Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I couldn't agree more!!!

I finally went in 2019 (I initially wanted to in 2003 and it never worked out) and I wanted to go back ever since. I have to be patient, it is in our plans for Christmas 2026/ January 2027
Individual travel (rental, hotels) or organised?
I want to get there too, don't know when. But first: Japan (rental + hotels).

Upvote 0
Individual travel (rental, hotels) or organised?
I want to get there too, don't know when. But first: Japan (rental + hotels).
It was a self-planned individual travel. I stayed mostly at airbnb´s or hostels and only a few hotels (Auckland and Wellington). I mostly chose "real airbnbs" meaning accommodations where the host actually lives, too. Also, I picked the airbnb not by the room/ house apartment itself, instead I read about the people. If they sounded interesting, I booked. That way I got to meet a lof of nice people :)

In Auckland and Wellington I didn't need a car. Plus, the first trip to Cape Reinga et all up north I did by bus in order to save money. For the rest of the trip I found a neat car rental:

https://www.apexrentals.co.nz/

One part of their concept is that their cars aren't brand new. They have older, sometimes used models which really brings the price down. Compared to sixt, budget et all is was about 40% of their price.

I just look in my records:
20 day car rental = 480 € including insurance (full coverage)
so ≈ 40 NZ$/ day

You still get clean, perfectly functioning cars and the complete roadside service is provided as well. On the south island I had a six year old Ford Focus with 80K miles on it. It worked perfectly. Plus, it really helps your conscious driving on dust and gravel roads when your rental already has several dents and scratches :) I´d totally recommend it! I wish something like that would exist in other parts of the world, for example British Colombia, Canada :)

Edit: I should mention: I went in August/ September. That's offseason for traveling in New Zealand.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Thank you very much.
Apexrentals.co.nz sounds really good! And off-season too, the interesting sites will be less crammed, that's what I'm looking for.
I guess it's time to buy a map...:)
Your welcome! August/ beginning of September was perfect for me. On the North Island, the weather is perfectly fine. I usually wore a jeans and sweater, a jacket only at night. On the South Island (I hadn't booked till I got to Auckland) I waited for the seven-day weather forecast because weather can be nasty. For me, it was really, really good (sunny, 11-16°C) plus ALL the places basically had no tourist :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Only been to NZ once and did the South Island. I went in April and the Waterfalls didn't have the volume flowing. We missed the bad weather but just before we left a couple of storms took out access to one of the falls we wanted to see, and a bridge that limited access to the west coast. Maybe it's coming from Sydney, but the first night I reckon I had every bit of clothing I had on :LOL:

Purakaunui Falls

1X7D0131.jpg

Christie Falls, Milford Sound Road

1X7C9612_1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Your welcome! August/ beginning of September was perfect for me. On the North Island, the weather is perfectly fine. I usually wore a jeans and sweater, a jacket only at night. On the South Island (I hadn't booked till I got to Auckland) I waited for the seven-day weather forecast because weather can be nasty. For me, it was really, really good (sunny, 11-16°C) plus ALL the places basically had no tourist :)
Sounds real good! :)

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Thanks everyone...
Great to see! I love Ithaca and the Finger Lakes. Now that I've got better lenses, I'll have to drop in again.
It is a great getaway location, hike/walk a glen in the morning, explore the rest of the region (creameries, wineries, breweries, cideries, farms, Ithica, the lakes, Cornell, etc,) in the afternoon

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful shots, danfaz.
a025.gif

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Beautiful shots, danfaz.
a025.gif
Thanks, Click!
I really love the second photo. Was it the set where you lock the CPL in place with a screw and then adjust the VND?
Thanks, Eric, I think that's my fav, too!
Yep, you set the CPL first, then adjust the ND as needed. Pretty cool set, very high quality.

Upvote 0