upgrade from t2i to 1dm4 or 1dx??

TeleFragger said:
u guys are funny... i like that... :p

on my current beer state i will try and say something.. will see if it makes sense tomorrow..

nice car.. not a zl1...
cat.. nice
coin.. cmon how far do u get with a penny?>???

anyway.. I could use an xti to do those... anyone can expose to the levels of stationary...

my biggest thing is my t2i COULD do what i need with glass.. so yes I WANT a new camera.. bought the t2i in 2009... now... side note kid i think backed out. I tried txting him and i got a recipient is not accepting txt... I am an android person but my wife said u can do that on an iphone so he is blocking me.. no biggie..

so with that... no new camera... next march is bonus time and i WANT a new camera again..

so with that... my WANt is because I HATE my picss as I think they suck with the t2i..

now forget the t2i;s capabilities... now and then I turn it on... zoom in.. auto fucus and were good... go to take a pic an no go.. camera wont take a pic... remove batteries sit for an hr (what i found works) and im good to go...
that SUX.. camera has an issue...

for what i do as not paid my pics are ok.. even blurry people love em... thanks to iphone...

I want and can not do 1/2000 iso 100 pics with my t2i indoors for MMA or night street hockey. We just registered the kids for hockey so more pics to come. we will see...

First of all I'm a retired Soldier and can't afford a ZL1. Besides I'm completely satisfied with 400HP.

Second the penny and the cat were shot with my 7d and 5D3.

And third The jump pics on the previous message were shot with an XTi. To put that into perspective we jumped at 800 feet and from where she was standing I'd guesstimate between 2000-3000 meters away from the plane. Airspeed is 125 knots which equals 144 MPH rounding up. The jumpers exit the aircraft at about 90 miles an hour until their shoot deploys which slows them down to 23 feet a second. Go back and take a second look at those pics with this in mind and you may have a different perspective.

Upvote 0
johninsanantonio said:
And third The jump pics on the previous message were shot with an XTi. To put that into perspective we jumped at 800 feet and from where she was standing I'd guesstimate between 2000-3000 meters away from the plane. Airspeed is 125 knots which equals 144 MPH rounding up. The jumpers exit the aircraft at about 90 miles an hour until their shoot deploys which slows them down to 23 feet a second. Go back and take a second look at those pics with this in mind and you may have a different perspective.

I had a different perspective as soon as I read the phrase "we jumped".
Hats off...

Upvote 0
I was fortunate to have served with IMHO one of the best Airborne regiments in army. the 1st and 2nd Battalion 504th which is 1st brigade in the 82nd. We made history twice be being the 1st in for the Baghdad Surge in Jan 07 with 5 days notice and again being the 1st advise and assist Battalion in Fallujah in 2009. I served as a Combat medic. that was my 2nd and 3rd Iraq deployments. Whenever possible I always had a camera with me. Just a Canon Powershot but I got some pretty good shots from that. During my first deployment I had a Nikon Coolpix which fell apart after a couple months of usage. I still own the Powershot which survived 27 months in the desart and still works perfectly after everything it's been through. I'll hyperlink my youtube video that my wife shot of one of my last jumps before I left the 82nd that was taken with our VIXIA HFR21.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBIU4cBla2w

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Steve said:
3kramd5 said:
Because a body is only half (or less) of the equation. If it were a "I want to buy a 1Dx and several series 2 L lenses, should I," nobody would likely dissuade him.

Right, but the question was between the 1DIV and 1DX, not the 1DX and every other camera made. Dude wants a camera for sports, not weddings. The 5DIII, while a very nice camera, is inappropriate for the type of shooting he wants to do. What's hard about this concept? He wants a sports car and you're all telling him to buy an SUV.

I'm not telling him to buy anything, I'm merely suggesting that a 1Dx without matching quality lenses is like buying the Ferrari to tow the boat with.

I like when people answer gear questions with perhaps unvisited considerations. If this forum were merely an exercise in multiple choice, it would be far less valuable.

But fine, all else being equal, 1Dx hands down.

Upvote 0
thanks guys... been gone for a bit. kids keeping me busy.wife just had gllbladder removed yesterday so im on low sleep. kid backed out i guess no word. i have an older guy interested with this comment...

