Upgrading from 5DIII to 5DIV -- your probable reasons?

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
So curious as to which reasonably probably improvements would motivate you to upgrade?
I don't want to read "zero noise at ISO 64,000" or "eye focus" like my A2e film bodies or ...
With three "C" modes, I can utilize so many of the 5DIII features with a minimum of diddling -- so I feel that my upgrade from 70D to 5DIII would be a good investment at today's prices. I already have FF glass.
Waiting for some Holy Grail costing over $3,500 for the 1st two years seems senseless.
Your thoughts?

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I've had a 5DII and a 5DIII forever. I still have't mastered all of the features (especially the af cases). That said, I feel that I have spent enough time with the camera under enough conditions that I can and want to justify an upgrade to either a 5DIV/X or the 1DXII.

One reason is that I am nearing retirement and may not have another opportunity to make may big selfish investments. Another reason is that I feel that a step up in camera capability can improve my images.

I am looking for in descending order of importance:

Better/faster/more accurate focusing (all aspects including screen coverage)
Improvement in IQ (to the extent that sensor contributes to IQ)
Modest improvement in Iso range
Modest improvement in DR
Modest improvement in MP (say 2-4 would be fine for me, not at the expense of sensitivity or IQ)
Not a videographer, but I don't begrudge anyone who wants 4K, and if it were introduced, I would want it to be introduced with DPAF with the best quality reasonable, and who knows, I would use it and maybe I would be a convert.

In summary, it would not take much for me to pull the trigger. I have already started to save. I am waiting for information so that I can decide which body will be the right choice for me. I am planning a trip to S. Africa this August, so I want to get the best images possible, and I will need to get practice before I go.

Sek

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
My 5D3 would have to die for me to upgrade and then in order for it not to be replaced by another Mk3 the Quattro/X would need a few features from the 7D2/80D I'd like. That flicker thingy, DPAF,a small DR bump, Live View grid for horizontal deficiency syndrome...stuff like that. Just like Scott said, I also haven't mastered all the features. I'm sure if I had a 6D I would have but the 3 is much more camera.

Upvote 0
I'm coming from 6 D, not 5D III, but I expect the 5D IV to have these features to make the upgrade reasonable for me:
-3EV, more useable AF points at F8, some minor advance in AF compared to mk III (itr), minor increase in Res (although 22 MP is high enough for me) and fps, GPS , WIFI (not likely), and some major advance in low light capabilities and Dynamic Range (at least as good as current 6D or slightly better).
From those mentioned above, better high ISO image quality, DR, GPS, WIFI are the most important for me. That is why I decided not to change 6D for a 5D III (or 7D II, either). My use is mostly wildlife, nature lately.

Only my opinion.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
AdamBotond said:
better high ISO image quality, DR, GPS, WIFI are the most important for me.

Adam (et. al.) I agree with all of you... The 5DIII is wonderful, yep, I lust for one.
I use my iPhone for GPS then copy the info to all images from the shoot via Lightroom.
I have card reader thingy for my iPad which I use for transfer images at the end of the day.
That said, I would still love GPS & WiFi on the camera body!

I'll be patient and continue saving for a FF body. If the 5DIV offered the world, I'll dig deeper. If not, maybe the 6D will eclipse the current 5D... If not again, the "old" 5DIII will be coming home!

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
It is very unlikely that I will get a 5D4, given that I got a 5DsR. GPS and user interchangeable focusing screens (as in 5D2) would be potentially interesting for using it as a back-up camera. Currently I georeference with google earth, which certainly is clunky.
But I think I'd rather get a 1Dx2, if I want a small sensor body. AF and frame rate are irrelevant, but GPS, focusing screens, and built-in grip are pluses. I assume the user interface is different from 5D3/S/4, so that is a downside, and the different batteries.

Upvote 0
Had money ready for the 5DIV forever. Meanwhile upgraded to a 6D + 5DSR combo. Pure magic. 5DSR AF and RAW files make me wonder if I would use the 5DIV enough to justify the purchase.

To me a 5DIV would have to have significantly better high iso at a reasonable MPIX count (>28 MPIX). If it came with good eye focus AF I might give it some slack on the size of the high iso improvement. @ <28 MPIX the high iso improvement would have to be spectacular.

We will see. Never regretted giving the 5DIII a pass. Maybe the 5DSR has become the 5DIV to me. Still liking it more every time I use it.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

scottkinfw said:
I've had a 5DII and a 5DIII forever. I still have't mastered all of the features (especially the af cases). That said, I feel that I have spent enough time with the camera under enough conditions that I can and want to justify an upgrade to either a 5DIV/X or the 1DXII.

One reason is that I am nearing retirement and may not have another opportunity to make may big selfish investments. Another reason is that I feel that a step up in camera capability can improve my images.

