Video is challenging - how to get started

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I dislike Adobe cloud only products, but use an old version of elements for photos. Final cut pro is what I see many people use. I am on Linux and use KDenLive, it is super easy to learn. Copy many photos or videos onto the split video and audio timeline. Use scissor icon to cut, and delete segments. Vegas came from 90's Sonic Foundry and was bought out by Sony, unless they added a bunch of extra advanced features, I am surprised you are having trouble as their interface is similar to audio editor they offer and drag and drop clips, cut and stretch.. Pretty easy. Avoid large file sizes like 4 or 8k. Start with 1080p and just learn to chop up videos, then render to mp4 format. Right now, forget learning extra stuff like titles, dissolves and other features until you figure out basic editing. The reason you are overwhelmed might be too many features?, hence why I dislike the regular Photoshop. "Explaining computers" channel on youtube has examples of KDenlive editing, he is really basic and the process is the same with most editors I have seen.

iMovie I used on my older cRippled crapple computers, it was procedure based with a wizard to help. Designed for anyone to use.
Good advice. Vegas has progressed and many say it's easy but I am still a bit overwhelmed and I think I'm the type that spins my wheels and then at some point there is traction. Once I have the traction, generally away I go so some of it's psychological, fear of what appears impossible. However, I find there are these various terms that also contribute to this traction issue like when I started with a DSLR, I was buying my first DSLR and I didn't know what crop meant. Of course it's simple but if there are a number of such terms then there is a learning curve just to be able to understand/communicate.

I debated if this is appropriate but why not - here is a big reason why I have limited time in spite of being retired. It's mind boggling because I started on it and quit 20 years ago but this time it has to get finished. Parts were unmarked and everywhere! Once my heart was really into it but now... :(

Jack

Attachments

• Squire paint top view_6829.JPG
    Squire paint top view_6829.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Have you tried editing software further? FWIW, I find the entire process not fun, but more of a time dump that isn't my interest other that splicing together clips. It is very time consuming to do pro level videos and be good at it and too much work for me to do all the extras, transitions, etc. that I see is why people outsource it. Wizard based tools like iMovie used to be pretty nice in the version I used 12+ years ago. Premiere I would not use at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I totally understand where you're coming from with the challenge of starting with video editing. I was in a similar boat and found that jumping straight into software like Vegas Pro can be pretty daunting. What really helped me get the hang of it was using Movavi Video Editor. It's designed with beginners in mind but has plenty of advanced features to explore as you get more comfortable. The interface is super user-friendly, making tasks like stitching videos together or adding filters and transitions pretty straightforward. It also doesn't bombard you with ads, and the premium version leaves no watermark, which is great for keeping your videos looking clean. For editing videos of your talented African Grey, this could be a fantastic starting point. You can learn more about combining videos and other editing tips here: https://www.movavi.com/learning-portal/combine-videos-windows-10.html.

Last edited:
Upvote 0