Your not bothering me. Just don't sell it I have the cash and I will come buy it this week. Obviously after you get the carb. Trust me I will send pics t o you over time. It won't be sitting. My buddies are certified ASE techs and we take care of shit. She'll be in great hands and used for what she was intended

so with that im back on track.
My big thing is I dont want to buy something and think I should have gotten something else. Also dont want to buy a 1dx and in 6 months drops 2000 because mark 2 comes out.

still 5dm3 maybe suitable and may get one in the future.... for now i wqnt a 1d series. guy at work said the 1d series feels so nice as he has a 1dm2 and 5dm3...

i know there will be a huge improvement from a t2i to either 1dx or 1dm4. I am reading so many people say they had the mark 4 and got a 1dx now mark4 sits....

1dm4 is discontinued so tough to buy due to that....

I still dont know what I want... undecided...when i have cash in hand.... will b easier but should be one more week. more to ponder...

Upvote 0
TeleFragger said:
thanks guys... been gone for a bit. kids keeping me busy.wife just had gllbladder removed yesterday so im on low sleep. kid backed out i guess no word. i have an older guy interested with this comment...

Your not bothering me. Just don't sell it I have the cash and I will come buy it this week. Obviously after you get the carb. Trust me I will send pics t o you over time. It won't be sitting. My buddies are certified ASE techs and we take care of S___. She'll be in great hands and used for what she was intended

so with that im back on track.
My big thing is I dont want to buy something and think I should have gotten something else. Also dont want to buy a 1dx and in 6 months drops 2000 because mark 2 comes out.

still 5dm3 maybe suitable and may get one in the future.... for now i wqnt a 1d series. guy at work said the 1d series feels so nice as he has a 1dm2 and 5dm3...

i know there will be a huge improvement from a t2i to either 1dx or 1dm4. I am reading so many people say they had the mark 4 and got a 1dx now mark4 sits....

1dm4 is discontinued so tough to buy due to that....

I still dont know what I want... undecided...when i have cash in hand.... will b easier but should be one more week. more to ponder...

I notice that in spite of all the very helpful advice and suggestions on this thread you are basically at square one.
To summarize, there are a bunch of people suggesting the very sensible 5DIII, but you want a 1D body, and I respect that. So it is 1D IV vs 1D X as you originally asked.

You won't see anyone on this thread advise you to buy a 1D X with your existing lenses. So if you are looking for justification to go for the 1D X, you should probably look elsewhere. If you want justification for 1D IV, well, you have some very good advice right here.

Also, I think you should just go to a shop and play with your two options, or better still, rent the one you think most likely. I'd really worry about myself if I decided to drop 6K on something I have never tried.

At the end of the day, both are good cameras, so why worry your head. Just buy what your heart desires and you will be happy with it. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I see a couple of options

with sports in mind I have a question though is it indoor and outdoor sports or just outdoor or just indoor?

I think you could probably get a decent 1Dmk4 for $3k leaving you with $5k for glass

in this case i'd look at a couple of glass options
1) sigma 120-300 f2.8OS $3.5k this leaves you with $1.5k to look at some other nice glass maybe a used canon 135 f2L and a tamron 24-70 VC

2) tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC and tamron 150-600 VC plus you will still have some change maybe get the sigma 50 f1.4 art

3) go for the older sigma 120-300 f2.8 which is supposed to be optically the same as the new S version but is only $2k
leaving you with 3k still for more glass

or

get the 1Dx and get the tamron 150-600 and a canon 135 f2L
If i was in your position and was looking at sports mostly this is what i would do
I think the AF system upgrade of the 61 point system is worth it and get more glass later

while the 1D4 is good its getting old now and you can only get second hand with no warranty so you have to consider that too but with the 1D4 choice i would go with my option 2 and sell the 24-105 and other lenses and maybe look at the new 16-35 f4L IS as UWA are great for environment and things like team shots also the 16-35 range on 1.3 crop is more like 20-48mm which is a really nice walk around range

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
You won't see anyone on this thread advise you to buy a 1D X with your existing lenses. So if you are looking for justification to go for the 1D X, you should probably look elsewhere.

At the end of the day, both are good cameras, so why worry your head. Just buy what your heart desires and you will be happy with it. Good luck.

I hear ya. I usually dont worry about others opinions as if I want something I buy it... as for test driving... if it does what I need I adapt to my tools.... just me...

wickidwombat said:
I see a couple of options

with sports in mind I have a question though is it indoor and outdoor sports or just outdoor or just indoor?

get the 1Dx and get the tamron 150-600 and a canon 135 f2L
If i was in your position and was looking at sports mostly this is what i would do
I think the AF system upgrade of the 61 point system is worth it and get more glass later

while the 1D4 is good its getting old now and you can only get second hand with no warranty so you have to consider that too....

to answer your first question...
indoor - MMA both 7yr and 14yr old do Mixed Artial Arts
outdoor - both do street hockey and travel soccer.

