Using tilt-shift lenses with focus- and exposure-assist

larjon

CR Pro
Nov 4, 2016
The first time I used a tilt-shift lens I was naive enough to believe that the
auto-exposure would work. I knew I had to focus manually, and then realized I also had
to set the exposure manually. But then came the EOS 5D Mark II with live view, and I was
able to let the camera auto-exposure with the lens shifted.

I have tested my recent 5D Mark IV with both the TS-E 17mm f/4L and the
TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II trying to auto-exposure using the view finder. When the lens shifted
to its maximum to the left or right, the 5D4 over-exposures. When doing the same up or
down, the 5D4 under-exposures heavily.

I have however come up with a method that lets the camera auto-exposure with the lens
shifted when looking thru the viewfinder.
1. Compose the picture looking thru the viewfinder, with the lens shifted as required
2. Keeping the camera steady, press the live view button
3. Press the shutter button to take the picture
4. Press the live view button again to return to viewfinder mode

The only problem is to keep the camera steady while temporary switching to live view,
still "looking" thru the now dark viewfinder, and taking the picture. A tripod would of course help.

I would gladly see a sort of macro option to let the user define a mode which will do
steps 2-4 automatically when pressing the shutter button.

Although the tilt-shift lenses lack autofocus, the camera can still assist you when
focusing. While pressing the shutter button halfway, turn the focus ring until the
camera "beeps" and the red autofocus point(s) lights up, indicating that correct focus
is achieved. Since there is no focus motor in the lens, the photographer have to be
that motor, but the camera can still detect when focused correctly.