Wait for R5... Mark 2?

The time gap between the 5D Mark III and Mark IV was about two years, same as the time between the EOS R and the R5. More so than previous releases, I am starting to feel that I may really want to upgrade to the Mark II of the R5 line, and given that I appear to have plenty of time to reconsider my preorder (it's looking like 1 month on the low end, and 3 months on the high end), I've been considering whether the right move is to just wait out this first revision, with the hope of seeing an R5 Mark II come 2022. The most unfortunate part about all this is the lens mount transition lining up with the switch to mirrorless. I was hoping to start transitioning to RF now, but under my new thinking that would mean getting EOS R to hold me over as there's probably not going to be an RF-to-EF adapter to use RF lenses on an EF body. I'm curious if anyone else is having similar thoughts along these lines.

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The time gap between the 5D Mark III and Mark IV was about two years, same as the time between the EOS R and the R5. More so than previous releases, I am starting to feel that I may really want to upgrade to the Mark II of the R5 line, and given that I appear to have plenty of time to reconsider my preorder (it's looking like 1 month on the low end, and 3 months on the high end), I've been considering whether the right move is to just wait out this first revision, with the hope of seeing an R5 Mark II come 2022. The most unfortunate part about all this is the lens mount transition lining up with the switch to mirrorless. I was hoping to start transitioning to RF now, but under my new thinking that would mean getting EOS R to hold me over as there's probably not going to be an RF-to-EF adapter to use RF lenses on an EF body. I'm curious if anyone else is having similar thoughts along these lines.
The time between 5D Mark III and 5D Mark IV was about 4.5 years not two (March 2012, Aug 2016)!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

You risk falling into the trap of letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. If you keep holding off for one more thing, you'll end up dying with no camera.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012

What camera are you using now?

The setup that gives the most flexible setup is having a R body and EF & RF lenses. If you stick with EOS bodies, then you'll be restricted to EF lenses. That is the trade you have you evaluate for yourself. Me? I got the R to replace my 5D3, but I still kept my 5D4 for sports. The firmware updates have increased its AF performance (i.e. eye detect) and for portraits, the R is better than the 5D4, but the 5D4 is still better with a higher frame rate and is easier to track action while taking photos. The R5 is will allow me to transition fully to the R/RF ecosystem and unload the 5D4 and a few EF lenses.

The only reason why I was an early adopter of the R is because of the RF glass. Is the price premium of the R5 over the R worth it? For me, the increased frame rate, resolution, responsiveness, video features and the ability to be in the RF ecosystem (with support of EF specialized lenses) are worth it. The other question for you is whether a R6 will meet your needs for 1300 less?

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Couple years ago I was planning to buy GTX1080. But I waited for RTX2070/2080. Now I've been planning to buy RTX2070s, but the RTX3070 is around the corner, so I should wait.

Same with cameras. You should never look/hope for the future. Just asses your current situation if what you have is lacking something and you can buy something that fixes it, you should buy now. If you play the waiting game, you'll retire until you buy anything.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I already got the R5, now I'm just waiting impatiently on the R1 so that I can ditch my 1DX Mark II and 5D Mark III altogether :unsure:

Honestly I'd say there's so little more that you could want out of an R5 Mark II. The R5 is an incredible camera and absolutely crushes anything you could throw at it. I doubt an R5 mark II is coming anytime before 2023-2024. With the market we're in, longer development cycles are probably better.

I'd say if you're considering the R anyway, you might as well pick one up and see how you like it, maybe invest in some RF glass for a bit, and then the R5 will be in stock and probably even have discounts by the time you get around to upgrading, which will make it even more worth the money.

I think RF glass on its own warrants picking up the R system. The RF 70-200 is seriously just such a breath of fresh air for its tiny size, and the RF 35 1.8 is a new favorite of mine as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Maybe just wait to see what firmware changes improve some of the reported issues? There probably won't be anything on any line from Canon comparable for at least 2 years unless they roll some of this tech into a DSLR (which would interest me). I agree a few things about mirrorless are not there yet, but the R5 is already pretty sweet for stills and limited video use.

