Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I've never been able to bring myself to support a kick starter project. I'm a confirmed skeptic and have little trust, even if its a big company like Canon.

Well, Peak Design is never going to rip you off, although at this point, I don't understand why they don't have their own inhouse platform for new products, it wouldn't be hard.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
File a chargeback/dispute with your credit card company. Each cc company has different ways of handling situations like this. For mine, they did an investigation where they contacted KS asking for information/for a reply. I think KS contacted the campaign for their response...essentially KS is the middle man for communication.

For one campaign, KS responded back on behalf of the campaign to my cc company saying it would ship in July. I responded back to my cc company and said its a lie and provided additional proof that they kept pushing and delaying shipment. From there, I don't know if the campaign decided not to respond back but my cc refunded me my money. It was about $200+.

The second campaign I filed a chargeback on, I don't think I heard anything at all and my cc just refunded me the money. This was only like ~$70? So maybe that was a factor? Don't know.

Yes, each credit card company may treat it differently, but the premium cards tend to have buyer protection insurance, and you shouldn't have a problem getting your money back.

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
File a chargeback/dispute with your credit card company. Each cc company has different ways of handling situations like this. For mine, they did an investigation where they contacted KS asking for information/for a reply. I think KS contacted the campaign for their response...essentially KS is the middle man for communication.

For one campaign, KS responded back on behalf of the campaign to my cc company saying it would ship in July. I responded back to my cc company and said its a lie and provided additional proof that they kept pushing and delaying shipment. From there, I don't know if the campaign decided not to respond back but my cc refunded me my money. It was about $200+.

The second campaign I filed a chargeback on, I don't think I heard anything at all and my cc just refunded me the money. This was only like ~$70? So maybe that was a factor? Don't know.

Appreciated. I did with amex. I will fill out the dispute tomorrow. Keep you posted. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
I don't understand why they don't have their own inhouse platform for new products, it wouldn't be hard.
Because they can build to order. They only invest on pre-design. No big investment, the cash is already here when they launch the industrialization and other things like packaging, which cost a lot. Other gain is you allready know how many piece to build. No inventory or unsold pieces.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

"To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness." ― Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest. He would probably write the same about two failed attempts on Kickstarter.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Because they can build to order. They only invest on pre-design. No big investment, the cash is already here when they launch the industrialization and other things like packaging, which cost a lot. Other gain is you allready know how many piece to build. No inventory or unsold pieces.

What I mean is they could easily and cost-effectively build their own crowdfunding tech or use a Shopify addon, yet they stick with Kickstarter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
What I mean is they could easily and cost-effectively build their own crowdfunding tech or use a Shopify addon, yet they stick with Kickstarter.
KS is part of the business model. For us it's not a proof of trust, but it is for investors. This is the other use of KS for startup leaders, to show their results in number of customers, sales, turnovers per product etc.
To take the exemple of peak design, as long as they do not receive sufficient financing offers (I would say 10 or 20M to invest into a facility and a commercial system for exemple), it's normal to continue the KS business model that cost nearly nothing and ensure reliable incomes.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
KS is part of the business model. For us it's not a proof of trust, but it is for investors. This is the other use of KS for startup leaders, to show their results in number of customers, sales, turnovers per product etc.
To take the exemple of peak design, as long as they do not receive sufficient financing offers (I would say 10 or 20M to invest into a facility and a commercial system for exemple), it's normal to continue the KS business model that cost nearly nothing and ensure reliable incomes.

You can do your own crowdfunding on Shopify which they use for a couple of hundred bucks.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
We all make mistatkes, but please notice that numerous people (like me) said in the thread of your original post that THIS WAS A SCAM. That the 'product' they were offering wasn't legitimate, and that this was really obvious (and when on to detail why).

My post started with: " SCAM SCAM SCAM, and I can't believe both CR & CN have fallen for it. "

Mr CR, you have an unusual opportunity to crowd source product wisdom, please consider a model where you could use this moving forward.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We all make mistatkes, but please notice that numerous people (like me) said in the thread of your original post that THIS WAS A SCAM. That the 'product' they were offering wasn't legitimate, and that this was really obvious (and when on to detail why).

My post started with: " SCAM SCAM SCAM, and I can't believe both CR & CN have fallen for it. "

Mr CR, you have an unusual opportunity to crowd source product wisdom, please consider a model where you could use this moving forward.

I unfortunately do not read all of the posts on the forum. Again, that's my fault and I have the skillset to vet things and I didn't.

I will pretty much only promote a Peak Design product going forward. I know everyone has said that Kickstarter and Indiegogo don't care, but I'm actually taken aback how little they care and the fact the campaign is still live on Indiegogo.

I guess my Canadian naivety got the best of me.

Upvote 0
Fairly poor.

Were you targeted because of the reputation and followers you have?

Whilst I appreciate the costs and time and effort put into running this kind of site I would suggest greater transparency and disclosure so that potential investors know you have a personal stake in such recommendations.

No need for me to bang the drum on this one, I'm sure you are feeling it acutely, each investor takes their own risk and should perform their own due diligence.

Kudos in some respect too for owning it and apologising.

Upvote 0
I would suggest greater transparency and disclosure so that potential investors know you have a personal stake in such recommendations.

Agree 1000% But it was great Mr CR has now told the full story, making him a leader.

So far Mr CN is still quiet, but he promoted it with an affiliate link too. Where is his apology for his financially incentivized recommendation people invest in a product he hadn't looked very hard at either?

Meanwhile my respect for Mr CR has gone up. Although again, in a crowd there will be people with particular expertise that could benefit all in such situations, why not crowd source the research? This time I put my hand up stating what was obvious to me, next time it will be someone else. Promote or hightlight the posts that contribute the most, like Redit does, then make a decision.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I just notified my bank.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck to us all.

Maybe, before you recommend another project, since you get a cut of the action, do some research for us on the front end. Not to be a jerk, but this can prevent another scam. We do count on you, and we work hard for our money.

Thanks for being up front.

sek

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Canon Rumors and they idiocy = shameful!

This is an embarrassment.
So you're one of those people who likes to pile on and kick a person when he's being honest and freely owning up to a mistake? I really don't understand why you as a guest feel you're entitled to be rude to the host of this site.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

DannyPwins

EOS Me
Mar 27, 2016
Disappointing - I was VERY close to backing this myself but held off, not due to suspicions but just because I was saving for another purchase. I thought the design looked cool though - maybe someone reputable could pick up on the idea, as I thought they had some cool concepts incorporated into the proposed product. Sorry folks may lose their hard earned cash, makes it that much harder for the reputable Kickstarter types in the future too no doubt.

ML
Likewise, I even contact them to make sure it would work with my R. They assumed I was buying it when my question was answered
Thank you so much! Danny
Keep it up! Hope you enjoy the X-TRA
Best,
Arthur​
Glad I dodged this.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Well, Peak Design is never going to rip you off, although at this point, I don't understand why they don't have their own inhouse platform for new products, it wouldn't be hard.
A lot of people have asked the same thing but they've built a following on KS. Its their marketing platform in a way.

ThinkTank has used KS along with WANDRD and other big name companies.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.