The biggest issue I have with the 1dm4 is just what you said... 3k for a camera with no warranty. tough to vouch for... yes 1dx is considerably more but warrantied.

tamron 150-600 I see would be nice on either but 150 is not short enough. I have used my 55-250 and while on a crop 55 made me lean back so 150 would miss that shot in outdoor soccer. 600 would be nice... I have leaned towards wanting the sigma 50-500 for a compromise and I understand the issues with it.

side thing I didnt mention... If I do not use all the money leftovers will somehow trickle into the bill fund. while I have thecoppertunity I want to look at my best options. I know glass b4 body but some bodies make a difference eventually in certain situations.

I have always lusted the 1dx and can get some glass now and slowly add what I need. I sell hobbies to fund hobbies...

while people look at the price of 5dm3 / 1dm4 / 1dx and know value... at the end if wife gets mad im spending all the money on camera gear... she dont care how much each piece is. she just knows guy is giving me $7k and im spending it all. sell my winch for $1000-$1250 and that will purchase another lens.

it took me a lomg time to ebay up hobbies and get the gear I have now (2009) so I need to make the wise decision because after this purchase I wont be buying again until like 2020 or longer.

thanks for sticking with me trying to help and not getting frustrated....
in 1 week with cash in hand im gonna post up what will be ordered....

Upvote 0
TeleFragger said:
The biggest issue I have with the 1dm4 is just what you said... 3k for a camera with no warranty. tough to vouch for... yes 1dx is considerably more but warrantied.

If this is the ONLY issue, then you might want to keep checking KEH for used 1D IV bodies. They offer a 6-month warranty and KEH quality control is solid.

TeleFragger said:
I have always lusted the 1dx and can get some glass now and slowly add what I need. I sell hobbies to fund hobbies...

My 2 cents: If I have my heart set on something, and end up settling for less, the regret is almost never worth it.
So if I do like something so much, then I either get it or wait until I can do so.

Upvote 0
for MMA really I think the best lens here is the Canon 135 f2L is light fast with fast accurate AF and has good reach obviously no zoom though, if you can get in closer I think the 24-70 canon mk2 (too expensive but awesome) or the tamron 24-70 2.8 VC (check dustin's review in the review section).

honestly take my advice on the long lens forget the sigma 50-500 compared to the tamron 150-600 the tamron kills it in both optics and AF performance. the only thing the sigma has is poanning mode IS and bigger range but your 24-105 covers the bottom end anyway.

look at what your specifics are indoors MMA - THE lens here is the 135 f2L on a 1Dx it will be pure magic there is nothing in your budget that will even come close to this combo i bought my 2 year old used 135 f2L for $700 to give you an idea of saving some bucks with good quality used glass

Honestly after you have elaborated
sell all your current gear to add funds
Buy a 1Dx
Buy a canon 135 f2L
buy a tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC

Consider carfully how much funding remains and look at your longer lens options

se if you can squeeze in a $3500 sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS SPORT or the older $2000 sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS
this would serve you better than the 70-200 offerings IMO

hope that helps, that's just what I would do in your position and knowing what I know now with the gear I have now

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
honestly take my advice on the long lens forget the sigma 50-500 compared to the tamron 150-600 the tamron kills it in both optics and AF performance. the only thing the sigma has is poanning mode IS and bigger range but your 24-105 covers the bottom end anyway.

look at what your specifics are indoors MMA - THE lens here is the 135 f2L on a 1Dx it will be pure magic there is nothing in your budget that will even come close to this combo i bought my 2 year old used 135 f2L for $700 to give you an idea of saving some bucks with good quality used glass.

im allowed on the matt for belt testing. i find a corner from my son and go. my 85 on my crop is 136mm on a ff and no way usabe as im not sitting on the seats but in close....

my 50 on crop is 80mm on ff and is way better but I do feel my 24-105 is the range for MMA... albeit maybe not the best lens for it @f4 but it is the range that works... so not sure yet on what to do...

i understand the 50-600 maybe better but like said sacrifices are understood. since this is kids sports and my kids I dont have time to switch to 24-105 when kids are running down the field... heck.. on a FF 500 wont be much more reach than what i have now with my 55-250 on a 1.6 crop however a 2x teleconverter is now 100-1000 and will reach way farther.

we will see how it goes with cash... i want the 1dx but practicality is leaning me back to 1dm4...
I also want to renew my MMA classes and can take $1k of the $7k for 1 year thus giving me $6k budget...

however if I go to do a paid gig as im hoping to do (against wifes will so not telling her yet) and if it goes how I hope.. then maybe a 1dx in my future... with 1d4 as a backup or even a 5dm3 to which maybe well better suited for MMA....

