Venus Optics adds RF mounts to some of their current Laowa lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Anhui China, December 13, 2022 – Venus Optics, a pioneer in producing unique photo and cine lenses, announced today the addition of new mounts for the Magic Shift Converter (MSC), transforming the normal lenses into a professional shift lens with ±10mm shift capability. On top of the existing Canon EF, Nikon F and Nikon G

See full article...

Apr 25, 2011
The shift adapter sounds like a very interesting concept. I wonder how many people might get one of those.
It's a shifting teleconverter. Depending on the quality of the glass (both the converter glass and the converted lens) vs. the pixel pitch of your camera, you might be able to get the same or better effect just by cropping.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That 65mm seems to be delayed thanks to 0 Covid lockdowns.
Isn't Laowa a Chinese company? Not sure. Anyway, there have been some huge recent lockdowns in China. Supply chains are still disrupted. I think I read that China has loosened up in the past week or so.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Isn't Laowa a Chinese company? Not sure. Anyway, there have been some huge recent lockdowns in China. Supply chains are still disrupted. I think I read that China has loosened up in the past week or so.
Yes they are based in Heifei(Anhui province), China. China did "loosen" restrictions but the whole situation is still quite ambiguous.

Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
It's a shifting teleconverter. Depending on the quality of the glass (both the converter glass and the converted lens) vs. the pixel pitch of your camera, you might be able to get the same or better effect just by cropping.
Also, as it requires a physical aperture ring it won't work with any (?) Canon EF lenses, only some 3rd party ones. I guess it could be a nice addition to the Laowa 12mm lens though.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I have to admit... I read this and found it interesting... but all it made me want is the RF TS lenses to come out sooner.
The RF T/S lenses (at least some of them) will supposedly have AF, but most T/S work is done on a tripod - by nature it is a slowish process setting up a shot, so the value of AF is arguable. The EF mount versions are excellent, so why lust after the RF version?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The RF T/S lenses (at least some of them) will supposedly have AF, but most T/S work is done on a tripod - by nature it is a slowish process setting up a shot, so the value of AF is arguable. The EF mount versions are excellent, so why lust after the RF version?
The question is also whether they will Af before or after tilt or shift operation. I too do not see any relevant advantage in AF , for me at least. Yet, I'm only an occasional TS lens user. A professional might see it differently. Would be intersesting reading Keith Cooper's opinion on the subject!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The bare minimum improvement I'd like to see is that it can sense the amount of tilt and shift and log that to the EXIF. Other brands are already doing that. It would make applying lens corrections in post a lot more feasible.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The question is also whether they will Af before or after tilt or shift operation. I too do not see any relevant advantage in AF , for me at least. Yet, I'm only an occasional TS lens user. A professional might see it differently. Would be intersesting reading Keith Cooper's opinion on the subject!
Maybe just to make the lens more useful for other photography? Just another feature to give it more value? I'd imagine the af would keep some traveler from carrying another lens. I've never owned a TS lens, so just spit balling.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Maybe just to make the lens more useful for other photography? Just another feature to give it more value? I'd imagine the af would keep some traveler from carrying another lens. I've never owned a TS lens, so just spit balling.
Funnily enough, one of the reasons why I love using my T/S-E 24mm is *because* it is slow to use. It takes time to set up a tripod, adjust the tilt and/or shift, and focus manually, during which time I'm spending more time also studying the composition, and noticing/eliminating distracting elements in the scene. If you haven't used one, hire one for a weekend and give it a try, it will be a revelation!

I'm sure there will be someone, somewhere, sometime, who can find a use for AF in a T/S lens...

and yes, It will be very interesting to hear Keith Cooper's opinions on this - if *anyone* will know how to get the best out of it, it will be Keith.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It will be very interesting to hear Keith Cooper's opinions on this - if *anyone* will know how to get the best out of it, it will be Keith.
Yes! I'll be waiting to see what Keith does. Honestly, the reason I've not tried it is because of the process. I have a huge problem concentrating and staying on task these days. I tend to forget what I am doing sometimes. I drove away from a good Manfrotto light stand and light in the middle of the desert a few years ago. I have to have someone with me.

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
The question is also whether they will Af before or after tilt or shift operation. I too do not see any relevant advantage in AF , for me at least. Yet, I'm only an occasional TS lens user.
Yes, for my use of a TSE17 and generally wide angle the "missing" AF is not a problem.
But the TSE 90mm 2.8 as RF version with AF can be used as an portrait (or macro) lens also.

Two(!)-Eye-Autofokus with slightly tilted plane can be a nice thing, i guess....

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Yes, for my use of a TSE17 and generally wide angle the "missing" AF is not a problem.
But the TSE 90mm 2.8 as RF version with AF can be used as an portrait (or macro) lens also.

Two(!)-Eye-Autofokus with slightly tilted plane can be a nice thing, i guess....
Right!
I had forgotten (I do not use them!) the 50, 90 and 135mm TSEs. AF is certainly useful for them!
What could also be a benefit, if technically possible, is kind of an automatic hyperfocal function when tilting...I guess that's what you meant with two-eye AF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Because I don't have a TS lens yet, and I would like to get a native one when it's released. The rumored RF sounds better, and I can wait.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Because I don't have a TS lens yet, and I would like to get a native one when it's released. The rumored RF sounds better, and I can wait.
That makes perfect sense. The EF mount versions however are extremely good, and mint copies can be had for less than a third of what you'll pay for a native RF version. For 99% of T/S photography, people will be using a tripod and focusing manually, so personally I question the *need* for AF - it seems more like a marketing *feature* than something of practical value.

Upvote 0