I'm doing some profiling for timelapse today in 1 hour test runs with various settings, and trying to find out what is the main heater on this camera, and main battery draw. So far I have it pinned to EVF or IBIS or Dual Pixel RAW at 45MP (or combo of all 3) as the big battery drainer and worst heater. With all those off, heat and battery were about the same as my 5D4 shooting about 800 shots over an hour.

If you don't like EVF or the smaller body like me, there is probably not much to do- those are what MILC is all about. There are a lot of advantages to both actually, and I am getting used to it and in some ways like those features as much as I dislike them.

I think heating is still really the only issue with this camera that I know of? That is starting to be understood to only happen in certain fairly predictable uses, especially now that customers are doing their own detailed test and recording conditions better than the hyped reviewers on youtube, and we are getting away from the loud voices and emotion and down to understanding the camera.

Just curious, but specifically what is holding you back on the R5, is it just all the controversy and nerves about a new release buy? I can certainly understand, this is my first time buying a camera right when it was out instead of a few firmware versions and price reductions in.

Upvote 0

The setup that gives the most flexible setup is having a R body and EF & RF lenses. If you stick with EOS bodies, then you'll be restricted to EF lenses. That is the trade you have you evaluate for yourself. Me? I got the R to replace my 5D3, but I still kept my 5D4 for sports. The firmware updates have increased its AF performance (i.e. eye detect) and for portraits, the R is better than the 5D4, but the 5D4 is still better with a higher frame rate and is easier to track action while taking photos. The R5 is will allow me to transition fully to the R/RF ecosystem and unload the 5D4 and a few EF lenses.

The only reason why I was an early adopter of the R is because of the RF glass. Is the price premium of the R5 over the R worth it? For me, the increased frame rate, resolution, responsiveness, video features and the ability to be in the RF ecosystem (with support of EF specialized lenses) are worth it. The other question for you is whether a R6 will meet your needs for 1300 less?

It is a bit of a convoluted answer, but my partner shoots Canon and I shoot Sony. I was looking forward to the R5 to be the point where we could both shoot the same system and finally share tools. She has EF lenses, so I was thinking we'd get R5's, use her existing set of EF lenses with the adapter and a few RF lenses, and then just be buying RF lenses from now on. In an ideal world it would have been a nice hack for me to not have to start from scratch when moving from Sony to Canon, and to continue making use of her old EF gear as we move to the new system together. Unfortunately, I am a hybrid shooter so I admit that the video stuff is affecting my decision a bit here too, but honestly had I just been able to get the stuff by now I might have just stuck it out with my Sony just for video (and maybe later picked up a dedicated RF Canon video camera if I found the R5 truly lacking?). It's been annoying because *everything* from Canon seems sold out (even adapters), and despite putting my preorder for the R5 in the first hour or so, I now look like I'm going to be waiting a good long while. Meanwhile, I've received the first RF lens (85mm), but I'm going to ship it back because I don't want the 1 month return to expire without ever having tried it out.

Upvote 0
It is a bit of a convoluted answer, but my partner shoots Canon and I shoot Sony. I was looking forward to the R5 to be the point where we could both shoot the same system and finally share tools. She has EF lenses, so I was thinking we'd get R5's, use her existing set of EF lenses with the adapter and a few RF lenses, and then just be buying RF lenses from now on. In an ideal world it would have been a nice hack for me to not have to start from scratch when moving from Sony to Canon, and to continue making use of her old EF gear as we move to the new system together. Unfortunately, I am a hybrid shooter so I admit that the video stuff is affecting my decision a bit here too, but honestly had I just been able to get the stuff by now I might have just stuck it out with my Sony just for video (and maybe later picked up a dedicated RF Canon video camera if I found the R5 truly lacking?). It's been annoying because *everything* from Canon seems sold out (even adapters), and despite putting my preorder for the R5 in the first hour or so, I now look like I'm going to be waiting a good long while. Meanwhile, I've received the first RF lens (85mm), but I'm going to ship it back because I don't want the 1 month return to expire without ever having tried it out.

