.

Upvote 0

fish_shooter

Underwater Photographer
Oct 9, 2013
Alaska
www.salmonography.com
FEBS said:
I hope to get some feedback from you guys/girls concerning underwater photography. The do's and don'ts. Also interesting ebooks, books or internet sites. Every information is welcome.

Thanks,
François

Wetpixel.com is a great site. I have used both your listed lenses for underwater photography. 16mm is a bit challenging without a very large sized dome - I use the Seacam 9-inch superdome with the 16-35 and since last Autumn the Sea&Sea underwater correction lens as well.

I typically do a some UW photography while snorkeling on trips to Hawaii - shots on my web site at high ISO and shutter speeds that are faster than synch speed (1/250) are done this way. As well I do a lot of available light (no strobe) underwater shots in streams at home in Alaska, also at high to very high ISO. I am just back from a road trip last night and many of the shots taken on it (of Chinook Salmon) were at ISO12800 since it was cloudy most of the time.
Tom

Upvote 0