I am looking for in descending order of importance:

Better/faster/more accurate focusing (all aspects including screen coverage)
Improvement in IQ (to the extent that sensor contributes to IQ)
Modest improvement in Iso range
Modest improvement in DR
Modest improvement in MP (say 2-4 would be fine for me, not at the expense of sensitivity or IQ)
Not a videographer, but I don't begrudge anyone who wants 4K, and if it were introduced, I would want it to be introduced with DPAF with the best quality reasonable, and who knows, I would use it and maybe I would be a convert.

In summary, it would not take much for me to pull the trigger. I have already started to save. I am waiting for information so that I can decide which body will be the right choice for me. I am planning a trip to S. Africa this August, so I want to get the best images possible, and I will need to get practice before I go.

Sek

Well said.

Aside from the retirement reasoning (which I totally understand, just not there yet)... almost exactly what I was thinking. I love the 5D3 and use them constantly, over the many cameras I own. It not without flaws but it was the first camera that just felt right with me. I just bought a third 5D3 when the prices dropped so low and I'll keep it in the box for now. I will probably buy a 4 in whatever flavor it comes in that draws my attention. I won't jump in head first though and will wait about 6 to 12 months before pulling the trigger.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If money were no object I would just spring for a 1DX Mark II. Since money is a problem right now I would spring for a 5DX if one were ever made with 10-12 fps. I would do so near the end of the product cycle rather than at launch. That just makes more sense to me, an amateur enthusiast.

That being said, I love my 5D mark III and am nowhere close to learning how to manipulate all the features.

Because of that, I think an EF 600mm MKII is more a priority.

Yeah, I know. I'm all over the map. :)

Upvote 0
I swapped my 5DIII with a 5DSR and my 1DX is about to be upgraded to a 1DXII. To me this is a fantastic combo and, within reason, it covers/will cover everything I do. I am still amazed of the image quality I get from the 5DSR.

But! I have a number of Zeiss lenses and for that purpose I have mounted a precision focusing screen in my 5DSR, which darkens the viewfinder at bit and makes using slower lenses than f2.8 in lower light problematic. So, currently, my 5DSR spends most of its time in the Zeiss bag and, if the 5DIV provides something special, it might be that I will be tempted to have it as a new partner for the 1DXII and also as a single walk-around camera, when size and weight matters.

Another temptation I´ve struggled with for a long time is medium format. I know of a CR member who has the new 100MP PhaseOne on order ...

Upvote 0
My love for scapes and macro takes me to a different direction than most folks.

- Higher color Depth (Pulling files in post allowing color transitions better without breaking apart)
- Higher resolution without AA
- 9 point AF with all points -4EV capable and very spread out
- AE linked to AF point
- Zebras and focus peaking
- Manual focus screen options
- MF zoom aids
- Sensor stabilized with
-Star tracking
-high res mode
-De-bayer mode via multishot
-Sensor Shift to fix perspective
- Hardware based full well enhancement e.g. iso 50 or even is iso 25
- Focus Bracketing
- LED light assist for working in the Dark
- I would not care if this is a 1fps body, although to help others, 8fps would be great
- Don't need video, although 4k would bring with it some bragging rights..
- Industry leading SNR
- Less than $2500

If Pentax can do it at $1799, it can be done by Canon just as well

Upvote 0

LoneRider

Profession Geek.
Oct 4, 2011
Great state of Texas
If we are right, and the 5D[iv|X] is going to be the holly grail camera, at $3000-$3500 there will be a lot of value. Right now we are in a buying hold until it is at least announced.

If it is 8FPS, DPAF, close to 1DX-ii AF, touch screen, GPS, better DR than the 5D-iii, and so on, that will get me to jump to FF. Otherwise, I am likely to slide and replace the 50D/7D I have with an 80D. But if the 5D[x] is all what Canon is capable of (proven released technology), I will gladly replace the EF-S glass and go for FF. Just a warmed over 5D-iii is not going to get it done, I want good DPAF with touch screen.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
IglooEater said:
Maiaibing said:
afonsoclj said:
- IBIS (will not happen, but I'd love)

Would buy a 5DIV w/5DIII specs for this alone...

So would I. Even though I'd really have to stretch the budget to fit a new 5D, IBIS would make me do it.

canon has far too much invested on lens IS to go this route.

Upvote 0
slclick said:
IglooEater said:
Maiaibing said:
afonsoclj said:
- IBIS (will not happen, but I'd love)

Would buy a 5DIV w/5DIII specs for this alone...

So would I. Even though I'd really have to stretch the budget to fit a new 5D, IBIS would make me do it.

canon has far too much invested on lens IS to go this route.

Agree.

However they should also consider a counter view. As Sony/Pentax/MILC's release more lenses, there will be a gradual shift away, unless Canon competes head on, it makes no sense to stand ground where there is a possible sink-hole developing underneath. Its not only about Stabilization, but it opens up several other options. e.g. Star tracing, Shifting for parallels, Debayering, 4x high MP shots, AA filtering etc.

Upvote 0