I got my RF/EF adapter when the R came out. I had a preorder in at a large retailer at 8:02AM, but I ended up getting it from another retailer sooner (just arrived today). I would suggest renting the R to test out the RF 85. It's a great lens. :)

I remember when the R first came out and the talking heads dumped on it because it lagged Sony in AF, video, DR, responsiveness, etc. But Canon's trump card was RF glass. There is a reason why so many of us ended up getting the R. Now the talking heads are dumping on Canon for it's overheating times in high video IQ modes. But now, Canon has excellent RF glass and bodies that rival the Sony A9II in frame rate while delivering higher video modes and for a lower price. Sony still has better video, but they always have. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I’m told by my shop I could order today and get it next week. If I don’t order now, then it will be first week of September. So I’m not sure the delay is anything close to what’s rumored.
Its likely that the shop has some ordered and on the way. Their next order may take a long time to arrive. I noticed one seller that I sometimes buy from is giving less than 2 weeks shipping which matches the mid August dates I've seen.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
tolmasky, please don't be upset but your thoughts just make me *lol*

The time gap between the 5D Mark III and Mark IV was about two years,
Wrong as stated above. Don't expect a R5 II before at least 4 years. Please do a propper research.

I was hoping to start transitioning to RF now, but under my new thinking that would mean getting EOS R to hold me over
Start now - right away.
Depending on your budget, get the R5 as it will be a brilliant tool for you, except for the point if you are a lot into video and fear the "overheating issue".
Keep in mind that the used R5 will sell quite well when the R5 II comes out and if you want to change.

as there's probably not going to be an RF-to-EF adapter to use RF lenses on an EF body. I'm curious if anyone else is having similar thoughts along these lines.
Please do a propper research here as well. As the flange distance of RF (20 mm) is shorter than EF (44 mm) there is no space for an adaptor.
EF on R body works.
RF on old body will never work.

Have fun with your GAS. ;)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

I would opt for R5. The difference is more mpixels but not only that. R5 has a Dual Gain sensor. I doubt R6 has it (To tell the truth I haven't seen any information about R6 so I could be mistaken there). Also R5 can be charged by an external pack more efficiently (according to information R6's battery gets empty even with a battery pack connected only by a slower rate, while R5 stays the same or increases charge by a little. And R5 has better body construction).

Upvote 0

What will you do when the EOS R5 is the equivalent of the 5DSR. There was no MARKII

Upvote 0
Please do a propper research here as well. As the flange distance of RF (20 mm) is shorter than EF (44 mm) there is no space for an adaptor.
EF on R body works.
RF on old body will never work.

To be clear, my great earth-shattering mistake here is that I said "probably not going to be" instead of "absolutely not going to be". They both lead to the same exact conclusion... Believing it to be never would just have made me feel stronger about my original conclusion. Which for the record, I qualified with "probably" to avoid someone saying "well, actually, if you're willing to hack your lens by...". Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

Depending on your budget, get the R5 as it will be a brilliant tool for you, except for the point if you are a lot into video and fear the "overheating issue".

I "got" an R5, as much as you can "get" one right now at least. I said this in the original post, it's sitting as a preorder for who knows how long. There is a weird vein of antagonism in this post towards someone who *wants* to switch to RF glass -- if you read my other reply you'll see that the mention of a dedicated RF video camera recently makes me less worried about the overheating issue.

Anyways, if you found my post as hilarious as you said, just wait until you find out about this thing called "comedy" where people make actual jokes and not inconsequential mistakes in qualifying the feasibility of making adapters.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
First of all:
Anyways, if you found my post as hilarious as you said, ...
As I tried to say in my opener, I didn' want to offend you, and I never thought about this to be hilarious.
But I really had to laugh, to be true. Because you didn't do your homework and that's a truth.
And that is something I expect from everyone planing to spend so much money.
At least I always do so.

I apologize for hurting your feelings. Sorry for that!

And I try to get back to rational arguments, as I did with the rest of my first post.

I "got" an R5, as much as you can "get" one right now at least. I said this in the original post, it's sitting as a preorder for who knows how long.
Sorry, but I read your initial post like "I have it on preorder but I want to cancel it."
Having somethin on preoder and not in your hands to me is not having it at all. That's my opinion and you can understand this, too.

... towards someone who *wants* to switch to RF glass -- if you read my other reply you'll see that the mention of a dedicated RF video camera recently makes me less worried about the overheating issue.
And when you go back to my first post you can see that I second this your desire to go forward in that way and to not falter.

So I hope that everything is settled here.
If not please let me know.

Upvote 0