Time for an upgrade/change (1D mark II to 60D?)

I'm looking to upgrade, this is what I have:
1) Canon 1D mark II (8 megapixel 1.3x crop sensor from 2004)
2) Canon 50mm F1.4 USM lens
3) Tamron 28-75 F2.8 (which has a decentered lens element or something else causing blurry images in the left one fifth of the frame).

A local camera reseller (here in Croatia) is willing to accept trade-ins, so I thought I'd get something from his lineup.

I'm kind of torn between a number of options and concepts, so I thought I could use your input.

The two basic directions are as follows:

1) Keep my 1D and spend money on lenses... then upgrade to a full frame camera one day in the future (this means putting up with my 1D for some time longer)
2) Jump to 60D APS-C and get some APS-C glass and I could be set right away (this option gets me video now).

Option 1: Trade in defective Tamron, keep 1D and get:
Canon 70-200mm f/4L USM (without IS)
[dead autofocus] Sigma 17-35mm 2.8-4 HSM EX Aspherical - for the wide end
Canon 430 EX flash
I already have a fast prime - Canon 50mm F1.4 USM
So I'd be covered from 17mm to 200mm and have a flash.

Option 2: Trade in defective Tamron and 1D and get:
Canon 60D
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC
Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon 430 EX flash
Covered from 17 to 300mm and have a flash.

Option 3: Trade in defective Tamron and 1D and get:
Canon 60D
Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon 70-200mm f/4L USM (without IS)
Covered from 18mm to 200mm but no flash.

There are so many other options and combinations...
Two other lenses which are the same price as the 70-200 are:
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 17-40mm F4 L USM

TL:DR
Which one of the three options above (in bold) sounds best?

Somehow I feel that being patient (option 1), and collecting some full frame glass, will pay off in the future when I decide to get a full frame camera.
For now... learn how to use a flash properly and work with the mentioned lenses.

At the moment, the 6D (which he has in stock) is out of my price range. Basically, I am adding about $500 cash to my current setup.
He also has the 5D mark II.. but getting the 5D mark II would mean I would have no flash and only one lens... the 50mm F1.4 USM.

So in short... yes I'm interested in the 6D... but this will have to wait until later on in the year.

The current options are phase one of my camera upgrade.... more to come :)

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
You need to explain what your main interests are in photography. If you need a telephoto, I would watch ebay for a deal on a 70-200 f/4L with IS. It's sharper than the non-IS version, has weather resistant gaskets and will help you keep your shutter speed down to help avoid noise. If you're patient, you can pick one up for $500 or a little more. Quality over quantity. Later you can find a used/refurbished Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM for the wide end. If saving money is currently critical, worry about moving to a full-frame camera later. The 70-200 f/4L IS is a keeper.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
It looks to me like the big questions are how much you care about video and whether you are ok downshifting to aps-c. If you really want to do video that would seem to settle it. Otherwise, it would seem to be about whether you want to go with aps-c or full frame. aps-c is lighter, and cheaper and the lenses have more reach. Full frame is fullframe--bigger prints or more cropping and better high ISO.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the lens recommendation.
I had not considered this lens because I did not know the difference in price was relatively small (but currently above my budget).

Seems like a good idea to put this on my 'to buy' list when I get some more cash... and be patient until then.

One use for a 70-200 would be portraits with a decent amount of detail and bokeh.

I will be working on a 6 star river cruise ship which cruises from Amsterdam to Budapest... every day a new European city > so a setup to capture the sights that I see... a range of focal lengths will be useful. (both taking pictures from the ship whilst sailing, and when walking around the cities/towns).

Video is not that important at the moment... it is on the 'I would like to have it some day' list, but not urgent. I have no experience shooting video.

So this is a photography setup, and I want quality... I don't mind if the camera and lenses are bigger.
The final price of the total setup is the main thing I am still undecided about.. the APS-C route will be cheaper.
I do not shoot shoot sports or action, and this is only for personal use at the moment. I will be able to use a flash to light the portraits. (so I guess full frame isn't a must as I will probably be able to avoid those high ISOs most of the time).

Sights like this deserve to be captured properly... not with a smartphone!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8525358@N07/39113211445/

Upvote 0
End use of your photos is key question. How big do you want to print and are you a pixel peeper? APS-C is truly fine for most situations. Actually, your option #2 seems attractive. 60D has built-in flash which can control 430EX as slave, so you actually would have 2 flashes. Remember that 60D has no auto focus during video - focus is set at start of video clip. You'd need to stretch to a 70D to pick-up live auto focus during video.

I've used the 17-35 Sigma EX (option #1) and really enjoyed its wide end but found it was soft & low contrast at the 35mm end. The 70-300 IS USM (opt. #2) is a solid telephoto that mates well with the 60D. It's IS is only worth about 2 stops so not up to current standards, but still a worthy performer. With 60D your 50mm 1.4 is likely your portrait lens of choice.

Upvote 0
Prints probably wont be bigger than A4, but (one day) I'd like the images to look sharp on a nice big 4K television.
At the moment I have a 32 inch 1080p TV... so it's not hard to get things looking sharp on this display.
However, a large 55-65 inch 4K screen will take a bit more work.
In photographic terms, neither of these two are very demanding as 4K equates to about 8 megapixels.

Thank you for mentioning the flash to me... this is one area that is missing in my photography, that I need to learn.
I've previously avoided flash because the small direct flashes on cheaper older compact cameras just makes everything look terrible and unnatural. Obviously a decent speedlite bounced off a wall is something totally different.

Upvote 0
If you think you will go full frame in the future, it makes sense to start buying EF lenses only and not EF-S (which fit APS-C bodies only). The 70-200 f4L (either with or without IS) is an outstanding lens and will give you truly professional results. I use the f2.8 version (original, non-IS) which is amazingly sharp with beautiful bokeh, but also heavy and a bit expensive (though much less expensive than the current IS ii). Considering how old your current 1D markii is, I think the 60D would be a definite upgrade even though it is technically a lower series of camera.

Upvote 0
Time has run out, and I will be leaving the country to go work on the river ship.
So, I am forced into the 'wait a bit longer' option.

If everything goes according to plan and I end up sailing through Cologne, Germany regularly... I will get my Tamron 28-75 F2.8 lens serviced at the official Tamron service centre there.

Then I will contemplate what to do next... however, one thing is certain... as suggested, If I end up getting a 70-200 f4L lens, I will make sure it is the IS version since the difference in price is not too big.

Upvote 0