*UPDATE* Here's an Invite for March 2, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Otter said:
I was looking on the Northlight rumor site. They claim that a dealer was quoted as saying the price will come out at $3250 Euros. That translates to $4,372.55 US dollars. I REALLY hope that is not true as that is a HUGE price jump from the MKII release. If it is, sign me up for a MKII and maybe I'll get a used MKIII in 4 years.

You forget that they subsidize our nice low (well, low relative to everywhere else that is not Canada or certain parts of Asia) prices for Canon equipment in the US by using a conversion factor or 1 Euro = 1 USD ;D so that would imply $3250 USD for the 5D3.

Upvote 0
D

Drama79

"Breakfast with EOS" might mean that there is more than one camera being announced - although credit where it's due, CR Guy would have mentioned this, I would have thought (Or at least the possibility if it had come up in certain circles).

I might have gone with the "it's a hold over for later to stop people buying the Nikon" were it not for it being CR3. He's earned our trust.

Everyone seems to have whipped each other up a lot today. I know it's exciting. But it IS just a camera.

I think the targeting for the video is for the 7D users who wanted to update to full frame. In other words, same options as the 7D (I doubt we'll see 1080p 60fps, but a guy can dream). We may see longer than 12 minute clips over two cards (not much use to me - I shoot music videos). It's going to be a multi-purpose workhorse camera for stills and good video - because that's where the market is.

The roadmaps on all Canon fan sites a few months ago pointed to a bigger MP full frame (the 3D) later in the year for studio photographers. People keep seeming to forget this.

I'm looking forward to friday - I've been ready to move up to FF for a while, so want to see the specs to see if I get the II or III. Actually, to be honest, it's about when I can get the III !

Upvote 0
I actually think most of our proposed specs have been modest. If canon sticks with a 22MP camera, we already know that they can produce great images at 22MP as the 5D mark II and 1D mark III pull this off. We know it will have a digic V which has proven to give better low light and faster performance. With 22MP, low light will only be better that the previous 5D even if Canon does not do anything revolutionary. At 22MP, the Digic 5 will give at least 5-6fps, again, without Canon doing anything revolutionary. Canon has 3 focus systems to chose from, the 7D system, 1D mark IV system, and the new 1DX system, all which will be way better than what the 5D currently has.
New would be a headphone jack (shouldn't be hard)
Dual CF/SD cards (even the nikon D7000 has dual card slots...no brainer. )
and that is it.

That is really a refresh more than a new camera. If canon is revolutionary, it will have 1080P video at 60fps, pro level autofocus, 7-8fps, DX mode, and uncompressed HDMI out.

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Otter said:
I was looking on the Northlight rumor site. They claim that a dealer was quoted as saying the price will come out at $3250 Euros. That translates to $4,372.55 US dollars. I REALLY hope that is not true as that is a HUGE price jump from the MKII release. If it is, sign me up for a MKII and maybe I'll get a used MKIII in 4 years.

You forget that they subsidize our nice low (well, low relative to everywhere else that is not Canada or certain parts of Asia) prices for Canon equipment in the US by using a conversion factor or 1 Euro = 1 USD ;D so that would imply $3250 USD for the 5D3.

$3250 sounds much more respectable! I live in Canada so hopefully it's comparable to the US price. I'm not sure how the MKII has managed to stay lower then the US price, would LOVE to see the same with the MKIII but I think I'm just getting greedy now! :p

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Otter said:

we really need to have an info page on CR that explains some of the common misconceptions regarding the camera industry. like where people think that you use currency conversion rates to calculate how much a camera costs here versus there... if that were the case, folks in the UK would be MUCH happier people, trust me (provided we're translating from US prices). every country has different tariffs and taxes which result in dramatically different retail pricing on a country-by-country basis.

in other news, I like that price rumor better than 3500 ...

Upvote 0
kubelik said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Otter said:

we really need to have an info page on CR that explains some of the common misconceptions regarding the camera industry. like where people think that you use currency conversion rates to calculate how much a camera costs here versus there... if that were the case, folks in the UK would be MUCH happier people, trust me (provided we're translating from US prices). every country has different tariffs and taxes which result in dramatically different retail pricing on a country-by-country basis.

in other news, I like that price rumor better than 3500 ...

Shoot my inlaws from the UK fly out every year to the USA if not anything else but to buy their high ticket items here because the USA prices compared to the UK prices are so different. When he buys stuff on his UK credit cards, prices tend to be 1/2-2/3 what he would be paying in the UK. And that is even after his banks add the ridiculous conversion fee's to his purchase.

Upvote 0
well they better speed things up bcs, based on what my nikon supplier is telling me, first batches of d800 are on the way to him from nikon europe. so canon better hurry up. It could even be the same 5d2 case when we had intermittent supplies at the beginnning with very few units shipped for the first 2/3 months, way way below requests. Given the expectations I think it will be not easy to get a camera immediately after realease. It also depends in which part of the world you are located since certain markets will be served earlier.

Generally speaking in european canon channel now there are plenty 5D2, zero 600d, zero 60d (already since 2/3 weeks) and a few 7D

Upvote 0
awinphoto said:
Macadameane said:
Along with the coffee, the grip will make it an even bigger seller:

No no no, It needs an instant coffee MAKER... a coffee holder was so 2009 =)
The coffee maker is in the optional grip. The display shows the selected coffee type, although the unit is switched off in the photo 8).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.