Upvote 0
Seriously you think you can use a 2x tc in a sigma 50-500? Wtf?
This statement alone indicates a 1dx might be more than you can handle right now
Besides the fact that even on a 1dx it will be manual focus only and this useless for sport the image quality will be abominable.
Even the 5d mk3 sound like it's out of your league
My last piece of advice before leaving this thread since you really don't want to listen to our advice would be forget the 1dx
Get a 5d mk3 and a 1dmk4
If you have access that close to the mma if go with the 16-35 f2.8 or 24-70 II from canon

Lenses buy what you want then When you realize you have wasted your money come back and make a thread about why the lenses don't work on your expensive cameras.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
Seriously you think you can use a 2x tc in a sigma 50-500? Wtf?
This statement alone indicates a 1dx might be more than you can handle right now
Besides the fact that even on a 1dx it will be manual focus only and this useless for sport the image quality will be abominable.
Even the 5d mk3 sound like it's out of your league
My last piece of advice before leaving this thread since you really don't want to listen to our advice would be forget the 1dx
Get a 5d mk3 and a 1dmk4
If you have access that close to the mma if go with the 16-35 f2.8 or 24-70 II from canon

Lenses buy what you want then When you realize you have wasted your money come back and make a thread about why the lenses don't work on your expensive cameras.

hmmm ok... think someone busted a blood vessel...

I am going possibly the 1dm4 if I can have one at a good price... the 5dm3 is reachable as it is close to the same price.. my problem is I feel.. and that is me.. that the 5dm3 is like the nikon d610... yes FF... yes great low light.. yes will do sports.. both not 10fps and all...

I get the comment on the 50-500... yes it isnt a great lens... i took pics today.. yes sneakerzoom.. setup yourself at the spot you want to shoot from... so ideal is 70-200 2.8 IS II and only shoot what comes in your proximity.. with understanding of cropping some... I have a friend with the 50-500 so will most likely borrow his to see how crappy this lens is.... I want something with short and long range... yes and maybe it will loose some IQ... fine..
coming from my t2i that I am struggling to keep working right any camera will do better. I also understand it is not the gear that makes the pics.. it is the photographer..
today I was shooting my t2i / 55-250 and today my camera decided on shutter priority and auto iso (clouds rolling in and out so I chose that) that it would auto to 6400 ONLY... so I had to go manual and shoot... yeah it is ok...

I am going to go through this entire thread as the only reason the truck is not sold yet is I sold the carburator off of it so I can order a qjet which should be better on emissions... with that now a guy wants it and he is going to drive it home... so im expecting cash in 2 days as tomorrow I get carb and will put it on tomorrow night and if all runs well he will come tues/wed for it... so ordering or want to find a local camera shop with what I want as both of my kids have a soccer tournament next weekend...

so since you seemed very boisterous on your though and a big angry... tell me what would work well for what I would like to accomplish... but on a serious note...

one pic of my son 00 cropped pic in too... edited on a laptop and non calculated screen.. hope it looks good on your end...

t2i - 55-250
Riggs by TeleFragger / RootBreaker, on Flickr

Upvote 0
This is absolutely just my opinion of course, so please keep that in mind. But in my experiences shooting soccer at the collegiate level you don't have much time switching between two cameras. For instance in football I'll have one camera with a 400 on it and a 2nd camera with a 70-200. I know you're not doing this but it'll bring me to my point. I would suggest that the 1D4 is a great choice. But why don't you go for an intermediate lens, such as the 70-200 f/2.8L II IS or a 300 f/2.8L I IS lens. Save up some money and focus on ONE camera and ONE really good lens and then if action gets too close, just do like I have to do and move back. I was pretty much able to shoot every soccer game with either a 300 or 400 lens on one camera this year.

Just my opinion. I know it's extra money that you didn't budget in this thread description, but maybe if your son continues to play soccer at higher levels, it would be a good investment.

Upvote 0